+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 28 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819202122232425262728 LastLast

Thread: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Book #7

Somewhere in the middle of the North Atlantic

Re: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Book #7

Click to see Spoiler:
    An open letter to J.K. Rowling

And so it ends. Thank you for not only affording us a glimpse into your magical world, but allowing us to become completely immersed in it through your wonderful storytelling. A world where the skies are searched instead of the mailbox for daily mail; a world where a flying car not only gets us to school when we miss the train, but saves us from certain death after wandering into forbidden areas; a world where the subjects of portraits move and leave their frames at will; a world where the World Quidditch Cup could give the Superbowl a run for its money in terms of attendance and fan adoration; a world where we can travel by Floo Powder and Apparition so as not to have to deal with the hassles of public transportation; a world where pup tents become fairly spacious living quarters complete with a kitchen, dining area, and bedrooms upon entering; and a world where a hippogriff demands just a little bit of respect before offering his aid to free an innocent man, and a house-elf dies a heroic death.

Thank you for Platform 9 ĺ and the Hogwarts Express, the magical train that, while we stuff ourselves with Chocolate Frogs, Pumpkin Pasties, and Licorice Wands, takes us to this incredible world that youíve created. Thank you for Hogwarts, where the staircases change; where thereís an unlimited supply of Pumpkin Juice; where you can tickle a pear and nick snacks to get you through an all-night study session or celebration; where Transfiguration, Herbology, Charms, Defense Against the Dark Arts, History of Magic, and Divination replace the usual courses of study in the Muggle world (although thereís always Muggle Studies if you question the function of a rubber duck or have a penchant for collecting anything electrical); where you wonít find the usual list of school supplies such as wands, quills, parchment, or cauldrons at your local Target; where the preferred method of communication away from the prying ears of an adult is an enchanted coin, instead of a cell phone; where Auto-Answer Quills, Remembralls, Detachable Cribbing Cuffs, and Self-Correcting Ink take the place of crib-notes and sideward glances at fellow studentsí papers when trying to pull a fast one on a teacher; and where Nosebleed Nougats and Puking Pastilles (may you rest in peace, Fred) come in handy when attempting to ditch classes.

Thank you for helping us to teach our children that, although sometimes painful to accept, death is a part of life. Thank you for helping us to convince them that, although sometimes difficult, itís sometimes necessary to stand up to our friends and to fight for what we believe in. Thank you for helping us to teach our children to show empathy, kindness, and understanding to those who seemingly deserve it the least. Thank you for helping us to show them that every human being is worth knowing, even those that canít seem to keep track of their pet frog, have a penchant for wearing radish earrings and butterbeer cork necklaces, live in the U-Bend of a toilet, or have an annoying habit of hoping to photograph us at every opportunity. Not only will they treasure your friendship, they just may be there when you need them the most.

Thank you for reminding us that help will always come to those who ask for it; that those weíve loved and lost never really leave us, but remain in our hearts forever; that although friendships are sometimes tested, our true friends will always see us through the tough times, and are even willing to sacrifice their own lives for those friendships; that loyalty is rewarded; that we canít go wrong when we trust those we believe in; that, although our vaults at Gringotts may be filled to the brim with Galleons, Sickles, and Knuts, love is what matters most; and that patience, courage, resourcefulness, and determination will see us through when it seems that nothing else will.

And so it ends. Or does it? For, just as Dumbledore will only have left Hogwarts when none there are loyal to him, the recurring themes of friendship, loyalty, and love in the Harry Potter series will only leave us when we are no longer loyal to these sometimes tough to develop qualities in a person. And theyíre worth fighting for.

Thank you, Ms. Rowling. Itís been quite a ride.

Also,
    Click to see Spoiler:
    I probably need to re-read it, but what was the point of Harry having the stone, and walking into the forest with his dead relatives?
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Spoose;2485914;
    I have another question for anyone who is finished:

Click to see Spoiler:
    What was with the "naked, child like figure" flapping and mewling near Harry and Dumbledore in the "dream" chapter? It bothered Harry quite a bit at the beginning, then he never noticed it any more. What was THAT supposed to represent?
    I think it was
    Click to see Spoiler:
    the part of Voldemort's soul that used to live in Harry's scar

I LOVED this book. And I too tried to read it slowly but still finished it in a few hours . It was a really fitting end.

There's only a few things that bugged me. One was the epilogue - c'mon JK we love the ones mentioned but what about the others?? I'd like to know what happened to
    Click to see Spoiler:
    George (esp him!), Mr & Mrs Weasley, Bill & Fleur, Charlie, Percy, Professor McGonagall, Luna, Hagrid, Grawp, Kreacher AND the Dursley's - where'd they go? The epilogue sort of kept in line with the rest of the book narrative but I think so much more information could have been shared if done from a newspaper or radio perspective - or by combining the two. Perhaps Harry could be listening to it or reading it after dropping the kids off? Or perhaps he could have bumped into someone he hadn't seen since then. Or, or... so many possibilities!

The other thing was the chapter in
    Click to see Spoiler:
    the Hallows. On one hand it was fabulous as it explained so many things. On the other hand it gave away the ending. It would have been really dramatic to skip that, skip Harry's reply to Narcissa Malfoy, and go right to the march to Hogwarts where we would learn with everyone else of his survival. But if that had been done the Hallows chapter wouldn't have really fit unless it was part of him retelling the tell to Ron & Hermione

Oh, and the killing of
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Lupin AND Tonks - why both?!? I understand needing to show how the battle really affected Harry but he'd already lost a great deal - his parents, Sirius, Dumbledore, Hedwig, Fred, etc. Couldn't she kill off a teacher or two instead? Or leave one of them to raise Teddy?

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy;2486164;
    Also,
    Click to see Spoiler:
    I probably need to re-read it, but what was the point of Harry having the stone, and walking into the forest with his dead relatives?
    Click to see Spoiler:
    To shield him from the Dementors and to give him comfort as he walked to his death. The only other way to pass the Dementors is by using a Patronus which he couldn't do if he wanted to remain unseen.

Quote Originally Posted by helpmeturnitoff;2486165;
    I think it was
    Click to see Spoiler:
    the part of Voldemort's soul that used to live in Harry's scar

Ah, that does make sense. I'd wondered about that too.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

I started this yesterday afternoon and am 1/2 way through Chapter 9. To be continued later today. I kind got a little choked up when
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Hedwig and Mad-Eye died.
    And reading Dumbledore's obituary. I can't wait to read more! Right now, Hermione, Harry and Ron are on Tottenam Road (or something like that). And I never thought I'd read a character that annoyed more than Umbridge did in OOTP. "Auntie Muriel" could be Umbridge's twin the way she sounds in this book. So can someone explain to me what exactly is a Hoarcrux (or however you spell it)? I took it as meaning something that carries someone's soul. For instance, Tom Riddle's diary in COS kind of contained his soul and when HP stabbed it, it released that soul. Am I understanding it correctly? And what exactly is a Squib? In Chapter 8, Auntie Muriel keeps saying something about Dumbledore's sister being a Squib.
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

Really loved it. JK is just brilliant. My really rambling love of this series:

Click to see Spoiler:
    Even the middle part where it was frustrating that Horcruxes weren't being found and Harry had lost his broom, Hedwig and then his wand was broken and Ron had run off, etc. etc. was brilliant because it made you feel what they were feeling. The task was not easy and it was frustrating because they could barely do anything without Tom Riddle getting in the midst, so finding the Horcruxes was even more difficult than ever. I felt how defeated they felt that nothing was happening and they had few leads. Loved that they broke into the Ministry, Gringotts and then Hogwarts. Loved that Harry defeated Riddle by doing the same thing his mother and father did. Failing to challenge Riddle in order to save another/others. And, the rarity of the invisibility cloak really explains why Harry was able to get away with so much, since people didn't expect such a thing. Loved the humanity that goes with all of the characters. Everyone had certain flaws. I will say that Hermione was nearest to perfect. She deserves nearly as much credit as Harry, and he could never have done it without her.
    Last edited by kyrjar; 07-23-2007 at 12:39 AM.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by CCL;2485859;
    I thought it was a thrilling read.
    Click to see Spoiler:
    I'm so glad the core three survived. And I missed Hogwarts so I was glad the ending was set there; it was quite fitting. The only thing that disappointed me was the epilogue. I felt it was too much about the new batch of kids, rather than the old batch. It was nice to know that Hermione and Ron & Ginny and Harry ended up together. But I would have liked to know what they were doing now, career-wise. We know Neville ended up teaching at Hogwarts, but what of Luna? And I'd have liked to have heard about the rest of the Weasleys.
    Click to see Spoiler:
    I agree. I personally would have rather just seen say, five years in the future, and what they are all doing for the careers, where all the characters are, rather then the kids. That way avid fan-fic writers can pick up were she left off. I would of just liked to see where everyone ended up, and not their kids. Plus I really didn't like the names of Harry's kids being after everyone else, maybe their middle name, but not their first name (except for James)

FORT Fogey

WAIT... someone answer this, I guess I missed it...
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Harry lost his broom too? I was balling over Hedwig, I didn't know he lost his broom!

My copy will arrive today, so I'll stay away from this thread until I've finished it. Don't want to be spoiled!
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

+ Reply to Thread