+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 28 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Book #7

Somewhere in the middle of the North Atlantic

Re: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Book #7

Arielflies - Thanks! You have a thumping good, uninterrupted good read as well! Did you end up inadvertently reading the review? (No More Poo - hehe)

veejer - You bring up a good point. That's one thing that those who are ordering it from Amazon don't have to worry about. I actually asked the salesperson at Borders if they'd ever had a problem with it in the past. She said they hadn't, but I can certainly see it happening. Although most people who attend the midnight release parties are die-hard fans who would never even think about doing something like that, there are those that would do it just for kicks.

CCL - Mad, indeed!

Regarding the review, I'm going to read it after I've read the book because I'm curious to see if I feel that they gave anything away. It's my understanding that they don't come right out and say "So and so dies" or whatever. But it's also my understanding that, although casual readers of the books may not be spoiled, there's enough information in there to spoil it for those who have spent some time analyzing and forming theories as to what will happen. In addition, there really isn't just one ending to the book, so to say. Yeah, I suppose the ultimate question is whether Harry will live or die, but the entire book is really a series of "endings" if you think about it, as questions to a number of issues are answered. And it's my understanding that the review spoils some of that. (Bandy - good for you!)

ArchieComicFan - thanks for the heads up on that. It should be a good interview.

dberk - Just to add a little bit to what Lucy said. It's ironic, but the major Harry Potter sites are actually the safe sites to visit. MuggleNet has shut their forums down completely until July 24th. They apparently have some things going on today so I'm probably going to pop in there throughout the day as I'm getting things done around the house (where did that house-elf run off to?) but, while they've said there are no spoilers in the video, they make it clear that there could be in the comments to it. So I can safely watch the video as I trust the folks that run MuggleNet, but not necessarily those that post comments to it so I'll stay away from those. HPANA has taken a number of precautions so I feel safe going there as well. They've even disabled all links to external sites! Right now, those are really the only sites I'm visiting. I've followed the soap "Days of Our Lives" since I was a teenager. Although I don't really have the time to watch it anymore, I still like to occasionally pop into messageboards to see what's happening on it. Even though it's not HP-related, someone might make an off-hand comment about what happens, such as "Oh, and by the way, can you believe that so and so died?" While I don't think it would be intentional, it could happen if someone posted without thinking that they could spoil it for someone.

I think the real "danger zones" are the Harry Potter sites that are set up as Yahoo Groups or MSN Groups with a few hundred members or so. Those are the types of sites that some smarta** is going to post spoilers on simply because they can. It could even happen here so, unless I recognize the poster as a "regular" of FORT (and therefore, I can trust them), I wouldn't read their post.

CONSTANT VIGILANCE!!
    Last edited by Carla; 07-20-2007 at 01:43 PM. Reason: fix tags

CCL

Regarding newspapers printing spoilers:
    In our local newspaper (The Toronto Star) they've been printing Harry Potter articles in the run-up to the publishing of the last book. Different things like an article interviewing people on how they got into the books, or an article on literary conferences about Harry Potter - stuff like that. They're interesting and it's nice to have a bit of Harry Potter in the lead-up to July 21st. I've been faithfully reading them. Anyhow, the other day they printed an article about the last book. They had a circle half-way down that said something like "Warning - Spoilers" so I didn't even start the article. And then I was reading in another newspaper that The Star article had printed who was going to die (based on the pages that someone had uploaded to the internet). Now if I hadn't seen the spoiler notice and started reading the article - and remember, the notice was half-way down the article, not at the top. And reading articles on Harry Potter was something I'd been doing regularly for the past couple of weeks, so of course I expected to read one on that day, not thinking that it would be full of spoilers- anyhow, if I had started reading unawares, or if I had skipped ahead in that section of the paper and come across the second half of the article without having seen the spoiler notice, then I would have been spoiled, even though I didn't want to be. Which would have been very annoying. Similary last night I was on CNN when Glen Beck's program came on. At the beginning he announces what they are going to talk about. He said they were going to be talking about the New York Times and Harry Potter so I quickly changed the channel. I don't know if he said any spoilers but I didn't want to take the chance. But what if I had turned it on in the middle of the program, unaware of the discussion topic, and all of a sudden he's talking about what is going to happen in the final chapter (or whatever)? Then it's too late.
    What it boils down to is this: If I go snooping around the internet I know that on certain sites I will be able to find spoilers. I know that even on some forums people will post spoilers willy-nilly (though not the good people at Fort). I can be careful to avoid those sites. But I don't expect to come across spoilers while reading the newspaper or watching the news. I guess the safest course is to avoid all media for the next few days. So what if I don't know what else is happening in the world, I guess.
    Last edited by CCL; 07-20-2007 at 02:07 PM.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Crabby Cancerian remote_goddess's Avatar
    Where everything has a slight "down-under" flavor and all the pretty boys are named Michael Johns...

Question - I have always purchased the new books a few days after the initial release date, and never had any issues with lines, sell-outs, etc. But this time I knew I'd never be able to wait so I pre-ordered from Borders. I got my confirmation this week and it said I have to go pick up a wrist band on Friday for my guaranteed copy. So I did that on my way in to work... but now I'm confuzzled: do I need to get to the bookstore hours early still for a spot in line or do I just show up at midnight or whatever and buy the book? I didn't think about it this morning or I would have asked the clerk at Borders...

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by remote_goddess;2483933;
    Question - I have always purchased the new books a few days after the initial release date, and never had any issues with lines, sell-outs, etc. But this time I knew I'd never be able to wait so I pre-ordered from Borders. I got my confirmation this week and it said I have to go pick up a wrist band on Friday for my guaranteed copy. So I did that on my way in to work... but now I'm confuzzled: do I need to get to the bookstore hours early still for a spot in line or do I just show up at midnight or whatever and buy the book? I didn't think about it this morning or I would have asked the clerk at Borders...
    Well, one thing is for sure, you have to BE there to get the book. If the band has a number on it, all you know is you have a book ready for you. Good luck getting the book!

Yeah, I hear ya. I had the news on last night, and I turned the channel when they started talking about the leak. CONSTANT VIGILANCE! I think you're right. A person basically has to avoid all media if they don't want to be spoiled. The release of the last book is such a phenomenon, that you don't know where it will turn up. It's also kind of a bummer that a person has to read the book fairly fast. It's the last book and I'd like to make it last, so to say, but then I run the risk of being spoiled. I can hole up in my home avoiding all contact with the outside world for only so long! You never know if someone in line at the supermaket or post office might say something. That's why I'm going to get it read in a couple of days. I'm going hiking with a friend at 7:00 a.m. on Saturday morning, but she knows not to say anything.

I'm finding that I kind of have mixed emotions today. I've been so excited about the book coming out, but I'm finding myself feeling a bit sad too. I only discovered the series after the sixth book came out. I can only imagine how some of these kids feel who have literally grown up with the books. Emerson started MuggleNet when he was twelve! The sites will continue for quite some time as there will be plenty to talk about (as well as two movies to look forward to), but things will be different, that's for sure.

remote goddess - Thanks for bringing that up. I also reserved a copy at Borders, but they didn't say anything about needing a wristband. I'm going to stop in there on my way to Target and ask to make sure. Thanks!
    Last edited by Carla; 07-20-2007 at 02:44 PM. Reason: additional response

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by Carla;2483961;
    I'm finding that I kind of have mixed emotions today. I've been so excited about the book coming out, but I'm finding myself feeling a bit sad too. I only discovered the series after the sixth book came out. I can only imagine how some of these kids feel who have literally grown up with the books. Emerson started MuggleNet when he was twelve! The sites will continue for quite some time as there will be plenty to talk about (as well as two movies to look forward to), but things will be different, that's for sure.
    It's definitely going to be bittersweet. Stephen King wrote a good article in Entertainment Weekly about how the ending is not going to satisfy a lot of people - 1) because there is no way one ending can satisfy everyone and 2) because there will be that sense of loss at the end when the story is done for good and people's reactions to the book will be coloured by that sensation.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

There are Cameras?!? Arielflies's Avatar

I think I almost received my Amazon order today - whoopsie. I've been tracking the UPS shipment (naturally) and have followed it from arrival in US (LA) yesterday scanned out then scanned in at the Aliso Viejo (Orange County) facility, then scanned out of Aliso Viejo at 4AM this morning. It was scanned back into Aliso Viejo at 10AM. My theory is that it was on the truck when someone said, "wait a gosh darn minute, or oops, or omg - return the truck, return the truck!"

I truly, truly hope that my shipment is FIRST on the truck in the morning. I know I'll be opening the front door every five minutes until it arrives. Obsessive - NOT!

Have FUN at your parties tonight!

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Because of your post, I stopped at Borders while running errands. Nobody from Borders had told me that I needed a writsband. :nono I'm going at 8:00 so I probably would have been able to get one, but maybe not. And the confirmation slip they gave me when I ordered my book would not have been enough, so thanks again! It's my understanding that, as long as you have the wristband, you are guaranteed a copy tonight. They probably don't give out more wristbands than they have books on hand. I would call the Border's at which you're going to buy your book to be sure though.

Arielflies - tracking your order. I love it! hehe

Sorry for the double post - too late to edit!

For those of you who are interested, the Room of Requirement is open on Rowling's website.

J.K.Rowling Official Site - Harry Potter and more

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

Given the time, not sure this post matters now lol, as I am getting ready to take my daughter to Borders for their party and our spot in line. Yes you DO need to go asap even if you did a pre-order. I was told by Borders given the book, you had to pick up with in 24 hours. They wouldn't hold it beyond tomorrow. Always a good idea to call and double check. Your wrist band is only to show what group you will be in and hearded up to check out. You can go at 9pm or 12 midnight your colour only tells you if you will be there 15 min or 60 min as you wait to pay.
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

+ Reply to Thread