+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 28 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Book #7

Re: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Book #7

The library called today to confirm what I already knew, that I was first on their reserve list. She remembered that I was first for the last book as well.

They are having a party starting at 10:30 and then reserved books can be checked out at 12:01.

My son claims that he is going to wear earplugs starting at midnight until we get home as we heard reports last time of people reading the end and driving by lines at stores shouting, "Dumbledore dies!!!"

My son has first dibs and then my daughter, so I probably won't get it until Saturday evening or Sunday morning.

CCL

I wonder if traffic will be down on this site on the weekend, not to mention the regular internet, seeing as how a lot of people are going to be avidly flipping pages in their Harry Potter books instead of paging through webpages. My mom invited me to the movies and I was all "Are you mad, woman!?!" Next weekend, fine, but not this weekend.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

I can't wait for this! Which is weird because I really haven't read any of the HP books except for SS and COS. I just went to see OOTP today and I was disappointed that there wasn't more Hagrid and McGonnagal (or however you spell it). Not my favorite of the series so far but it was very good.
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

WARNING!!!! I just read on the Mugglenet.com site that the New York Times received a copy from a bookstore and posted a review on their website. The review is said to contain huge spoilers.

This really upsets me. A major news outlet callously disregarding the fun of first read - ugh! I would imagine their bookseller is also in breach of the confidentiality contract - big trouble all around.

Give those editors at the Times No More Poo from Weasleys as punishment.

Quote Originally Posted by veejer;2480410;
    The library called today to confirm what I already knew, that I was first on their reserve list. She remembered that I was first for the last book as well.

They are having a party starting at 10:30 and then reserved books can be checked out at 12:01.

My son claims that he is going to wear earplugs starting at midnight until we get home as we heard reports last time of people reading the end and driving by lines at stores shouting, "Dumbledore dies!!!"
    My son has first dibs and then my daughter, so I probably won't get it until Saturday evening or Sunday morning.
    Honestly, what is wrong with people trying to spoil other peoples fun. There is a special place in hell for people like that.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies;2481070;
    WARNING!!!! I just read on the Mugglenet.com site that the New York Times received a copy from a bookstore and posted a review on their website. The review is said to contain huge spoilers.

This really upsets me. A major news outlet callously disregarding the fun of first read - ugh! I would imagine their bookseller is also in breach of the confidentiality contract - big trouble all around.

Give those editors at the Times No More Poo from Weasleys as punishment.
    I find it really hard to believe a major news outlet would disregard an embargo like that. But I also know mugglenet is pretty trustworthy. And I don't dare go to the NYT to check it out, in case it's true, as I don't want to be spoiled.

ETA: ok, my curiousity to know if there WAS a review was too great. There definitely is one on the Times' website. I did not click it to read it. I hope that if you do click it, it contains enough warnings about not reading further if you don't want spoilers that anyone not seeking that could back away. But I'm pretty disappointed in the Times as well.
    Last edited by Lucy; 07-19-2007 at 01:11 AM.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy;2481233;
    I find it really hard to believe a major news outlet would disregard an embargo like that. But I also know mugglenet is pretty trustworthy. And I don't dare go to the NYT to check it out, in case it's true, as I don't want to be spoiled.

ETA: ok, my curiousity to know if there WAS a review was too great. There definitely is one on the Times' website. I did not click it to read it. I hope that if you do click it, it contains enough warnings about not reading further if you don't want spoilers that anyone not seeking that could back away. But I'm pretty disappointed in the Times as well.
    I didn't even go there because I trust Mugglenet and I definately wouldn't click if I did. The thing is - I did take an earlier link today to the NYTimes regarding stories about the tight security measures being taken. Do I laugh or cry?

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy;2481233;
    But I'm pretty disappointed in the Times as well.
    Me too, Lucy. This only confirms for me that I need to lock the door, turn off the phone and stay away from TV and the Internet on the 21st until I finish the book.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

I just read the Michiko Kakutani review on the Times' web site. I really don't care about spoilers because I've no intention of reading the book for a long time, if ever. It does not give away any great big secrets; by that I mean, it doesn't give away who would live or who would die. But it does give away some other bits of information about plotting and the use of recurrent themes and background and the epilogue. I think that a media black-out is the best course for anyone not wanting to know anything at all, but all-in-all, the review is pretty light on anything too spoiler-ish.

Harry Potter Scribe Gives NBC Exclusive Debriefing - Today's News: My Take | TVGuide.com

In her only television interview after Saturday's highly anticipated release of the seventh and final installment in the Harry Potter series, author J.K. Rowling will sit down with NBC's Meredith Vieira in Edinburgh, Scotland. This exclusive interview marks the first time Rowling will talk about the worldwide reaction to the series' much-anticipated and speculated-about finale, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

The interview will air on Today on Thursday, July 26, and Friday, July 27 (before day camp), and during a one-hour Dateline special airing Sunday, July 29.

+ Reply to Thread