+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 28 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Book #7

Re: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Book #7

I thought you Harry Potter fans might be interested in this.

Harry Potter spoilers proliferate - Yahoo! News

By HILLEL ITALIE, AP National Writer Tue Jul 17, 7:59 PM ET

NEW YORK - In the final days before the world learns whether Harry Potter lives or dies, spoilers or those pretending to spoil are spreading on the Internet

On Tuesday, scanned pages of what may be the entire text of "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" were circulating among Web users. A separate link, ZOMG SPOILERS, displayed what the site claimed to be a seven-page epilogue and the table of contents from "Deathly Hallows," coming out July 21 under ultra-tight security.

Similar information appeared Monday on http://spoilerboy.googlepages.com/home.

Meanwhile, a resident of Vancouver, British Columbia, has said that he downloaded hundreds of pages from the 784-page book and U.S. publisher Scholastic, Inc., has been busy ordering would-be spoilers to remove their information from the Internet.

"I'm guessing we're in the double digits," says Scholastic spokeswoman Kyle Good, who added that requiring material to be pulled down did not mean it was authentic.

"There's so much out there that it's confusing for fans. Our lawyers are trying to keep down the amount of spoiler traffic that's out there and clear it from places where fans might be reading."

Anxious about keeping a lock on publishing's ultimate mystery, Scholastic has refused all along to say whether a spoiler has the real book or not. According to Good, there is more than one version of the full Potter text on the Internet. She said the different versions all "looked convincing" and all had different content from each other.

Author J.K. Rowling, who has said two major characters will die, has begged the public not to give away the ending to her seventh and final Potter book. Fan sites such as The Leaky Cauldron - Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (book 7), Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (movie 5) news, images, videos, podcast and more and MuggleNet | The ULTIMATE Harry Potter Site - Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, JK Rowling, rumors, news, forums, images, video, and more! have vowed to keep spoilers away.

"A lot or our tips about spoilers are coming from fans," Good says. "There's a groundswell from fans who find these links and send them to us, saying, `I'm not going to look at this, but somebody told me about it.'"

"I just hope they find these people and punish them accordingly," said Leaky Cauldron Web master Melissa Anelli. "This is exceedingly wrong and mean-spirited. Let people enjoy their book, for Pete's sake."

Last month, a hacker who identified himself as "Gabriel" claimed to have broken into the computer system of British publisher Bloomsbury PLC and posted key plot points on Harry Potter spoilers claim on fulldisclosure.

Those plot points differ from what is revealed on ZOMG SPOILERS, which contradicts itself on the fate of Potter's buddy Ron.

"There is a lot of material on the Internet that claims to come from `Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows,' but anyone can post anything on the Internet and you can't believe everything you see online," Good says.

"We all have our theories on how the series will end, but the only way we'll know for sure is to read the book ourselves at 12:01 a.m. on July 21."

Only days left...bated breath. My guesses are as follows:

Hagrid dies (toward the end but not at the end)
    One of the Weasleys - hopefully not any of them - they are too precious
    Neville - possibly

The following is NOT a spoiler, but speculation.

Click to see Spoiler:
    There is speculation that Harry is a horcrux implanted when Voldemort tried to kill him and ended up destroying his own body (per Mugglenet theorists) but, I don't know...because if he thinks or knows he is a horcrux, he will destroy himself and leave Neville to kill Voldemort. I hope that is NOT the case.

Also the last word was to have been scar...but JKR said she changed it. I think (if Harry survives) that the last sentence may be - The man who lives.

Down to counting days and hours.

Kao

Ive seen so much "spoiler leaking" and from mean-spirited people that I don't know what to think because from what I've heard, all the sources contradict one another! I've come to the conclusion that a good chunk of people are going to die in Book 7. Supposely about 450 pages are online in .pdf form, and some nutter created 7 pages of epilogue that looks real at first glance, but does't hold up at a professional glance, so I call BS on that one, plus I broke down and read the last paragraph and trust me when I tell you it's lame. Staying away from the .pdf, but people online who have read it (who were nice and didn't want to spoil) says that the writing style is Jo's and she really outdid herself in this one, so I don't know what to think.

Then there's the nutter who filmed himself opening one of the boxes and reading different parts and giving away plot information and posted it on You Tube. Ugh. Another idiot also posted a death list in a thread that had absolutely nothing to do with HP (which annoyed me) and all I have to say is if it's true, people are going to be absolutely BAWLING.

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies;2479608;
    The following is NOT a spoiler, but speculation.

Click to see Spoiler:
    There is speculation that Harry is a horcrux implanted when Voldemort tried to kill him and ended up destroying his own body (per Mugglenet theorists) but, I don't know...because if he thinks or knows he is a horcrux, he will destroy himself and leave Neville to kill Voldemort. I hope that is NOT the case.
    Also speculation....
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Wormtail owes Harry a life debt and having been around Voldemort so much perhaps he knows about horcruxes and will help Harry remove it before Harry kills Voldemort.

I admit to succumbing to reading some of the internet spoilers and I'm so confused! Which is a good thing that some of them are contradictory because at least I'll still be surprised .

FORT Fanatic

I will not be going on the net or looking at any tv news until I have finished the book. If I find out anything before then I might just have to resort to the cruciatus curse!

CCL

There was an article in the paper today about the internet leaks. It was marked spoilers so I didn't read it. I like reading spoilers for shows and stuff but I really don't want to be spoiled for this book.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;2473413;
    People do die in children's books. Bridge to Terabithita (sp?), Summer of my German Soldier are two that I remember. Star Wars, basically a kids story has Obi Won (sp?) dying, a entire planet destroyed. The Golden Compass series has a major character die. Death and destruction does happen in childrens books.
    Old Yellar! I cried my eyes out over that one.

I'm so excited about this book! Sadly, my boys aren't much for reading and they have lost interest in the books. They still watch the movies, but I'd love to see them read the book.

I like the movies (except for the Prisoner of Azkaban). If for no other reason than just to see if I imagined the character to be anything close to JK's vision.

Everyone I know thinks Snape is a horrible, evil wizard, but I think it's the opposite. I cannot wait to see where she goes with him! I think I'm in the minority, but I won't be sad if Hagrid dies. He is not a favorite character for me. I also want to see what happens to Malfoy. Does he join the dark side or does he realize he doesn't have the heart for it and changes for the better? I just can't wait to get this book in my hot little hands!

Somewhere in the middle of the North Atlantic

Quote Originally Posted by WomynLee;2473924;
    That is too cool! You should post a picture!
    Hehe. Okay, if I can get one that isn't too dorky. Oh, wait a minute. I'm a forty-three year old woman who is going to be dressed in a Gryffindor outfit carrying a Sorting Hat and a "Monster Book of Monsters" purse (which I got finished!). They're all going to be dorky. Eh, it's all in fun.

Regarding the internet leaks, the major HP sites have some very strict "spoiler protection policies" in place. And, as has been mentioned, there's so much conflicting information out there now that it would be difficult to determine what is fact versus what is something dreamed up by someone wanting to stir up some trouble. So much can be done these days with respect to manipulating photos, text, etc. I'm more inclined to have been spoiled by the number of theories that I've read regarding numerous issues yet to be resolved. Theories that are well thought out and have developed over time by people I've gotten to "know" on the various HP sites as opposed to some "shocking" revelation at the last minute by someone. In any case, I think it's wise of the publisher to refrain from commenting one way or the other as to the accuracy of the leaks. That said, I think I'll start avoiding any sites that aren't job-search related, just in case an official source were to confirm something, but I don't think that will happen. (Like most fans, I don't want to know in advance. I'm looking forward to sitting down in the wee hours of the morning to read the final book and I don't want it spoiled!)

Anyway, it's almost here!

pillows plumped on my favorite reading couch - check
    plenty of finger food and beverages to last the weekend - check
    fresh bulb in my reading lamp - check
    box of tissues - check
    phone off - check
    doorbell disabled - check

Accio Book 7!

Quote Originally Posted by Carla;2480265;
    Hehe. Okay, if I can get one that isn't too dorky. Oh, wait a minute. I'm a forty-three year old woman who is going to be dressed in a Gryffindor outfit carrying a Sorting Hat and a "Monster Book of Monsters" purse (which I got finished!). They're all going to be dorky. Eh, it's all in fun.

Regarding the internet leaks, the major HP sites have some very strict "spoiler protection policies" in place. And, as has been mentioned, there's so much conflicting information out there now that it would be difficult to determine what is fact versus what is something dreamed up by someone wanting to stir up some trouble. So much can be done these days with respect to manipulating photos, text, etc. I'm more inclined to have been spoiled by the number of theories that I've read regarding numerous issues yet to be resolved. Theories that are well thought out and have developed over time by people I've gotten to "know" on the various HP sites as opposed to some "shocking" revelation at the last minute by someone. In any case, I think it's wise of the publisher to refrain from commenting one way or the other as to the accuracy of the leaks. That said, I think I'll start avoiding any sites that aren't job-search related, just in case an official source were to confirm something, but I don't think that will happen. (Like most fans, I don't want to know in advance. I'm looking forward to sitting down in the wee hours of the morning to read the final book and I don't want it spoiled!)

Anyway, it's almost here!

pillows plumped on my favorite reading couch - check
    plenty of finger food and beverages to last the weekend - check
    fresh bulb in my reading lamp - check
    box of tissues - check
    phone off - check
    doorbell disabled - check

Accio Book 7!
    Carla I agree about not going to any sites that might provide( even inadvertently) any spoilers. This morning Mugglenet placed a HUGE possible spoiler warning banner over comments on the article about the discovery of internet spoilers. I just have to stay away from the net.period.

My book is coming Saturday from Amazon (hopefully in the morning like the last book - I complimented the UPS delivery person for the promptness) but I'm wistfully imagining you going to the midnight (12:01AM) store sale. Please, please post a pic of your get-up.

P.S. I re-read the Half-Blood Prince too early (last weekend) so will have to read the final two chapters again on Friday for continuity...also have my tissues ready for the Dumbledore farewell. It's the centaurs arrow tribute that really gets to me...anyway...Carla and everyone - have a thumping good, uninterrupted read this weekend!

+ Reply to Thread