+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 28 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Book #7

Re: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Book #7

Quote Originally Posted by skyhigh79;2468065;
    Having read so many "expert" predictions. I have to say, I like the one who said that Harry wouldn't be killed off because these are CHildren's book and that would be too dark, even for JK Rowling. She has to leave some reason for new generations to read the series. So maybe I'm in for a shock, but I hope The Fab Trio live on...
    People do die in children's books. Bridge to Terabithita (sp?), Summer of my German Soldier are two that I remember. Star Wars, basically a kids story has Obi Won (sp?) dying, a entire planet destroyed. The Golden Compass series has a major character die. Death and destruction does happen in childrens books.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy;2473041;
    Veej, I worry there are too many Weasleys for them all to survive.
    Yes, that is a sad thought, Lucy. My reason for guessing about Percy/Mr. Weasley is because of the animosity between them. It will be resolved by one of them putting themselves on the line to save the other.

Somewhere in the middle of the North Atlantic

On Leno tonight - "Everyone's speculating about what will happen in Book 7 in the Harry Potter Series. I don't want to give too much away, but Harry starts dating Paris Hilton.....and then gets Hogwarts." hehe

I can't believe it's only a week away! There are so many theories and so much speculation out there, I wonder if any of the theories are even close. I mean, until Book 6, we hadn't even heard of horcruxes. I can't wait to see how it all plays out. Of course, like everyone else, I have my ideas about who will live or die, and some deaths would be more upsetting than others. But at this point, I just want there to be a definite ending. Even if that means that Harry, or any other character, has to die. I don't want one of those open-ended finals where it's up to the reader to decide how it ended.

Does anyone plan to go to any book release parties? I'm going to go to Borders - in costume! I have a complete costume that I got from Alivan's. (The neighbors - both kids and adults - loved it when I handed out candy in it at Halloween!) Robes, a Gryffindor sweater, tie, scarf, hat - the whole deal! I also have a sorting hat that I think I'll bring and I plan to make a "Monster Book of Monsters" purse this weekend if I get the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Carla;2473820;
    I'm going to go to Borders - in costume! I have a complete costume that I got from Alivan's. (The neighbors - both kids and adults - loved it when I handed out candy in it at Halloween!) Robes, a Gryffindor sweater, tie, scarf, hat - the whole deal! I also have a sorting hat that I think I'll bring and I plan to make a "Monster Book of Monsters" purse this weekend if I get the time.
    That is too cool! You should post a picture!

He he... star wars!? Now that you mention it, lots of similarities aren't there?! 2 guys and 1 girl are the main characters. Good versus evil... adventures, sort of magical (the force).. hmm I wonder if JK was a big star wars fan.

I don't consider Obi Won a main character and the other two books are not a series of books, but a finite book so killing off a character isn't quite as meaningful. I mean Mary Poppins, the Borrowers, Nancy Drew, the Hardy Boys... all series, the main character doesn't die in the end. I'm sure there are other examples. In My opinion, killing off Harry would be a terrible mistake, with regards to future generations. As it is, once all 7 books are made into films... well kids in the future may not even bother to read it and those who do want to read it may just jump to the last book, since the ending will be widely known.
    Tahoe bound....

Quote Originally Posted by skyhigh79;2474046;
    He he... star wars!? Now that you mention it, lots of similarities aren't there?! 2 guys and 1 girl are the main characters. Good versus evil... adventures, sort of magical (the force).. hmm I wonder if JK was a big star wars fan.

I don't consider Obi Won a main character and the other two books are not a series of books, but a finite book so killing off a character isn't quite as meaningful. I mean Mary Poppins, the Borrowers, Nancy Drew, the Hardy Boys... all series, the main character doesn't die in the end. I'm sure there are other examples. In My opinion, killing off Harry would be a terrible mistake, with regards to future generations. As it is, once all 7 books are made into films... well kids in the future may not even bother to read it and those who do want to read it may just jump to the last book, since the ending will be widely known.
    I can understand the author wanting to "kill off the main character" because from what I have read she does not want to have endless spinoff fanfiction ala Star Trek and Star Wars messing with her universe, her creation. Look what they did with all the endless James Bond movies after they ran out of books for plotlines. Also after all this time involved in the Harry Potter universe she may want to write among other themes and ideas but the fans are so enamoured with HP that any future books about other things may not be possible. It's like when Gilbert and Sullivan got tired of writing fantasical musical comedies and wanted to branch out and try other venues and gendres but their audience would not allow it. On one hand HP has made JKR incredibly wealthy but HP may have taken over her life and closed off other avenues of creativity. That is why some of the "younger" main actors have bulked about returning. Mark Hamill had the same problem after Star Wars and while he created a meaningful career as a stage actor as far as his movie fans are concerned he dropped of the face of the earth. Still it will be interesting to see what happens on July 21st I figure there will be folks staying up all night reading and we will be hearing from them the following day.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Who will die in Harry Potter 7

Who do you think which two main characters will die in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows?

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;2474384;
    I can understand the author wanting to "kill off the main character" because from what I have read she does not want to have endless spinoff fanfiction ala Star Trek and Star Wars messing with her universe, her creation. Look what they did with all the endless James Bond movies after they ran out of books for plotlines. Also after all this time involved in the Harry Potter universe she may want to write among other themes and ideas but the fans are so enamoured with HP that any future books about other things may not be possible. It's like when Gilbert and Sullivan got tired of writing fantasical musical comedies and wanted to branch out and try other venues and gendres but their audience would not allow it. On one hand HP has made JKR incredibly wealthy but HP may have taken over her life and closed off other avenues of creativity. That is why some of the "younger" main actors have bulked about returning. Mark Hamill had the same problem after Star Wars and while he created a meaningful career as a stage actor as far as his movie fans are concerned he dropped of the face of the earth. Still it will be interesting to see what happens on July 21st I figure there will be folks staying up all night reading and we will be hearing from them the following day.
    But aren't the Harry Potter characters trademarked? So they would be safe for however many years that copyright lasts. I do wonder if JK Rowling will write non-Harry Potter books in the future. Maybe she will, maybe she won't. She has the (monetary) freedom to follow her creative juices wherever they lead her. She can vanity publish whatever she wants and not have to care about sales. And even if any future work from her does not reach Harry Potter-levels, as it probably won't, she's made her mark and has nothing to prove. As for the films, I only recall Emma Watson balking at signing on for more Harry Potter movies, not the other two. But she's re-signed for the last two, as have Daniel Radcliffe & Rupert Grint.
    As for the final book: I do think Percy will be redeemed and reconciled with his family. But I don't think he will die. I think Snape will redeem himself by a last dying act and I think it would be a bit much to have the same happen with Percy.
    Last edited by CCL; 07-15-2007 at 02:07 PM.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Having just watched the new movie, the sphere with the prophecy says one must die for one to live, so either Vold. dies so Harry can live, or vice versa and I can't imagine she'd leave the series with V. alive. That's my take anyway. For Harry to die and V. to reign would be repeating the history of his parents. It would be much more uplifting for him to vindicate the deaths of his parents.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;2478050;
    Having just watched the new movie, the sphere with the prophecy says one must die for one to live, so either Vold. dies so Harry can live, or vice versa and I can't imagine she'd leave the series with V. alive. That's my take anyway. For Harry to die and V. to reign would be repeating the history of his parents. It would be much more uplifting for him to vindicate the deaths of his parents.
    That's what I got out of it, but Harry asked Dumbledore if it meant that Harry had to kill Lord V or Lord V had to kill Harry and he said "Yes". So not only must Tom Riddle die, but Harry must do it himself.

+ Reply to Thread