+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Book #7

Re: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Book #7

Just the opposite for me. I love the books. I have never seen the movies and never will. While I have trouble with some of JK's writing, at times the characters seem whiny, I find the writing rich and captivating.

I hate that so many good books have been made into films. Why read when you can watch? No wonder kids don't read much anymore... they don't have to. Sooner or later the book that they would have read becomes a movie.
    Tahoe bound....

I read more than watch TV or movies, but I know what you mean. I'm a slow reader, but even that doesn't discourage me. The Harry Potter Movies weed out all the blather she fills the books with and brings the best parts to life.

I am in the middle of both of you. I love, love, love the books, but I always see the movies. The movies are always a sore disappointment in comparison to the books, they leave far too much out for my liking and change certain elements from the book, which I hate. The movies tide me over in between the books.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

OK, I'm insanely excited to read this book...but I know I'll be sad when it's over. Not because I'm expecting a sad ending, but because the story will finally be over and I'll have no more to look forward to.

This is off topic....I should dig up the thread for Book 6 but I'm too lazy...I'm halfway through re-reading Half Blood Prince and I just realized something. Harry figures out his dad could not be the half blood prince because the book was published (and presumably used) 50 years ago and his dad wasn't in school then. We then find out that the half blood prince was Snape...but didn't Snape go to school with Harry's dad? How did that work? Is that addressed in the book when he finds out? (I can't remember and I'm only halfway through....)
    Don't let the small things sweat

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Spoose;2460295;
    OK, I'm insanely excited to read this book...but I know I'll be sad when it's over. Not because I'm expecting a sad ending, but because the story will finally be over and I'll have no more to look forward to.

This is off topic....I should dig up the thread for Book 6 but I'm too lazy...I'm halfway through re-reading Half Blood Prince and I just realized something. Harry figures out his dad could not be the half blood prince because the book was published (and presumably used) 50 years ago and his dad wasn't in school then. We then find out that the half blood prince was Snape...but didn't Snape go to school with Harry's dad? How did that work? Is that addressed in the book when he finds out? (I can't remember and I'm only halfway through....)
    If I remember correctly, Snape's mother used it before him.

That said, I just hope that Harry, Ron, Hermione, or Ginny DON'T ide. Anyone else can die but them!

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by Julian Pyke;2460301;
    If I remember correctly, Snape's mother used it before him.

That said, I just hope that Harry, Ron, Hermione, or Ginny DON'T ide. Anyone else can die but them!
    You're right - Snape was using his mother's old book.

I'm okay with Ginny dying but I hope none of the trio die (fervently hope).
    I have a feeling Hagrid is going die. And that Snape will die heroically. (Just a feeling - not spoilers or anything).

I like Rowling's writing style, personally, but not everyone likes the same things; I know that there are a lot of books that I have never been able to get into and yet the writers of those books have their fans. And I prefer the books to the movies (as do most, probably) but I do generally like the movies. The problem with the movies is, of course, they have to cut stuff for time purposes. The only way they could get around it is if each movie was hours and hours long - they'd have to make them into miniseries!
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by JLuvs;2460257;
    I am in the middle of both of you. I love, love, love the books, but I always see the movies. The movies are always a sore disappointment in comparison to the books, they leave far too much out for my liking and change certain elements from the book, which I hate. The movies tide me over in between the books.

I completely agree! Especially Prisoner of Azkaban. My favorite book turned into the worst movie.

Part of me is dreading the next two weeks, because I want them to fly so I can read the book, but I know once I do the series is over and I don't want to be disappointed with the ending.

I pray that Snape is redeemed and seen to be a loyal Order member and Dumbledore friend. If he has to die to do so, I can live with that although I would love to see him survive the book.

I am not looking forward to any of the children possibly dieing, so I hope that Jo doesn't have to go that direction to tell the story.

My most fervant hope though, is that we do get a slight epilogue that tells us what happens after the final battle. I am not expecting an epic like LoTR, but a chapter would be nice

Quote Originally Posted by JLuvs;2460257;

I am with you, except that I like the movies for what they are. I think they are done very well for that medium. They could never include everything. I would never, ever see the movie before reading the book though.

I am a slight literary snob but I will tell any adult who asks that I think the Harry Potter books are one of the best things written in the history of books. I am going to be so sad when it ends, and then I just have the last two movies to tide my withdrawal over.

There is a new petition to ask Jk Rowling to reconsider ending the series.

Save Harry!

I guess recently she has hinted that there may come a time where she might write about the wizarding world again, even if it doesn't follow Harry Potter.

Ack.. two weeks? it's all coming to an end in 2 weeks?! I'm not ready
    Tahoe bound....

CCL

I read somewhere that she said she might write, in a couple of years or so, a book about the general wizarding world that Harry et al inhabit. A compendium of sorts. For charity.
    I feel that the seventh book will be the logical conclusion to Harry's tale. It will end where it should end. Perhaps it will have an epilogue that says what the characters did in the future - that would be good. I don't think she will write another Harry Potter novel. But never say never, I guess.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

+ Reply to Thread