+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: If I Did It, Here's How It Happened by O.J. Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by speedbump;2143948;
    He's the type of guy who can't stand not being in the spotlight.
    You are exactly right. It has been said of him that he has been unhappy since losing the spotlight that shone on him during his football days.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

What's there to say. I won't buy the book. I won't see the interview. I won't see the movie (yeh, it's coming some day).

I can't believe this guy is still walking around.

It's creepy that anyone is paying him any attention and giving him media coverage or support of any kind.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.

O.J. Simpson's lawyer upset about book deal

LOS ANGELES, Nov 19 (Reuters) - Add O.J. Simpson's lawyer to the long list of people upset the former football star has written an account about how he would have killed his ex-wife and her friend, even if a jury decided he did not.

The latest issue of Newsweek quotes Yale Galanter as saying he's "pissed" about Simpson's deal for the upcoming book "If I Did It," adding, "I definitely would not have approved this ... I wouldn't have done it for a gazillion dollars."

Simpson's book deal was such a closely guarded secret that Galanter had no idea about it before the news broke last week, he told the magazine. He said Simpson's four grown children -- two from a previous marriage, and two he had with Nicole Brown Simpson -- approved of the deal...

Galanter told Newsweek that only one of the seven chapters deals with the murder, and nowhere does Simpson admit to killing anyone...

While no financial details of Simpson's publishing arrangement were disclosed, unconfirmed media reports put the value of the deal at about $3.5 million.
    Full Story

Several affiliates nixing Simpson show

By DAVID BAUDER, AP Television WriterSun Nov 19, 10:19 PM ET

Several Fox affiliates have chosen not to broadcast "If I Did It," the two-part special where O.J. Simpson talks in hypothetical terms about his role in the 1994 killing of his ex-wife, Nicole Brown Simpson, and her friend Ronald Goldman.

Lin Broadcasting and Pappas Broadcasting, which own a combined nine Fox affiliates, have said they won't air it. Fox has scheduled the Simpson interview for Nov. 27 and 29.

The television special precedes the Nov. 30 publication of a book where Simpson talks about how he would have committed the murders "if he were the one responsible."

"After careful consideration regarding the nature of the show, as well as the feedback we received from the viewers of northeast Wisconsin, we determined that this programming was not serving the local public interest," wrote Jay Zollar, general manager of WLUK-TV in Green Bay.

WLUK is a Lin-owned station, along with other Fox affiliates in Mobile, Ala.; Toledo, Ohio; Albuquerque, N.M.; and Providence, R.I.

The Pappas stations said they were uninterested in helping Simpson profit from the project. Pappas owns Fox stations in Omaha and Lincoln, Neb.; Fresno, Calif.; and Dakota Dunes, S.D.

There are about 200 Fox affiliates across the country.

Scott Grogin, Fox spokesman, said Sunday the network had no comment about the decision by its affiliates.

Simpson was acquitted in 1995 of murder in a case that became its own television drama. The former football star and announcer was later found liable for the deaths in a wrongful death lawsuit filed by the Goldman family.

Judith Regan, publisher of "If I Did It," said she considered the book to be Simpson's confession.

The television special will air on two of the final three nights of the November sweeps, when ratings are watched closely to set local advertising rates. It has been a particularly tough fall for Fox, which has seen none of its new shows catch on and is waiting for the January bows of "American Idol" and "24."

The show is expected to draw high ratings among the curious, but there's some question about how much Fox can take advantage of it given an expected reluctance of advertisers to be associated with it.

The Fox stations in most of the nation's biggest cities, including New York, Los Angeles and Chicago, are owned by Fox, so they would abide by the network's decision on what to air.
    Yahoo News

I'm not even remotely curious about what he has to say.

O.J. Simpson tv show and book deal cancelled.

After a firestorm of criticism, News. Corp. said Monday that it has canceled the O.J. Simpson book and television special "If I Did It."

"I and senior management agree with the American public that this was an ill-considered project," said Rupert Murdoch, News Corp. chairman. "We are sorry for any pain that his has caused the families of Ron Goldman and Nicole Brown Simpson."

A dozen Fox affiliates had already said they would not air the two-part sweeps month special, planned for next week before the Nov. 30 publication of the book by ReganBooks. The publishing house is a HarperCollins imprint owned — like the Fox network — by News Corp.

In the projects, Simpson speaks in hypothetical terms about how he would have committed the 1994 slayings of his ex-wife Nicole and her friend Goldman.

Relatives of the victims have lashed out at the now scuttled publication and broadcast plans.

"He destroyed my son and took from my family Ron's future and life. And for that I'll hate him always and find him despicable," Fred Goldman told ABC last week.

The industry trade publication Broadcasting & Cable editorialized against the show Monday, saying "Fox should cancel this evil sweeps stunt."

One of the nation's largest superstore chains, Borders Group Inc., said last week it would donate any profits on the book to charity.

Simpson was acquitted in 1995 of murder in a case that became its own television drama. The former football star and announcer was later found liable for the deaths in a wrongful death lawsuit filed by the Goldman family.

Judith Regan, publisher of "If I Did It," said she considered the book to be Simpson's confession.

The television special was to air on two of the final three nights of the November sweeps, when ratings are watched closely to set local advertising rates. It has been a particularly tough fall for Fox, which has seen none of its new shows catch on and is waiting for the January bows of "American Idol" and "24."

Link

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    That's great news, fluff!

Regarding Judith Regan, the publisher...I think she's a complete slimeball (not just for this) and I think her excuses sound exactly like that...excuses. I don't buy her reasoning at all. Book publishers don't operate that way. Even if it was contracted by a third party, her lawyers would've had access to who the money was going to. I honestly don't think she cared. She thought she could get a lot of publicity for this book. I really hope NO ONE buys it and it tanks for Regan Books. Ha!

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;2149444;
    I really hope NO ONE buys it and it tanks for Regan Books. Ha!
    No one will buy the book since the publisher canceled it.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.
    Why does this feel like a victory for mankind?

Borders was going to donate all proceeds to charity
    Was that supposed to make it ok to sell the book? :nono
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

I'm sure some slimeball publisher will pick it up.

but hopefully, it will get the miserable reception it deserves.
    I don't think any place respectible, with any kind of publicity resouces will go for it.

There are just some things that will destroy a business more than making a few bucks from it.

Looking for a way out Bubba-Jo-Lyn's Avatar
    I don't think any other publisher can sell the book. An article I was reading said that HarperCollins who owns Regan Books has the rights to the project and they are destroying any copies of it that exist. The article also stated that because OJ fulfilled his obligation in dictating the book he gets to keep the $3.5 million that they paid him. That disgusts me.
    Remember: Mentioning Jesus in your speech: small government. Doing what Jesus asked: big government - Stephen Colbert

Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out. But I can usually shut the b*tch up with cookies. (Unknown)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast