+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: When Geek the Girl Met Stephen King

When Geek the Girl Met Stephen King

As those of you frequenting the "What are you reading?" thread will know, I had an unusually eventful weekend. On Friday, after changing trains four times and a bit worse for the wear after an evening flight the day before, I went to a book signing by Stephen King at a Tesco store in Thurrock, Essex. I'll post the full story later, but for now, here are a few pics. Enjoy!

This is me just seconds after I'd had my copy of the 1994 Swedish paperback edition of Four Past Midnight (I figured most people would go for Lisey's Story, so I wanted to score some originality points. Also, it might be fun for him to see what his books look like in foreign editions) signed. Hence the silly grin. See the unidentifiable object he's holding in his right hand and looking at? That's the CD I made him. I'll tell you all about that later.

Notice the CD next to him on the table.

That's all the pictures I was able to take (or have taken, in the first case - thanks, fellow Constant Reader standing right before me in line!), unfortunately, as I was promptly whisked away by kind but firm Tesco employees. I'm just glad I got to meet one of my all-time favourite authors, have a chance to speak to him (even though the conversation was over in less than ten seconds) and have the event immortalized. Check in for a detailed story later!
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

That's great, Geek! I'm so jealous. Hurry back and tell us the rest of it.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Geek, we definitely want to hear the whole story.

I love that you brought one of his older books for him to sign. Believe it or not, I was thinking what book I would have brought, and I decided that I would take my (very well-worn) copy of Different Seasons.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Very cool, Geek! Can't wait to hear the rest of the story!
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

Count me among the jealous, geek. I would have brought Bag of Bones. I thought that book was in a different class than most of his books.

Also, I like his shoes.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Meeting Stephen King must been a great encounter Geek the Girl.

Oh my gosh, he looks just the same in pictures as...he always has! I'm so jealous, Geek, that you got to meet him in person. I have to hear all about it. Please come back soon with the details!
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

I am so jealous, Geek. I can't wait to read the story. (I would have been incredibly unoriginal and brought The Stand)
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

geek, that is so cool! I can't wait to hear the rest of the story about your meeting with Stephen!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by dagwood;2143683;
    I am so jealous, Geek. I can't wait to read the story. (I would have been incredibly unoriginal and brought The Stand)
    That's what I would have brought, too. I love all SK's books but The Stand is my absolute favorite.
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast