+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: When Geek the Girl Met Stephen King

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    Well count me in as another that would have brought "The Stand"...2nd and 3rd choices would have been "The Green Mile" or "Christine".......can't wait to hear the story Geek!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Okay, that's awesome! And he's chewing a toothpick! Thanks for sharing, that is really cool.

I like how in that first picture he's looking at the CD and you're giggling with glee at the camera. I'm just plain jealous.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Just thought I'd pop in and share some of my fieldtrip notes (yep, I took notes on location. 'Cause I'm that geeky )

November 10th, 10.30 am

I'm running - in three-inch heels, I might add - around a small lake in Thurrock, Essex, frantically looking for a Tesco store and trying to come up with a profanity potent enough to match my current mood. Since this is a PG-13 site, I won't tell you whether or not I came up with one. "Smuck" will do just fine. Why am I so frustrated, you ask? I've spent the last half an hour being lost in a shopping mall so big and scary that it makes the mall in Dawn of the Dead seem small and cosy. The information on Stephen King's official website says the signing will take place - and I quote - at "Tesco Superstore, Lakeside Shopping Centre, Thurrock, Essex" and I've spent roughly two and a half hours in effective travel time - and about one hour drinking coffee and freezing my butt off on various train stations - getting here. Trouble is, there is no Tesco's at Lakeside Shopping Centre. There is, however, one situated about twenty minutes walk (that's ten minutes running in heels, FYI) from the mall, or so the kindly middle-aged woman at the information desk tells me. She also tells me that I'm about the tenth person showing up this morning, looking lost and asking for the Tesco store. Is there anything going on there today? Well, you might say that. When I tell her that Stephen King will be signing his latest novel there, she looks puzzled, as, I will find, do most people who will walk up to me and ask me what's going on at Tesco's through the course of the day. This particular woman doesn't ask what the smuck Stephen King, master of horror and the self-proclaimed literary equivalent of a Big Mac with large fries, is doing at a Tesco store way out in Essex, but I can see that's exactly what she's thinking.

To be honest, it is a rather bizarre place for King to be appearing. Once I've arrived safely (panting slightly, hair out of place, killer heels a wee bit muddy but otherwise fine; shaken, not stirred) and secured my place in the queue (that's "line" for those of you who don't speak British ), the first thing the person standing next to me is "I can't believe Stephen King will be here, it's so surreal". Well, believe it. The store is in full Christmas mode even though it's only November, and right next to the miniature Christmas trees and decorations are several massive posters promoting the event. I still have no idea why Stephen, or his agent for that matter, decided to recycle the 1994 author photography from the book jacket of Insomnia. When I share my thoughts in the recycled author pic with the man standing behind me (fiftyish, bespacled, very proper and English), he looks at me as though I'm slightly insane. I promptly say "I'm a total geek, I know" and then tell him I've flown in from Sweden to be here. Cue return of the slightly bemused look on his face. I take it there are no other fanatics in the house, then? If there are, they're probably up front. The queue is long, but not outrageously so. This is going to happen.

The next two hours go by relatively quickly, thanks to all the lovely people queuing up around me. We start discussing favourite novels (rather alarmingly, not one single person in my proximity has read or even heard of Bag of Bones ), favourite movie adaptations, favourite King moments. Before I know it, there is a bit of a ruckus up front, the sudden sound of excited people mumbling and whispering. No applause, though, and certainly no screaming. Still, the King has arrived. I take a deep breath and make sure I have everything ready. Mixed CD with alt country faves? (As those of you who have read Lisey's Story will know, the novel starts off with a Ryan Adams quote, so I thought I'd introduce him to some of the lesser-known stars of the genre, including, of course, my very own Mr Geek's band.) Check. Tattered and torn copy of Four Past Midnight? Check.

(Incidentally, I spent the flight over from Stockholm reading "The Langoliers". Anyone else stupid or brave enough to have done that? Luckily for me, life didn't imitate art. Still, it was one of my scariest King moments to date.)

The queue is moving fast. Stephen sure knows how to sign books. If I get the chance, I think I'll ask him how his hand is. I imagine it's killing him after having spent the whole week signing books, but he'd never admit to such a thing, of course. What else do I want to tell him? Before I've reached any kind of intelligent decision, it's my turn.

It's over in less than twenty seconds. This is how it went down:

STEPHEN: Signing my copy of Four Past Midnight, then handing it over to me and getting ready to start signing the next person's book.
    ME: Handing over the CD, going "This is for you".
    STEPHEN: Looks up, rather startled but happy-looking. "Oh, thanks".

Just as I'm getting ready to say something - I'm not sure what, but I reckon it'll be at least vaguely coherent, because there's something about his presence that's so down to earth and relaxed that it has a contagious effect on me as well - I'm gently but firmly whisked away by Tesco employees. And there, my dear FORT friends, you have it. As I'm getting ready to walk back to the mall and spend ridiculous amounts of makeup, someone asks me if it was worth it. Meaning, was it worth all the hours spent on planes, trains, packed tube stations? I think so. I'm not sure yet, but I think so. And that's enough.
    Last edited by geek the girl; 11-17-2006 at 03:47 AM.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Ack! How exciting for sure. I was feeling a bundle of nerves just reading that
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    geek...even if your encounter with Stephen King only lasted 10 seconds that's more than I've ever had and I'm extremely jealous!!!

Don't know what you do for a living but you are a excellent writer...very witty and charming! Great job!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Quote Originally Posted by bbnbama;2145480;

Don't know what you do for a living but you are a excellent writer...very witty and charming! Great job!
    Aw, thanks, bbnbama! I work for the National Property Board, registering and archiving public documents into databases. Not the most creative of jobs, but I enjoy it. Someday, I intend to make a living by writing full-time, though. Look out for my name in the "New in fiction" corner of your local bookstore in a couple of years.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

CCL
    You definitely know how to tell a story, geekthegirl!
    Glad you found the store & got to meet the King.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Geek, that sounds like how it would happen to me. Late and lost is the story of my life. I, too, wondered why on earth he was doing a signing in a grocery store. But I'm glad you got to meet him, however briefly! Great story.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Thanks for sharing. It must have been so surreal to have King sitting there signing your book!

Premium Member
    Wow, GtG, a real Reader Meet Author moment.

I cannot believe the luck of some people...
    And not only did Stephen King actually get to meet Geek the Girl, he received a bonus mix tape CD in the process? So unfair.

I won't embarrass myself and say which book I would've taken with me...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast