+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Any Stephen R. Donaldson fans?

FORT Newbie

Any Stephen R. Donaldson fans?

I remember reading the Thomas Covenant series when I was in school. I remember reading this after I read the Lord of the rings trilogy. I thought it was a great fantasy series and was pleased to see the series was renewed last year with the final chronicles. Can not wait until the 2nd. book comes out.

One of my all time favorite series (only 2 books) was Mordant's Need. I bought the first book (The Mirror of Her Dreams) when it was fairly recent, without realizing it was Part 1. Read that sucker half the night, came to the to be continued, and threw the book on the floor I was so frustrated. When A Man Rides Through came out, I grabbed it. I remember it was around Christmas and we were going to visit family. I read the book all the way there (when not driving , all during the visit, and finished it before going home.

I've read some of his other books and, while enjoyable, none have captured my attention and imagination as much as those two did.

Quote Originally Posted by justice27 View Post
    I remember reading the Thomas Covenant series when I was in school. I remember reading this after I read the Lord of the rings trilogy. I thought it was a great fantasy series and was pleased to see the series was renewed last year with the final chronicles. Can not wait until the 2nd. book comes out.
    I ate these books up when I was a kid, but I must have less patience these days, because any and all attempts to re-read them are pretty painful. There's just an endless string of angst in them and it makes for some pretty heavy reading.

These days if I need a boost of the fantastic, I'm much more likely to go in the direction of a nice space opera or something. Heavy fantasy must appeal more to us when we're young and idealistic, I think. I actually DID get through a re-reading of Lord of the Rings about 4 years ago, though, which at the time I thought was quite an accomplishment!

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

+ Reply to Thread