+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Questionnaire about reading habits

Questionnaire about reading habits

I have way too much time on my hands right now, having just turned in the final paper of the semester, so I thought I'd create a little questionnaire about books and reading habits. It would be great if all my fellow bibliophiles would take the time to answer. I already know quite a lot about your reading habits, but do I know what you like to munch on while turning pages? Do I know where you prefer to read? Whether you're a sweatpants and t-shirt kind of reader or prefer to look stylish? No, but I'd like to.

Without further ado, I give you THE ultimate questionnaire about one of our favourite pastimes when the monitors are off.

1. How old were you when you learned how to read?
    2. Were you a big reader growing up?
    3. Are there any books that left a big impression on you as a kid?
    4. Favourite genres? (Do you read mainly fiction or non-fiction? Do you have a soft spot for horror, sci-fi, or romance?)
    5. Top 5 favourite authors.
    6. Top 5 favourite books.
    7. Where do you prefer to read?
    8. Do you like to eat or drink something while you read? If so, what are your foods and beverages of choice?
    9. What do you typically wear when you read? (I swear, I don't mean this in a dirty way. My mind is a pure as the first snow of the year - before it gets contaminated by dog poo and engine exhaust, that is. ) Casual wear? Pyjamas? Jeans? Something more elaborate and stylish?
    10. On average, how many books do you read a month?
    11. How do you get hold of the books? Do you buy them at a bookstore, visit an online store, borrow from a friend or family member, or do you use the library?
    12. Paperback or hardcover?
    13. At what point do you give up on a book?
    14. How do you find about new books and authors? (Aside from the FORT, that is.)
    15. Best reading-related memory?
    16. Worst reading-related memory?
    17. What was the last book(s) you bought?
    18. What was the last book you checked out from the library?
    19. On average, how many hours a week do you spend reading?
    20. Are you a fast or slow reader?
    21. Do you sometimes read more than one book at the time?
    22. Are you what Stephen King refers to as a Constant Reader, or are there periods where you don't read at all?
    23. What's the longest you've gone without reading?
    24. Why do you read? (This is a tough one, I know)
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Without further ado, I give you THE ultimate questionnaire about one of our favourite pastimes when the monitors are off.

1. How old were you when you learned how to read? 6
    2. Were you a big reader growing up? not until I turned 8
    3. Are there any books that left a big impression on you as a kid? I read every single thing I could get my hands on.
    4. Favourite genres? (Do you read mainly fiction or non-fiction? Do you have a soft spot for horror, sci-fi, or romance?) Horror, mystery, true crime
    5. Top 5 favourite authors. S. King, Dean koontz, Jonathan Kellerman, Taylor Caldwell, Ed Mcbain
    6. Top 5 favourite books. A Prologue to Love-Caldwell, Gunslinger series-King, Any cookbook,
    7. Where do you prefer to read? Nice big comfy chair
    8. Do you like to eat or drink something while you read? If so, what are your foods and beverages of choice? water & chocolate
    9. What do you typically wear when you read? (I swear, I don't mean this in a dirty way. My mind is a pure as the first snow of the year - before it gets contaminated by dog poo and engine exhaust, that is. ) Casual wear? Pyjamas? Jeans? Something more elaborate and stylish? I usually don't wear underwear but when I do, it is something more exotic. (Bill Murry-Stripes) Couldn't resist. Just something like shorts or nightgown
    10. On average, how many books do you read a month? 2. But I used to read about 4 per week.
    11. How do you get hold of the books? Do you buy them at a bookstore, visit an online store, borrow from a friend or family member, or do you use the library? Library or amazon
    12. Paperback or hardcover? doesn't matter
    13. At what point do you give up on a book? very rarely. Usually first 2 chapters
    14. How do you find about new books and authors? (Aside from the FORT, that is.) book club or also by reading reviews.
    15. Best reading-related memory? Reading is a escape for me. It started by blocking out an alcholic dad.
    16. Worst reading-related memory? None
    17. What was the last book(s) you bought? The Davinci Code
    18. What was the last book you checked out from the library? A book on gardening
    19. On average, how many hours a week do you spend reading? 3
    20. Are you a fast or slow reader? very fast
    21. Do you sometimes read more than one book at the time? rarely
    22. Are you what Stephen King refers to as a Constant Reader, or are there periods where you don't read at all? constant although it has slowed down in the past few years.
    23. What's the longest you've gone without reading? a week?
    24. Why do you read? (This is a tough one, I know) To escape to my head.

Like I mentioned above, I was a rabid reader all my life. In second grade I had to go to "remedial reading" what they called it back then, because I was so bad. But something clicked for me and it became my lifeline. However, the past 3 years or so, I don't really read much. Maybe because I don't the escape so much? Who knows. Also the internet takes up a lot of time.

Here are my own answers:

Five years old. According to my mother, the first time she became aware of my ability to read was when I started reading aloud from a carton of milk.

I'm not sure "big" covers it. Voracious is more like it. I always had my nose in a book when I was a kid. It even got to a point where my parents would consider giving me a reading curfew.

Loads! Some of the books I would read over and over again as a kid: The Anne of Green Gables series, The Chronicles of Narnia, Matilda and The Witches by Roald Dahl, anything Nancy Drew (for some bizarre reason, she is called Kitty in the Swedish translations), books by Judy Blume (yep, she's big in Europe too!), and - of course! - Astrid Lindgren. As a tween/young adult I got really into Agatha Christie and Stephen King. I still read their books with great pleasure as an adult.

4. Favourite genres? (Do you read mainly fiction or non-fiction? Do you have a soft spot for horror, sci-fi, or romance?)

I mainly read fiction, but every once in a while, I'll try to throw some non-fiction into the bunch. Right now, I'm reading Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavres by Mary Roach. I wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone with a sweet tooth for the morbid. It's a surprisingly gentle, though often morbidly funny, and entertaining exposé of the corpse from a cultural, historical, and scientific perspective.

Fave genres, apart from general fiction: horror, crime and the occasional fantasy/sci-fi novel. I also enjoy reading poetry and plays, although I don't get to read as much as I'd like to.

Top 5? I'm gonna have to go with a top 10: Margaret Atwood, Joyce Carol Oates, Stephen King, Alice Hoffman, Haruki Murakami, Bret Easton Ellis, Paul Auster, Jane Austen, Fyodor Dostoyevsky. Oh, and Kate Atkinson, Jeanette Winterson, Curtis Sittenfeld, Jennifer Weiner, Siri Hustvedt, Charles Dickens, E.M. Forster, Douglas Kennedy, and Carol Goodman. Ad infinitum... (I'm hopeless.)

The Secret History by Donna Tartt, Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen, Blonde by Joyce Carol Oates, Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert, and The Tin Drum by Günter Grass.

I love reading in the bathtub - the book/bubble bath combo beats any trip to the spa. Mostly, though, I read in bed or on the couch. I also find that airplanes and beaches are great places to read.

8. Do you like to eat or drink something while you read? If so, what are your foods and beverages of choice?

I try to keep it as simple as possible and avoid things that leave stains or excess grease on the pages. Having said that, I love eating potato chips when I read. Strawberries and (seedless) grapes are also great to eat while reading. If it's a weekday, I tend to stick with non-alcoholic beverages such as coffee or water, but every once in a while, I'll treat myself to a glass or two of Chardonnay.

9. What do you typically wear when you read? (I swear, I don't mean this in a dirty way. My mind is a pure as the first snow of the year - before it gets contaminated by dog poo and engine exhaust, that is. ) Casual wear? Pyjamas? Jeans? Something more elaborate and stylish?

I won't even comment on what I'm wearing when I read in the bathtub since this is a PG-13 site. When I read on dry land, though, I like to be comfy. I have an old ratty but rather fetching velvety purple robe that I like to wear around the house. Perfect reading outfit. Pyjama bottoms and my oversized Morrissey t-shirt is another fabulous reading outfit. While I like to get all dolled up when I leave the house, I tend to opt for comfortable over stylish when I read.

Anything between 4 and 10 books, depending on my workload.

11. How do you get hold of the books? Do you buy them at a bookstore, visit an online store, borrow from a friend or family member, or do you use the library?

I can't help it, I love to own my books, so I generally buy them, either at a regular bookstore (I love to stroll around and browse for hours - it's like meditation to me) or an online one. Lately, though, I've taken advantage of our fabulous city library. The concept of being able to read anything you like for free is so wonderful.

Paperback. I can't read hardcover books in the bath, and even while reading in bed, holding a hardcover quickly becomes uncomfortable.

I try to pick books I know from the get-go that I'll like, but sometimes I end up with a snooze fest of a novel anyway. I used to finish everything I read, but lately I'm all about the "So many books, so little time" concept. Ergo: If I don't like a book once I've hit the 100 page mark, it's a goner. Next, please.

14. How do you find about new books and authors? (Aside from the FORT, that is.)

Mainly here at the FORT from my well-read online friends, but I also use the recommendations wizard on Amazon, ask friends and stumble upon new books in stores. I love discovering a new favourite author.

Spending two weeks on Tobago for my parents' 25th wedding anniversary. It was such an amazing experience, but what I remember most fondly is lying on the beach, a delicious rum cocktail in hand, reading. I read loads of great books on that vacation. Oh, and reading Rebecca by Daphne duMaurier in Prague. It was the first trip my boyfriend and I took together, and it remains my most romantic vacation yet. Rebecca remains one of my favourite novels, partly on its literary qualities and partly on how much I loved being in Prague with my sweetie.

Reading a book - funny, I can't remember which one - as my father walked in the living room and told me that my grandfather had passed away.

I got most of my pre-summer reading shopping done today, so I bought quite a bit: Invisible Monsters and Haunted by Chuck Palahniuk, The Art of Detection by Laurie R. King, American Gods by Neil Gaiman, The Last Time They Met by Anita Shreve, Specimen Days by Michael Cunningham (can't wait to read this one!), and Puppet by Joy Fielding.

The Eight by Katherine Neville, Black House by Stephen King and Peter Straub, Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavres by Mary Roach, Veronica by Mary Gaitskill, and No Country For Old Men by Cormac McCarthy. I'm sure they're all good enough to buy, but I decided to be thrifty for a change.

Too many! Anything between 10 and 40 hours, depending on how much free time I have on my hands.

I'm a fast reader, a skill I think I've picked up after having read consistently from a young age.

I used to all the time, but in recent years I've mainly stuck to one book at the time. There are a few exceptions, though - if I'm reading a hardcover, I'll sometimes have a paperback on the side to bring on the train or - you've guessed it! - to the bathtub. Also, if I'm reading a non-fictional book or a work of poetry, I'll usually read a novel on the side.

22. Are you what Stephen King refers to as a Constant Reader, or are there periods where you don't read at all?

I'm as constant as they come.

Ooh... two days? s

Because life would be a much less interesting place if I didn't read.
    Last edited by geek the girl; 05-19-2006 at 11:39 AM.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

1. How old were you when you learned how to read? I believe I was about 3 - it was before I started school at any rate.
    2. Were you a big reader growing up? Absolutely. My favourite past time was dragging a sofa cushion up the plum tree and sitting there reading for hours.
    3. Are there any books that left a big impression on you as a kid? 1984 made the biggest impression and coloured the rest of my life somewhat (vague paranoia ).
    4. Favourite genres? (Do you read mainly fiction or non-fiction? Do you have a soft spot for horror, sci-fi, or romance?)I used to be huge on horror but read so much garbage that I've been temporarily turned off. I currently lean towards mysteries and non-fiction.
    5. Top 5 favourite authors. Sinclair Lewis, Truman Capote, early Stephen King, Ruth Rendell and Agatha Christie (though this list could change at any asking).
    6. Top 5 favourite books. Dodsworth, 1984, Music for Chameleons, The Stand and Gone With the Wind
    7. Where do you prefer to read? Anywhere, anytime.
    8. Do you like to eat or drink something while you read? If so, what are your foods and beverages of choice? While I'm happy to eat at any time, I don't specifically prefer to eat while reading. If I did, it would probably be something crunchy and salty.
    9. What do you typically wear when you read? (I swear, I don't mean this in a dirty way. My mind is a pure as the first snow of the year - before it gets contaminated by dog poo and engine exhaust, that is. ) Casual wear? Pyjamas? Jeans? Something more elaborate and stylish?Comfortable, always comfortable. If it looks good that's just gravy.
    10. On average, how many books do you read a month? 6-15
    11. How do you get hold of the books? Do you buy them at a bookstore, visit an online store, borrow from a friend or family member, or do you use the library? Mainly library.
    12. Paperback or hardcover?I used to buy hardcover, but I built bookshelves that fit paperbacks because I could get more books in a given space, so now it's paperbacks. Plus they weigh less in my purse (my aging back, you know).
    13. At what point do you give up on a book? When I find that my mind is wandering consistently through a story.
    14. How do you find about new books and authors? (Aside from the FORT, that is.) Mainly reviews in the paper.
    15. Best reading-related memory? Nothing specific.
    16. Worst reading-related memory? Nothing specific.
    17. What was the last book(s) you bought? The Cell and a couple of books on the Arts & Crafts movement.
    18. What was the last book you checked out from the library? I can't honestly recall - I just grab handfuls and go.
    19. On average, how many hours a week do you spend reading? 14
    20. Are you a fast or slow reader?Fast.
    21. Do you sometimes read more than one book at the time?Sometimes if I'm getting close to the end of a book I will take another when I leave the house because I don't want to finish the first book while I'm out and leave myself with nothing to read.
    22. Are you what Stephen King refers to as a Constant Reader, or are there periods where you don't read at all?Constant.
    23. What's the longest you've gone without reading?However long it is between the time I get up and the time I go to bed. I CAN'T start the day without reading, nor can I finish it.
    24. Why do you read? (This is a tough one, I know) I don't know how anyone could not read for pleasure.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

MRD
    1. How old were you when you learned how to read? around 5
    2. Were you a big reader growing up? yes, have always read a lot because my mom and grandmother read constantly and even read to me a lot even after I learned how to read.
    3. Are there any books that left a big impression on you as a kid? Peter Pan the original. The Borrower's
    4. Favourite genres? (Do you read mainly fiction or non-fiction? Do you have a soft spot for horror, sci-fi, or romance?) Mainly mysteries or thrillers, best sellers. Anything but romance, sci-fi or westerns. Not to say I haven't read any in those genres, but generally I do not read those. I read EVERY thing else and I also like biographies
    Jan Karon
    Rosamund Pilcher
    Robert Parker
    James Patterson
    WEB Griffin

This is too hard:
    Winward Passage (can't remember the book, read it 25 years ago and I re-read it about ever couple of years)
    The entire Mitford Series by Jan Karon
    The entire All Creatures Great and SMall series by James Herriott
    The Da VInci Code
    The Entire brotherhood of war series by WEB Griffin.
    September by Rosamund Pilcher
    The Harry Potter books

7. Where do you prefer to read? in bed!!!!
    8. Do you like to eat or drink something while you read? If so, what are your foods and beverages of choice? not really, I get so into the book, I forget I have food or drink around

Since I mainly read in bed and when I get on a marathon reading session, I prefer comfy PJ's
    10. On average, how many books do you read a month? 10-12

Mostly the library or half.com

12. Paperback or hardcover? Either. Some hardcovers are so big that its hard to hold them up. I thought I'd have huge muscles after reading the Clinton autobiography. That was one huge book in hardback. It's in 2 volumes in paperback now.

13. At what point do you give up on a book? If it has not caught my attention in the first chapter, I give up. I used to read them all to the end, but realized life is too short to read a bad book

14. How do you find about new books and authors? (Aside from the FORT, that is.) I peruse Amazon.com constantly. I read the book section in the sunday paper and I get books from friends too.

15. Best reading-related memory? Finding out that the man I would eventually marry loved to read too and that we both enjoyed a lot of the same books

16. Worst reading-related memory? when I am somewhere where I have to wait and I have nothing to read. Like in a doctors office who only has golf magazines. I usually take a book of my own, but sometimes I forget and that is the worst.

17. What was the last book(s) you bought? Fade away by Harlan Corbin

Sour Puss by Rita Mae brown (love this series of hers too)
    19. On average, how many hours a week do you spend reading?10-15
    20. Are you a fast or slow reader? fast, but my comprehension sucks because I read so fast.
    21. Do you sometimes read more than one book at the time? yes
    22. Are you what Stephen King refers to as a Constant Reader, or are there periods where you don't read at all? Constant. I will read the cereal box if there is nothing else to read.
    23. What's the longest you've gone without reading? Right after my surgery in March, I was on really strong painkillers in the hospital and couldn't focus on reading, so I'd say it was about a week.
    This is not tough. I read for pleasure, for knowledge, to escape the mundane and live vicariously through books. To broaden my horizens. When I'm bored and because my mom instilled a love for reading and for books in me when I was very young and the worst thing I could ever imagine is to go blind and not be able to read.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I don't usually visit this thread, but I love to read so I will answer your questionaire!

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl View Post

1. How old were you when you learned how to read? I was either 5 or 6 (don't know if it was kindergarten or 1st grade. I remember not being able to read but then I don't remember learning, so it must have too easy to learn.)
    2. Were you a big reader growing up? I've always loved to read. We didn't have a tv until I was in 5th grade so that was a big source of entertainment.
    3. Are there any books that left a big impression on you as a kid? My favorites in 2nd grade were Nancy Drew.
    4. Favourite genres? (Do you read mainly fiction or non-fiction? Do you have a soft spot for horror, sci-fi, or romance?) I always enjoyed mysteries as a kid. I still like them, but I prefer my romances. Actually I like my romances to have some sort of thrill/mystery involved.
    5. Top 5 favourite authors. That's a hard one. Suzanne Brockmann, Dee Henderson, Debbie Macomber, Marie Ferarella
    6. Top 5 favourite books. Gone With the Wind, Suzanne Brockmann's Team Ten series, Dee Henderson's O'Malley's series.
    7. Where do you prefer to read? Either curled up in a chair/on the couch, or propped up in bed.
    8. Do you like to eat or drink something while you read? If so, what are your foods and beverages of choice? I read so much that I sometimes munch, but then others not. It just depends on if I'm hungry or not.
    9. What do you typically wear when you read? (I swear, I don't mean this in a dirty way. My mind is a pure as the first snow of the year - before it gets contaminated by dog poo and engine exhaust, that is. ) Casual wear? Pyjamas? Jeans? Something more elaborate and stylish? I wear what I have on, unless it's too uncomfortable, then I'll change, but mostly just what's on.
    10. On average, how many books do you read a month? I tend to read romances and I read quite a few of those.
    11. How do you get hold of the books? Do you buy them at a bookstore, visit an online store, borrow from a friend or family member, or do you use the library? I get some books mailed to me, some from garage sales, some from the store. (anywhere I can!)
    12. Paperback or hardcover? paperback
    13. At what point do you give up on a book? This rarely (twice that I can think of) happens. I just don't give up unless it's so horrible that I can't go on.
    14. How do you find about new books and authors? (Aside from the FORT, that is.) Looking at the store.
    15. Best reading-related memory? Hard to think of a favorite. I guess my best memories are of getting so lost in a book I don't notice anything around me, even when people are talking to me.
    16. Worst reading-related memory? I used to read Nancy Drew in 2nd grade, Then I moved schools in 3rd grade and the new librarian told me those books were for not for my age, only for 6th graders and she wouldn't let me check them out. I haven't gotten over it still
    17. What was the last book(s) you bought? I bought 5 today from a garage sale. 5 books for $1, seemed like a good deal.
    18. What was the last book you checked out from the library? Can't remember. My daughter started hating the libraby when she was about 2 or 3. She was traumatized by having to return the books. I think before then she didn't realize I was returning them. So we got out of the habit of going to the library.
    19. On average, how many hours a week do you spend reading? I read normally at least 30 mins a day if not more.
    20. Are you a fast or slow reader? fast, although I notice I miss stuff that way, so now I try to read slower.
    21. Do you sometimes read more than one book at the time? Rarely. I read pretty fast though so I get thru the books quick enough to go on to the next one. If I pick up a 2nd one I will usually read it all the way thru and then go back to the first.
    22. Are you what Stephen King refers to as a Constant Reader, or are there periods where you don't read at all? I'm pretty much a constant reader. I will give it up at times, but not for long.
    23. What's the longest you've gone without reading? don't know since it's been so long. Probably a few months.
    24. Why do you read? (This is a tough one, I know) I read because I love to immerse myself in a new story. I read so much that I don't really retain a lot of the stories. I have to read a book 3 or 4 times to really remember it. (same with movies and tv shows though). I think that is one reason I like romances. They are not too deep and I can just get lost in the story for a few hours and then be done.

Ooh! I love surveys!

1. How old were you when you learned how to read? I don't have a strong recollection of when. It probably was in kindergarten.
    2. Were you a big reader growing up? Yes. I've been going through a phase now where I am remembering books that I loved as a child, and buying them (and reading them to) my 4 year old son.
    3. Are there any books that left a big impression on you as a kid? 'The Toothpaste Millionaire', because I saw in plain black and white how anyone, even a kid, could start and run a successful business. Fascinating concept to a 7-8 year old. Also loved 'Are You There God...' and an old series by Maud Hart Lovelace about Betsy and Tacy. It is set at the turn of the century is a lovely glimpse into a much simpler time.
    4. Favourite genres? (Do you read mainly fiction or non-fiction? Do you have a soft spot for horror, sci-fi, or romance?) Mostly fiction (of all genres), unless you count my voracious magazine consumption as non-fiction.
    5. Top 5 favourite authors. Stephen King, John Irving, Amy Tan, Peter Straub, Margaret Atwood
    6. Top 5 favourite books. The Stand, Gone With the Wind, Geek Love, The Cockroaches of Staymore, Battle Royale (based on number of re-reads)
    7. Where do you prefer to read? Wherever there's sufficient light.
    8. Do you like to eat or drink something while you read? If so, what are your foods and beverages of choice? I tend to smoke when I read.
    9. What do you typically wear when you read? Anything, everything, and sometimes nothing (when I read in the bath.)
    10. On average, how many books do you read a month? 8-10
    11. How do you get hold of the books? Do you buy them at a bookstore, visit an online store, borrow from a friend or family member, or do you use the library? I borrow from my sister for the quality stuff, belong to a paperback trading club online, and visit bookstores to fill in the gaps. I also get audio books from Audible.com.
    12. Paperback or hardcover? Either. Plus printouts of ebooks.
    13. At what point do you give up on a book? It's rare, but if it doesn't grab my attention after a handful of chapters, I MIGHT give it up for something more tempting.
    14. How do you find about new books and authors? (Aside from the FORT, that is.) Magazine reviews, friends.
    15. Best reading-related memory? Seeing that my sister had thanked me in her thesis acknowledgments.
    16. Worst reading-related memory? Being carsick from reading while riding.
    17. What was the last book(s) you bought? The entire Beverly Cleary Ramona series from Scholastic Book Club
    18. What was the last book you checked out from the library? Yipes. It was probably a kids book, about 3 years ago.
    19. On average, how many hours a week do you spend reading? 20-30
    20. Are you a fast or slow reader? Fast like lightening!
    21. Do you sometimes read more than one book at the time? I often have a book and an audio book going at the same time. Well not at the same time. You know what I mean.
    22. Are you what Stephen King refers to as a Constant Reader, or are there periods where you don't read at all? I couldn't be any more constant than I already am.
    23. What's the longest you've gone without reading? Negligible.
    24. Why do you read? (This is a tough one, I know) It satisfies my restless mind, provides mini-breaks from reality, and broadens my view. Reading is absolutely my favorite thing in the world.
    Last edited by totoro; 06-08-2006 at 11:21 PM.
    I'll do graffiti if you sing to me in French

I was 5.

A very big reader. I remember reading the Three Little Pigs (it was my favorite book when I was in the 1st grade) over and over. I loved reading Cinderella, Rapunzel, Little Red Riding Hood and later on I really got into Tom Sawyer.

Little House On The Prairie was the first book that really touched my heart. I loved hearing about Laura's family (my 4th grade teacher would read the book aloud during classtime).

I mainly read fiction. I love reading Historical romances, suspense, mysteries and mostly dramas that are about strong female characters. I don't like reading sci-fi or the fantasy genres. I love books that seem real.

1. Bertrice Small
    2. Joy Fielding
    3. Sidney Sheldon
    4. Rosalind Laker
    5. Lucinda Edmonds
    6. John Grisham

1. A Simple Plan - Scott Smith
    2. To Dance With Kings - Rosalind Laker
    3. Missing Pieces - Joy Fielding
    4. Master Of The Game - Sidney Sheldon
    5. Memories Of Midnight - Sidney Sheldon
    6. The Testament - John Grisham
    7. Blaze Wyndym - Bertrice Small

I prefer reading at home sitting on a comfy couch or resting on my bed.

I don't like to eat or drink while I'm reading.

Anything. Workclothes, nightdresses, casual wear etc.

I would say 2 books a month.

I go to the bookstore regularly. I go once a week to see what's new. I also got a lot of my books from Barnes and Noble. I don't burrow books from anyone and I don't go to the library.

Always paperback. Paperback is cheaper and smaller. I hate carrying around those big, heavy hardcover books. I never buy hardcover.

When I was younger if a book didn't interest me by the second or third chapter I stopped reading it but these days I always finish the book even if it's boring.

I find new books and authors mostly by reading reviews on Barnes and Amazon. When people post reviews on those sites a lot of times they recommend other authors/books.

When Augustin said goodbye to Maguerite in To Dance With Kings. I was 16 when I read that book and I remembered crying for a long time. A book has never touched me that way before.

I read a Dean Knootz novel a few years ago . .. he had a monster in it. . . I wasn't expecting that so it suprised me. I never bought another Dean Knootz book after that. I love realistic stories.

The Third Victim - Lisa Gardner.

I can't remember.

It averages to 4 hours a day - 28 hours.

I think I'm a slow reader. I've heard of people who read a book in one day. I can't read that fast.

Yes. I started doing this recently. Right now I'm reading 4 books. Usually I read 2 books at a time.

I used to be this way. Since last year I've become a constant reader. As soon as I finish a book I have to start another one.

Two months.

It's entertaining. It's so much better than watching a movie. I love trying to figure out what's going to happen next and learning about the characters. Reading a good book makes me feel good.

Hi Geek the Girl,

I'm also very new but I thought I would give your questionairre a shot:

1. How old were you when you learned how to read? I'm not sure, but I was about 4 or a bit younger I think. My mom is the oldest in her family and I'm her first child, so being a rather typical Latin American family, I was frequently in the care of my mom's younger siblings so I got to learn to read and write at a rather young age.

2. Were you a big reader growing up? Yes, I've always been a bookworm. Reading is one of my oldest and truest sources of pleasure and comfort.

3. Are there any books that left a big impression on you as a kid? Hmmm, I read a lot of mystery books, all the Agatha Christies I could get my hands on, Sherlock Holmes, Father Brown, the Nancy Drew series, the Hardy Boy series, The Three Investigators (Albert Hitchcock presents.. hehe ), well you get the drift. I also read a lot of Sweet Valley High and similar series (not my proudest literary moment ), but I got to say that the books that I most remember are "Charlotte's Web" by EB White, a book by Beverly Cleary called "Fifteen", "Are you there God? It's me Margaret" by Judy Blume and "Alice in Wonderland" by Lewis Carroll, although I didn't get half the puns until much later. My copies of those books are dog-eared, stained, and literally falling to pieces...I must've read them a million times.

4. Favourite genres? (Do you read mainly fiction or non-fiction? Do you have a soft spot for horror, sci-fi, or romance?) I read mostly fiction and I guess I would have to say thrillers, but definitely not too bloody ones. Horror fan, I'm not, too much of a wuss. I do read my share of other genres though including sci-fi, a lot of magical realism and romance.

5. Top 5 favourite authors. This is difficult because I'm not that consistent but I'll give it a shot: Isabel Allende (I've read pretty much all her books so I guess that qualifies), Jane Austen (ditto), J.K. Rowling (again the same), John Grisham and I really can not come up with another name. I'll think about it a bit more .

6. Top 5 favourite books. Also difficult but here goes nothing: "La Casa de los Espíritus" (The House of the Spirits) by Isabel Allende, her first and I think her best, "Pride and Prejudice" by Jane Austen, "Bajo el Almendro, Junto al Volcán" (this one is not translated to English, but the title would go something like Under the Almond Tree, Beside the Volcano) by a Honduran author called Julio Escoto a really funny, heartwarming tale which I've come to appreciate even more now that I no longer live in my home country, "El Coronel No Tiene Quien le Escriba" (Nobody Writes the Colonel) by Gabriel Garcia Marquez, and the whole "No. 1 Ladies Dectective Agency" series featuring Mma Ramotswe by Alexander McCall Smith. I'm missing a ton of favourites I'm sure, but for now this will do.

7. Where do you prefer to read? Semi-lying in bed, wrapped in my favourite blanket and with a lot of pillows behind my back for support .

8. Do you like to eat or drink something while you read? If so, what are your foods and beverages of choice? Drink: Coca Cola light whose low calorie effect is directly counteracted by my food of choice: chocolate (especially the Swedish Marabou milk chocolate yum).

9. What do you typically wear when you read? (I swear, I don't mean this in a dirty way. My mind is a pure as the first snow of the year - before it gets contaminated by dog poo and engine exhaust, that is. ) Casual wear? Pyjamas? Jeans? Something more elaborate and stylish? I definitely do not look stylish: lots of old t-shirts and ratty sweat pants going on.

10. On average, how many books do you read a month? Hard to say, maybe two or three. I know it doesn't sound like much, but some months I could read up to six and then some months only one. I'm afraid sometimes reading does get a back seat to work and family and other stuff going on. However, I do make a point of reading at least one book a month no matter how insane things are.

11. How do you get hold of the books? Do you buy them at a bookstore, visit an online store, borrow from a friend or family member, or do you use the library? All of the above plus I have on ocassion snapped up books in flea markets and back yard sales, but lately the online option has been the most common way.

12. Paperback or hardcover? Paperback, but I dream of being rich enough to buy hardcover.

13. At what point do you give up on a book? The only time I've not finished a book was once I got one of those really thick horror stories (I've since repressed the title and the author) that had something to do with a satanic sect and had really graphic descriptions of things like eyes being poked out and orgies. To my impressionable 13 year old self it was the most horrifying book ever written, and in the end I encased it in a box, sealed the box with a ton of heavy duty tape, placed the box in a ton of plastic bags and stole out of my room in the middle of the night to throw it out in a river that ran on the back side of my childhood home, afraid that the characters would somehow find a way to come out of the pages and smother me in my sleep. I know, I know but what can I say, I was a kid. I've since read books like American Psycho, and while I did find it really disturbing, I didn't feel the need to chuck it out the river.

14. How do you find about new books and authors? (Aside from the FORT, that is.) Mostly by browsing in book stores. I usually buy whatever strikes my fancy, even if I've never heard of the author, which means I sometimes get real stinkers, but I've also found some real gems, entirely by serendipity.

15. Best reading-related memory? I have a lot of nice memories related to my reading. I guess finding characters that I can relate to and then the feeling of "I'm glad I'm not the only one" that can come from such a moment.

16. Worst reading-related memory? See answer to question 13.

17. What was the last book(s) you bought? "The Full Cupboard of Life" by Alexander McCall Smith, "Små Citroner Gula" (Yellow Small Lemons???) by Kajsa Ingemarsson (I'm easing into reading some authors from my new home country and I thought these one seemed right for my level) and "The Time Traveler's Wife " by Audrey Niffenegger based on the reviews I've read here.

18. What was the last book you checked out from the library? Digital Fortress by Dan Brown

19. On average, how many hours a week do you spend reading? Varies very much, but I read a lot on weekends and then every night before I go to sleep, so maybe 15 hours?

20. Are you a fast or slow reader? I can read both ways. Used to read very fast but felt a lot of times like I missed things, so I know try to read slowly.

21. Do you sometimes read more than one book at the time? I have read multiple books at one point or another, but I do prefer to concentrate on one book. I think it's more luxurious to lose yourself in one book and then let it sink and digest and even maybe reread once before attacking another .

22. Are you what Stephen King refers to as a Constant Reader, or are there periods where you don't read at all? I've never read Stephen King, actually, naybe in a way due to my unfortunate introduction to the horror genre, so I'm not sure, but I would say I'm a Constant Reader.

23. What's the longest you've gone without reading? Can't remember

24. Why do you read? (This is a tough one, I know) Some of my best and oldest friends live inside a book.

Like I can resist this.

1. How old were you when you learned how to read? 4

2. Were you a big reader growing up? Oh, yeah. And a precocious one...I was reading my mom's old hardcover novels as soon as I was old enough to drag a chair over to her bookshelf.

3. Are there any books that left a big impression on you as a kid? Anne of Green Gables et al, The Secret World of Og, Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret...I think there is probably too many to list!

4. Favourite genres? (Do you read mainly fiction or non-fiction? Do you have a soft spot for horror, sci-fi, or romance?) Mainly fiction, any kind but romance, and I do have a soft spot for true crime.

5. Top 5 favourite authors. Margaret Atwood, Jane Austen, Margaret Laurence, Marilyn French, Clive Barker, Anne Tyler...whoops, too many. Five is not enough!

6. Top 5 favourite books. Lady Oracle, Margaret Atwood; Marjorie Morningstar, Herman Wouk; Pride & Prejudice, Jane Austen; The Woman's Room, Marilyn French; The Secret History, Donna Tartt; Rainbow Valley, Lucy Maud Montgomery...five is not enough here either!

7. Where do you prefer to read? Doesn't matter.

8. Do you like to eat or drink something while you read? If so, what are your foods and beverages of choice? Yes, but it's a bad habit, no better than eating in front of the TV. I'm trying to break it.

9. What do you typically wear when you read? (I swear, I don't mean this in a dirty way. My mind is a pure as the first snow of the year - before it gets contaminated by dog poo and engine exhaust, that is. ) Casual wear? Pyjamas? Jeans? Something more elaborate and stylish? Very un-elaborate and un-stylish PJs.

10. On average, how many books do you read a month? Depends, but usually 3 or 4.

11. How do you get hold of the books? Do you buy them at a bookstore, visit an online store, borrow from a friend or family member, or do you use the library? Mainly library.

12. Paperback or hardcover? Paperback for the books I carry around, hardcover for home.

13. At what point do you give up on a book? It's rare for me to give up on a book - it's only happened two or three times.

14. How do you find about new books and authors? (Aside from the FORT, that is.) Just browsing in the library. And Oprah.

15. Best reading-related memory? Not really a memory, but my mom buys me every new Atwood release in hardcover for Xmas/b'day.

16. Worst reading-related memory? When I read the bill my lawyer sent me for handling my divorce...kidding. Can't think of any.

17. What was the last book(s) you bought? I bought a used copy of Mansfield Park from the used bookstore.

18. What was the last book you checked out from the library? A bunch of Patricia Cornwell's Scarpetta books...I think the last one was Cruel & Unusual.

19. On average, how many hours a week do you spend reading? 10 or 12.

20. Are you a fast or slow reader? Fast!

21. Do you sometimes read more than one book at the time? Usually.

22. Are you what Stephen King refers to as a Constant Reader, or are there periods where you don't read at all? I am one of those Constant Readers.

23. What's the longest you've gone without reading? I can't remember. Never?

24. Why do you read? (This is a tough one, I know) I think because I'm most comfortable in my own head, if that makes any sense.

And where are your answers, geek?
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast