+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Questionnaire about reading habits

Re: Questionnaire about reading habits

1. How old were you when you learned how to read?
    Five

2. Were you a big reader growing up?
    Yes, I loved reading. Hard to get me to do chores

3. Are there any books that left a big impression on you as a kid?
    Trixie Belden books, Nancy Drew & Hardy Boys

4. Favorite genres? (Do you read mainly fiction or non-fiction? Do you have a soft spot for horror, sci-fi, or romance?)
    I'm not big on non-fiction, but do occasionally read about famous figures, FDR, Churchill, etc. I do love mystery, historical romance, & Sci Fi.

5. Top 5 favourite authors.
    Oh -Jane Austin, Georgette Heyer, JK Rowling, lately I am into Jodi Picoult & Stephanie Meyer.

6. Top 5 favorite books.
    Harry Potter series, Twilight series, These Old Shades, Devil's Cub, Bartimaeous series, anything Asimov or Madeleine L'Engle, .

7. Where do you prefer to read?
    In my big comfy chair.

8. Do you like to eat or drink something while you read? If so, what are your foods and beverages of choice?
    Drink juice, tea, or water. Nothing that would distract me.

9. What do you typically wear when you read? (I swear, I don't mean this in a dirty way. My mind is a pure as the first snow of the year - before it gets contaminated by dog poo and engine exhaust, that is. ) Casual wear? Pyjamas? Jeans? Something more elaborate and stylish?
    Casual, jeans, pajamas, but mostly comfy sweats.

10. On average, how many books do you read a month?
    Well, I was on vacation recently and read 10 books in 14 days, but mostly around 6 to 8 a month.

11. How do you get hold of the books? Do you buy them at a bookstore, visit an online store, borrow from a friend or family member, or do you use the library?
    Many from the library, family members, and a lot from a local used bookstore where I recycle and receive credit for books I bring in which is applied to books I take out. I never have to pay cash for those because I have a lot of book credit with the store; in fact when you bring back a book that you "bought" from them, they give you back the same credit that you "paid" for it.

12. Paperback or hardcover?
    Both, but I love hardcovers - they are so much easier to hold. Just feel great in my hands. But, I have a lot of soft covers as well - trade paper.

13. At what point do you give up on a book?
    Well, I will stick it out through at least a third of the book before rejecting it as a waste of my time. If I still don't care for it after that, I will jump through it. (Skim over to get the essentials until either a good point or the end is reached).

14. How do you find about new books and authors? (Aside from the FORT, that is.)
    Library, family, browsing a used Bookstore, or through Amazon.

15. Best reading-related memory?
    Reading and discussing books with my mom, sister, or niece.

16. Worst reading-related memory?
    When I read a book and have negative emotions afterwards - I really don't like that feeling.

17. What was the last book(s) you bought?
    "Eclipse" by Stephanie Meyer

18. What was the last book you checked out from the library?
    Jodi Picoult's "Plain Truth"

19. On average, how many hours a week do you spend reading?
    Maybe 20, since I am currently working as a consultant; when I was working FT I guess about 10.

20. Are you a fast or slow reader?
    Fast.

21. Do you sometimes read more than one book at the time?
    No - I am focused/absorbed in just that one.

22. Are you what Stephen King refers to as a Constant Reader, or are there periods where you don't read at all?
    Not constant, through my life I have had constant periods but I do seem to move in waves, influenced by family and outside interests.

23. What's the longest you've gone without reading?
    Less then a day, I will always find some time for reading a little at least.

Without further ado, I give you THE Reply to your Questionnaire:

1. How old were you when you learned how to read? I am so close to 40 I can't remember but I would say close to 1st grade.I skipped Kindergarden not required then. So @ 6 yrs old the whole Jane Dick and Sally series was the key back in the days. that old yes.

2. Were you a big reader growing up? I did read Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys I loved those books. I loved Dr Seuss and I tried the Laura Ingles books and well nah... I call myself a very picky reader.

3. Are there any books that left a big impression on you as a kid? My grandma would read me Peter Pan and a few other tales. But I loved this.

4. Favourite genres? (Do you read mainly fiction or non-fiction? Do you have a soft spot for horror, sci-fi, or romance?) Well as I said I am a picky reader I read by Author really so I will give you the reply below.

5. Top 5 favourite authors. JKRowling. Stephenie Meyer (hope I spelled that right.) Michael Crichton. Amy Tan. E M Foster.

6. Top 5 favourite books.Any from the five Authors I gave above. of authors I did not include in top 5. Gone with the Wind was good and I read this book when I was in Africa and it was a book of a mans journey in Africa and his adventure. He was a man who searched for animals for zoos to a degree. I cannot remember the name of the author or book title but it was by far the best book I read ever. I felt the same way he had and well it really cracked me up. (I was in Peace Corps.) I also loved the J R Tolkin books.

7. Where do you prefer to read? Couch or Chair.

8. Do you like to eat or drink something while you read? If so, what are your foods and beverages of choice? only if I am hungry or have a munchy feeling. Chips Peanuts and chocolate or cookies too but mostly the first. Drinks Soda... water and or koolaid what I have on hand. (Dr. Pepper Coke or Sprite and flavor of Koolaid would be a mixture of Orange and strawberry.)

9. What do you typically wear when you read? (I swear, I don't mean this in a dirty way. My mind is a pure as the first snow of the year - before it gets contaminated by dog poo and engine exhaust, that is. ) Casual wear? Pyjamas? Jeans? Something more elaborate and stylish? Umm either PJs Causual wear/Jeans.

10. On average, how many books do you read a month? I am lucky if I have the time for one or if I can find one I want to read and am interested in it. This week however I have read all of Stephenie Meyer's books All of them. I can become quite a reader when I like the material.

11. How do you get hold of the books? Do you buy them at a bookstore, visit an online store, borrow from a friend or family member, or do you use the library? Well I usually buy them. I am trying to find things to read at the Library. I really am picky. I wish I wasn't but if I am not interested I will not read it. But when I do find an author I like they can not write enough fast enough for me. I really want to read more I just can find it and or am waiting for the next book from my favorite authors.

12. Paperback or hardcover? I prefer Hard cover. Last longer and I would hope my Son would like some of them when he gets older. I do have a few paperbacks. (My husbaand loves those....)

13. At what point do you give up on a book? First paragraph...or chapter. I can tell. Got to grab me in those first sentences or it will not last. I really hate being picky. I think a lot of it goes with not being so good in English in HS. I loved Poetry and well enjoyed S E Hinton books. I have noticed I do have a style thing when it comes to reading... I am just sort of mulling this over still maybe I will explain this one day... but for now. I love writing in First person and I love Narratives and well Technical Research... like I said very picky (I would even agree weird in taste.) I like to think and imagine.

14. How do you find about new books and authors? (Aside from the FORT, that is.) I am new here so I am hoping to find more great authors to read. But mostly through word of mouth. My Husband is responsible for JKR and a friend from Church is responsible for Stephenie Meyer and As for AMY Tan and Michael Crichton Movies. Wanted to read the book and loved it more than movies.

15. Best reading-related memory? To my son. When we read Seuss and he reads (has memorized too) the word before me. I love that. I want him to enjoy reading and be a better reader that is not so picky but have a bigger range of books Authors.

16. Worst reading-related memory? Charles Dickenson Oliver. I love the movie and the book is good don't get me wrong but I just threw it across the room more than once. It was so sad. I hated that sad story. Sure a some what happy ending but to get to it was so hard and just depressing. (I had to write a paper after reading it too...ugh!) (See I like to think and imagine when I read...I get really attached to the books I like)

17. What was the last book(s) you bought? The Host. Got it for mother's day. I bought the twilight series 4 days before. One week for all four books. I am trying to wait for the Breaking Dawn. I wish JKR was closer to publishing anything else... and Michael Crichton Amy Tan.... Please....

18. What was the last book you checked out from the library? James Patterson's 3rd Degree. OK I am not too Sure about him yet but I am pleased with it so far. I loved Women's Murder Club(BOO HISS at ABC for canceling it) and decided to read his books so we will see...

19. On average, how many hours a week do you spend reading?Well if I like it I really can't put it done. If It is ok maybe 2 to 4 hrs... And depends on if I get time from daily life family.

20. Are you a fast or slow reader? Fast I would think but I would also say a bit slow too...

21. Do you sometimes read more than one book at the time? I checked out 3rd degree after reading twilight series and waiting for buying the Host... once I got Host I put down 3rd Degree. So only one at a time.

22. Are you what Stephen King refers to as a Constant Reader, or are there periods where you don't read at all? I wish I was a constant reader I envy Avid readers. The whole picky thing keeps me from this dream...goal.

23. What's the longest you've gone without reading? Years...I mean years. 10 probably.

24. Why do you read? (This is a tough one, I know) Well Maybe not to tough for a picky reader. I love to just get away from it all. Something to just relax with and enjoy. Like I said think about the possiblities (Crichton there Quatium Physics Come on... that would be so cool.Ok could cause some issues..death hope not but possible... Nano Tech and Genetic DNA... OK I love that possiblities... what is being worked on and could be... Adventure...) and then the Imaginary get lost feel like they are dear friends or family...or even live the novel in the Mind.. like a picture movie as you read it you see it. I love that. I really appreciate a great book and great Authors. (My favorites at least. I think all writers are talented and have a great gift. Not everyone would say that but then you would have to be a fan maybe to say it... so in that everyone has a favorite and books are read and wrote so...I hate being picky but I do love those of my favorites...I read their work way too fast and end the books wanting more.... (Almost addictive to use that anology but I guess that is close to it. I crave more can't get enough of my favorites but I do wait patiently. I am too picky not to. I do have my family too. I feel guilt when I read and ignore them... but it is only a days worth compared too everyday.

Okay man that was really wordy replies... hope you enjoyed it.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Wow... I cannot imagine going years without reading....my greatest pleasure I'd say. That's one of many reasons I'd never sign up for Big Brother...the absence of reading material would truly drive me nuts. No wonder they all read the Bible. Ditto for Survivor, but there at least I hope I'd be kept distracted by camp chores.

1. How old were you when you learned how to read?
    -6 or 7

2. Were you a big reader growing up?
    -Yes

3. Are there any books that left a big impression on you as a kid?
    -A Wrinkle in Time -Madeleine L'Engle
    -Narnia Chronicles -C.S. Lewis
    -The Phantom Tollbooth -Norton Juster and Jules Feiffer
    -Peanuts series -Charles M. Schultz

4. Favourite genres? (Do you read mainly fiction or non-fiction? Do
    you have a soft spot for horror, sci-fi, or romance?)
    -Fiction
    -Metaphysics
    -Mafia True Crime

5. Top 5 favourite authors.
    -William S. Burroughs
    -Bret Easton Ellis
    -Charles Bukowski
    -Douglas Adams
    -Kurt Vonnegut

6. Top 5 favourite books.
    -Invisible Man -Ralph Ellison
    -Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas -Hunter S. Thompson
    -American Psycho -Bret Easton Ellis
    -Fight Club -Chuck Palianuk
    -Hitchiker series -Douglas Adams

-Couch or bed

8. Do you like to eat or drink something while you read? If so, what
    are your foods and beverages of choice?
    -Cookies & milk

9. What do you typically wear when you read?
    -Casual/Comfortable

-1 or 2

11. How do you get hold of the books? Do you buy them at a bookstore,
    visit an online store, borrow from a friend or family member, or do
    you use the library?
    -Online used

-Paper

-When it looks like the author's being paid by the word
    (Tom Clancy, for example)

14. How do you find about new books and authors? (Aside from the FORT, that is.)
    -Amazon recommendations, Friend recommendations

-Reading by the fireplace on cold winter nights

-dull text books at the last minute

-Lost Highway screenplay by David Lynch & Barry Gifford
    -Subgenius Psychlopaedia of Slack: The Bobliographon (3rd in series)

-Photography book of mental patients -can't remember the name, I
    haven't been to the library in years

-5 to 10

-Mid

-indeed

22. Are you what Stephen King refers to as a Constant Reader, or are
    there periods where you don't read at all?
    -the 2nd one

-Months

24. Why do you read? (This is a tough one, I know)
    -Pleasure, and to add on to my mind, like adding new rooms and stories to a house
    People who want to be equal's lives are filled with subtractions and auditions
    Marilyn Manson-Doppelhurz

FORT Newbie

1.How old were you when you learned to read?
    I was seven. I started a little late because I had been held back a year in school, and we didn't learn to read until the first grade. Now, they're teaching kids as young as four, which I think is a great idea; whenever I tell someone I was seven, I get a little embarrassed. I made up for it, though-once I finally learned, I became one of the best readers in the class. Not that I'm bragging, or anything.

2.Were you a big reader growing up?
    Yes. That's all I ever did.

3.Are there any books that left a big impression on you as a kid?
    The Witch of Blackbird Pond, Number the Stars, A Summer to Die, Roald Dahl books, Mother Goose rhymes (disturbing), anything illustrated by Quentin Blake (I thought his work was beautiful, yet unsettling at the same time).

4.Favorite genres?
    Historical fiction, modern fiction, classics, science fiction, poetry, graphic novels/comics, non-fiction.

5.Top five favorite authors?
    1.John Irving
    2.John Steinbeck
    3.Elizabeth McCracken
    4.Sylvia Plath
    5.D.H. Lawrence

6.Top five favorite books?
    1.The Giant's House
    2.The World According to Garp
    3.Peace Like a River
    4.The Poisonwood Bible
    5.The Catcher in the Rye

7.Where do you prefer to read?
    On my big chair/in bed.

8.Do you like to eat or drink while you read? If so, what are your foods or beverages of choice?
    Odwalla blackberry fruit shake/water.

9.What do you typically wear when you read?
    My scrubs.

10.On average, how many books do you read a month?
    One or two, three if I'm on vacation.

11.How do you get hold of the books?
    I usually buy them at a bookstore. I don't really like buying used books, so I go to Borders a lot.

12.Paperback or hardcover?
    Paperback.

13.At what point do you give up on a book?
    If the story doesn't interest me. I'll just ditch it and start reading something else.

14.How do you find out about new books and authors?
    I scan the aisles at the bookstore. I practically live there.

15.Best reading-related memory?
    Reading in my "secret clubhouse" as a kid (AKA, the woodshed).

16.Worst reading-related memory?
    Reading books assigned in college that were long-winded and pretentious. I'm a meat and potatoes kind of girl, so I couldn't stand it when we were assigned a book that had a lot of symbolism, but very little plot. Drove me crazy.

17.What was the last book you bought?
    The Secret Lives of Authors.

18.What was the last book you checked out from the library?
    An encyclopedia on vampires. I was fifteen.

19.On average, how many hours a week do you spend reading?
    Five to ten.

20.Are you a fast or slow reader?
    Fast.

21.Do you sometimes read more than one book at a time?
    Occasionally.

22.Are you what Stephen King refers to as a Constant Reader, or are there periods where you don't read at all?
    I'm a constant reader, for the most part. Sometimes, I get buried at work and don't have as much time to read, but I'm usually reading something.

23.What's the longest you've gone without reading?
    About a month.

24.Why do you read? (This is a tough one, I know).
    Because life wouldn't be as fun and fulfilling if I didn't. That sounds corny, I know, but its true.

1.How old were you when you learned to read?
    4 or 5. I know I was reading before kindergarten, my mom ordered the "I Can Read!" series through the mail.

2.Were you a big reader growing up?
    Huge. I'd read the cereal box at breakfast.

3.Are there any books that left a big impression on you as a kid?
    Loved Nancy Drew and the Bobbsey Twins, Half Magic, Five Children and It, Witches of Worm, The Changeling, Are you there God, It's Me, Margaret...there are lots!

4.Favorite genres?
    Mystery, definitely. And I like mysteries or fiction with a supernatural twist (but not a big vampire fan). I do occasionally veer into different territory though. The nuns always used to get on me for reading "junk" (I'll confess to a Harlequin phase in 4th and 5th grade) and I guess it's a habit I've kept. Of course, one woman's junk is another's treasure

5.Top five favorite authors?
    1. Janet Evanovich
    2. JK Rowling
    3. Sophie Kinsella
    I have a bunch of others that I really like, but I can't really choose any of them as more favorite than another.

6.Top five favorite books?
    1. Harry Potter series
    2. Mystic River
    3. Angels and Demons (better than the Da Vinci code IMO)
    4. Stephanie Plum series
    5. The Hobbit
    See above answer also.

7.Where do you prefer to read?
    Big armchair, couch or bed.

8.Do you like to eat or drink while you read? If so, what are your foods or beverages of choice?
    Tea, water, glass of wine. Cheese and crackers (yes, even in bed!)

9.What do you typically wear when you read?
    Something comfy, often PJ's

10.On average, how many books do you read a month?
    I go in spurts. Anywhere from 1-5.

11.How do you get hold of the books?
    Usually at the bookstore. We have one of the largest Barnes and Nobles here in Madison, and a great mystery bookstore.

12.Paperback or hardcover?
    Both.

13.At what point do you give up on a book?
    I used to always finish a book no matter what, it's only recently that I've started giving up if it doesn't hold my interest. If I'm interested and the book is good, I usually finish it up quickly.

14.How do you find out about new books and authors?
    I hit the bookstore a few times a month. I also check out Amazon.

15.Best reading-related memory?
    I remember I was reading Jaws when I was 9 and my mom came in to tell me my cousin had been born. I was trying to figure out what a "snofa bitch" was, and I actually asked, only to be told it was a "son of a bitch" and I probably shouldn't be reading Jaws.

16.Worst reading-related memory?
    Probably those nuns. I always figured if I was reading, that was a good thing, regardless of what I was reading. Of course now, I realize I should probably branch out and hit the "literature" every once in awhile.

17.What was the last book you bought?
    The Right is Wrong, and Are you there Vodka, It's me Chelsea.

18.What was the last book you checked out from the library?
    The Real Hillary Clinton - a least I think that was the title. I only skimmed it, mostly because it only made me more antagonistic towards her, and I figured there was enough anger there anyway.

19.On average, how many hours a week do you spend reading?
    Depends. Some weeks 3 or 4, some 10 or 12.

20.Are you a fast or slow reader?
    Fast.

21.Do you sometimes read more than one book at a time?
    Occasionally.

22.Are you what Stephen King refers to as a Constant Reader, or are there periods where you don't read at all?
    I'm always in the middle of a book, sometimes it just takes me longer to get to the next one.

23.What's the longest you've gone without reading?
    I'm honestly not sure. I may only get in 15-20 minutes in the day, but even if it's only a magazine, I'm reading something.

24.Why do you read? (This is a tough one, I know).
    I've read as long as I can remember, and there's just something about a good story that puts you in another time and place. You can experience things you never would in real life, or conversely, experience things you would, but through someone else's eyes.
    "With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world."
    Desiderata

"I lost my dignity on a slippery wiener."

1. How old were you when you learned how to read? Don't remember, maybe 5?
    2. Were you a big reader growing up? Yep - and still am!
    3. Are there any books that left a big impression on you as a kid? Don't know if you could say they left an impression, but I still frequently re-read Anne of Green Gables and Little Women. Can't re-read The Yearling, only made it through that one once.
    4. Favourite genres? (Do you read mainly fiction or non-fiction? Do you have a soft spot for horror, sci-fi, or romance?) Cozy mysteries
    5. Top 5 favourite authors. In no particular order: LM Montgomery, LM Alcott, JD Robb, Catherine Coulter, Steve Martini
    6. Top 5 favourite books. Too hard to answer. Too many to choose from! Other than Anne and Little Women, I wouldn't know what to include
    7. Where do you prefer to read? On the couch, but anywhere will do
    8. Do you like to eat or drink something while you read? If so, what are your foods and beverages of choice? Yep! Easiest "reading snack" would be M&Ms and iced tea, or cookies and coffee.
    9. What do you typically wear when you read? (I swear, I don't mean this in a dirty way. My mind is a pure as the first snow of the year - before it gets contaminated by dog poo and engine exhaust, that is. ) Casual wear? Pyjamas? Jeans? Something more elaborate and stylish? Comfy - jammies are great!
    10. On average, how many books do you read a month? Depending on the month and the books, maybe 20? 25?
    11. How do you get hold of the books? Do you buy them at a bookstore, visit an online store, borrow from a friend or family member, or do you use the library? Bookstore, Amazon, and occasional loans
    12. Paperback or hardcover? Love the look of hardcover, but paperbacks are easier to hold and transport
    13. At what point do you give up on a book? I try not to, I think there are less than 10 that I've given up on.
    14. How do you find about new books and authors? (Aside from the FORT, that is.) Brand new to FORT, so haven't found any here yet. :-) Usually see them in the book store or listed on Amazon.
    15. Best reading-related memory? Holding my newborn son, and reading Harlequin romances to him. I know, but he's grown up undamaged! :-)
    16. Worst reading-related memory? The ending of The Yearling. Cried my eyes out.
    17. What was the last book(s) you bought? Hogfather by Terry Pratchett
    18. What was the last book you checked out from the library? Been too long, I don't know.
    19. On average, how many hours a week do you spend reading? How many hours are in a week? Hee hee. 15-20 I'd guess. Maybe more.
    20. Are you a fast or slow reader? Fast
    21. Do you sometimes read more than one book at the time? I try not to, but am currently reading 3.
    22. Are you what Stephen King refers to as a Constant Reader, or are there periods where you don't read at all? Constant.
    23. What's the longest you've gone without reading? Overnight or during the work day
    24. Why do you read? (This is a tough one, I know) Why wouldn't I? :-) Because I love to "escape" into other lives

1. How old were you when you learned how to read? 3
    2. Were you a big reader growing up? Read a lot from 13-16 and then not really a lot again til I moved to Boston 3 years ago.
    3. Are there any books that left a big impression on you as a kid? 1984
    4. Favourite genres? True-crime and Crime Fiction mostly. And satire/humor.
    5. Top 5 favourite authors. In no particular order: Janet Evanovich, George Orwell, Fred W. Hunter, Jefferson Bass, Joe McGinnis
    6. Top 5 favourite books. Too hard to answer.
    7. Where do you prefer to read? On the subway, while walking around the city, on the bus, everywhere but at home.
    8. Do you like to eat or drink something while you read? If so, what are your foods and beverages of choice? No
    9. What do you typically wear when you read? Work Clothes-usually read during work day or while commuting
    10. On average, how many books do you read a month? Depending on the month and the books, maybe 7-12
    11. How do you get hold of the books? Do you buy them at a bookstore, visit an online store, borrow from a friend or family member, or do you use the library? Boston Public Libray, occasional loans, rarely buy one
    12. Paperback or hardcover? Paperbacks are easier on commute-to throw in bag and hold on subway since its crowded.
    13. At what point do you give up on a book? I try not to, I think I have given up on less than 20 in my life, which isnt many.
    14. How do you find about new books and authors? Mostly from people recommending them and looking at books I like on amazon and seeing the recommendations they have for people who liked those books. Also from other sites on line and I found one of my fave authors just stumbling on it while looking for a book at the library that i couldnt find.
    15. Best reading-related memory? dont have one
    16. Worst reading-related memory? Reading The Girl Next Door. Was horrible and sad.
    17. What was the last book(s) you bought? Cant remember. Do library mostly
    18. What was the last book you checked out from the library? Ransom at the Opera - Fred W. Hunter
    19. On average, how many hours a week do you spend reading? How many hours are in a week? Hee hee. 6-8
    20. Are you a fast or slow reader? Fast
    21. Do you sometimes read more than one book at the time? Very rarely
    22. Are you what Stephen King refers to as a Constant Reader, or are there periods where you don't read at all? Constant
    23. What's the longest you've gone without reading? Over holidays when I got on vacation I dont really read as much-which is the opposite of most people. lol
    24. Why do you read? To escape and be in someone elses shoes. Because i LOVE to try to figure out a mystery. and because its so much better than tv or the movies because I can imagine it how I want to.
    ignorance is excellence

1. How old were you when you learned how to read? I don't remember exactly, most likely somewhere around 5 years old with the simple one/two word books
    2. Were you a big reader growing up? Yes I loved to read, not to go into too many details, but I lived in a volatile household and reading was my escape from my world
    3. Are there any books that left a big impression on you as a kid? the Judy Blume books and the Anne of Green Gables series
    4. Favourite genres? (Do you read mainly fiction or non-fiction? Do you have a soft spot for horror, sci-fi, or romance?) I read mostly fiction; although I have a bit of a love for self-help books. I have a soft spot for romance novels and supernatural books.
    5. Top 5 favourite authors
    Nora Roberts
    Charlaine Harris
    J.K. Rowling
    John Grisham
    6. Top 5 favourite books.
    Can't limit it to 5, since there are series that I love equally
    --the Southern Vampire series
    --Harry Potter series
    --Summer Sisters
    --The Three Sisters Island Trilogy
    --Wicked
    Usually on the couch with a blanket or in the tub
    8. Do you like to eat or drink something while you read? If so, what are your foods and beverages of choice?
    It's not a necessity, I prefer to drink water, Pepsi, or OJ anyways so most likely it would be one of those
    9. What do you typically wear when you read? (I swear, I don't mean this in a dirty way. My mind is a pure as the first snow of the year - before it gets contaminated by dog poo and engine exhaust, that is. ) Casual wear? Pyjamas? Jeans? Something more elaborate and stylish?
    Casual Wear or pajamas
    minimum of 3 more or less depending on where I am at in my school work
    11. How do you get hold of the books? Do you buy them at a bookstore, visit an online store, borrow from a friend or family member, or do you use the library?
    Most I buy online from a bookstore
    No preference
    Normally, I don't give up on a book, I will occasionally put a book aside and bring it back out a few days later
    Friends, online, author websites
    Currently, the day I discovered the Southern Vampire series
    The fact that I used reading to survive my childhood without needing massive amounts of therapy (okay so that IS a good thing but it's sad to say)
    Sex and the Single Vampire by Katie MacAlister
    Wolfbane and Mistletoe
    At least 2 hours but it also depends on my school schedule
    Fast reader
    Yup
    22. Are you what Stephen King refers to as a Constant Reader, or are there periods where you don't read at all?
    I consider myself a constant reader, even when I don't have a new book, I will pull out an oldie but a goodie and read it
    probably a few months years ago but only because I was busy with school and being a single mom
    24. Why do you read? (This is a tough one, I know)
    I read now for pleasure. A part of me still uses reading to escape from my life but not because it's bad because it's hectic and crazy and somedays I just need that outlet!

Where The Wind Comes Sweeping Down The Plains

1. How old were you when you learned how to read? Around 5 or 6.
    2. Were you a big reader growing up? I was a moderate reader.
    3. Are there any books that left a big impression on you as a kid? Just Dr. Seuss books.
    4. Favourite genres? (Do you read mainly fiction or non-fiction? Do you have a soft spot for horror, sci-fi, or romance?)
    I usually read fiction; horror or romance.
    5. Top 5 favourite authors. No favorites.
    6. Top 5 favourite books. No favorites
    7. Where do you prefer to read? In my bedroom, preferrably during thunderstorms.
    8. Do you like to eat or drink something while you read? If so, what are your foods and beverages of choice? Not while I read. I usually take a 2 minute break to grab something to drink/eat.
    9. What do you typically wear when you read? (I swear, I don't mean this in a dirty way. My mind is a pure as the first snow of the year - before it gets contaminated by dog poo and engine exhaust, that is. ) Casual wear? Pyjamas? Jeans? Something more elaborate and stylish? PJ's.
    10. On average, how many books do you read a month? 3-4
    11. How do you get hold of the books? Do you buy them at a bookstore, visit an online store, borrow from a friend or family member, or do you use the library? Library, borrow from friends, or just buy them.
    12. Paperback or hardcover? Paperback
    13. At what point do you give up on a book? When I lose interest.
    14. How do you find about new books and authors? (Aside from the FORT, that is.) I see new books at Barnes & Noble/Hastings.
    15. Best reading-related memory? Laughing out loud while reading.
    16. Worst reading-related memory? Wasting time on Breaking Dawn.
    17. What was the last book(s) you bought? Some vampire book. I forget.
    18. What was the last book you checked out from the library? The Color Purple.
    19. On average, how many hours a week do you spend reading? About.. 15-20
    20. Are you a fast or slow reader? Slow. I get distracted easily.
    21. Do you sometimes read more than one book at the time? Yes, all the time.
    22. Are you what Stephen King refers to as a Constant Reader, or are there periods where you don't read at all? There are periods without reading... unfortunately.
    23. What's the longest you've gone without reading? A couple weeks.
    24. Why do you read? I enjoy reading.
    To be one, to be united is a great thing. But to respect the right to be different is maybe even greater. -Bono

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast