+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Questionnaire about reading habits

1. How old were you when you learned how to read? 2
    2. Were you a big reader growing up? still am
    3. Are there any books that left a big impression on you as a kid? The Happy Hollisters series
    4. Favourite genres? (Do you read mainly fiction or non-fiction? Do you have a soft spot for horror, sci-fi, or romance?) Mainly fiction. Children's Series, Historical Romance and Crime
    5. Top 5 favourite authors. James Patterson, JK Rowling, Meg Cabot, KA Applegate, Joanna Lindsey
    6. Top 5 favourite books. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Along Came a Spider, Something for Joey, Size 12 is Not Fat, Gone With the Wind.
    7. Where do you prefer to read? On the Couch or in Bed
    8. Do you like to eat or drink something while you read? If so, what are your foods and beverages of choice? Not Really
    9. What do you typically wear when you read? (I swear, I don't mean this in a dirty way. My mind is a pure as the first snow of the year - before it gets contaminated by dog poo and engine exhaust, that is. ) Casual wear? Pyjamas? Jeans? Something more elaborate and stylish? PJ's
    10. On average, how many books do you read a month? 15-20
    11. How do you get hold of the books? Do you buy them at a bookstore, visit an online store, borrow from a friend or family member, or do you use the library? Buy them from a store/amazon/family trades
    12. Paperback or hardcover? Mainly paperback unless I cannot wait
    13. At what point do you give up on a book? Since, I read the end first, if I don't like the ending-I don't bother about the book
    14. How do you find about new books and authors? (Aside from the FORT, that is.) Reading the back of the books at the store
    15. Best reading-related memory? Keeping myself from getting car sick
    16. Worst reading-related memory? ??
    17. What was the last book(s) you bought? Pleasure for Pleasure
    18. What was the last book you checked out from the library? Can't remember
    19. On average, how many hours a week do you spend reading? 30-40
    20. Are you a fast or slow reader? too fast
    21. Do you sometimes read more than one book at the time? always
    22. Are you what Stephen King refers to as a Constant Reader, or are there periods where you don't read at all? I'd say I'm a Compulsive Reader.
    23. What's the longest you've gone without reading? a day or two
    24. Why do you read? (This is a tough one, I know) to relax, escape, not think

The Truth Is Out There ixcrisxi's Avatar
    1. How old were you when you learned how to read? 5
    2. Were you a big reader growing up? yes, i could go through ten books at a time
    3. Are there any books that left a big impression on you as a kid? I was in love with Redwall. I still love the series, today.
    4. Favourite genres? (Do you read mainly fiction or non-fiction? Do you have a soft spot for horror, sci-fi, or romance?) I noticed that I always wander towards mysteries and thrillers. I love books set in older times with ancient themes.
    5. Top 5 favourite authors. Brian Jacques, Robert Ludlum, Thomas Hardy, R.A. Salvatore. I don't have a fifth.
    6. Top 5 favourite books. Jude the Obscure, The Scarlet Letter, Blankets, Castaways of the Flying Dutchman, The Historian
    7. Where do you prefer to read? In bed, but I enjoy reading more when I'm camping. I love sitting next to the campfire at night and reading my book until the stars are all that's left.
    8. Do you like to eat or drink something while you read? If so, what are your foods and beverages of choice? Not really. I'm too afraid to soil my books.
    9. What do you typically wear when you read? Pajamas, usually.
    10. On average, how many books do you read a month? I usually read two or three books a month. In the summer, I can read around ten or so, depending on my luck with good reads.
    11. How do you get hold of the books? Do you buy them at a bookstore, visit an online store, borrow from a friend or family member, or do you use the library? I either borrow books from my friends or look through the bookstore and buy them. Usually, good books jump out at me where I stand.
    12. Paperback or hardcover? Hardcover. I WILL have my own library someday.
    13. At what point do you give up on a book? I never give up on a book. It may take me longer to read it, but I always finish it.
    14. How do you find about new books and authors? I look at bestseller lists, sometimes. I usually just look through books myself.
    15. Best reading-related memory? Finishing the fifth Harry Potter book while camping.
    16. Worst reading-related memory? Reading about vampires and dreaming for a week that a campire was out to get me in the black of my dorm room.
    17. What was the last book(s) you bought? German Verb Skills... lol
    18. What was the last book you checked out from the library? Hooray for Diffendooffer Day! by Jack Prelutsky and Dr. Seuss
    19. On average, how many hours a week do you spend reading? 20 hours. I get really bored, aside from what I have to read for class.
    20. Are you a fast or slow reader? It all depends on the book. I read pretty fast, though.
    21. Do you sometimes read more than one book at the time? I'm always reading more than one book at a time.
    22. Are you what Stephen King refers to as a Constant Reader, or are there periods where you don't read at all? There are times when I just don't read at all.
    23. What's the longest you've gone without reading? 6 months.
    24. Why do you read? I read because: "A book is the only place in which you can examine a fragile thought without breaking it, or explore an explosive idea without fear it will go off in your face. It is one of the few havens remaining where a man's mind can get both provocation and privacy" (Edward P. Morgan).
    MULDER: It's still there, Scully. 200,000 years down in the ice.

SCULLY:
    Leave it there.

1. How old were you when you learned how to read?

I honestly don't remember. I do know I was one of the first people in my Kindergarden class (age 5) that knew how to read.

2. Were you a big reader growing up?

Yes, and I still am.

3. Are there any books that left a big impression on you as a kid?

I was obsessed with the Baby-sitter's Club and Little House books. Oh yes, and Sweet Vally Twins.

4. Favourite genres? (Do you read mainly fiction or non-fiction? Do you have a soft spot for horror, sci-fi, or romance?)

I read mostly fantasy books. I like working my imagination.

5. Top 5 favourite authors.
    1. Piers Anthony
    2. Anne Maccafery
    3. Robert Asprin
    4. Esther M. Freisner
    5. Mary Brown

6. Top 5 favourite books.
    1. Marley and Me: Love and Life with the World's Worst Dog
    2. Dragon Flight
    3. Another Fine Myth
    4. Pigs Dont Fly
    5. Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul

7. Where do you prefer to read?

Actually lol I do most of my reading in the bathtub. It's nice and relaxing.

8. Do you like to eat or drink something while you read? If so, what are your foods and beverages of choice?

Usually. I usually eat fruit while reading, like blueberries. Things that dont take a lot of concentration in eating

9. What do you typically wear when you read? (I swear, I don't mean this in a dirty way. My mind is a pure as the first snow of the year - before it gets contaminated by dog poo and engine exhaust, that is. ) Casual wear? Pyjamas? Jeans? Something more elaborate and stylish?

I am usually curled up in my bed reading, so I usually read in my pajamas.

10. On average, how many books do you read a month?

Lately, only a few. But I use to read 1-2 books a week when I was younger.

11. How do you get hold of the books? Do you buy them at a bookstore, visit an online store, borrow from a friend or family member, or do you use the library?

I am a firm believer in buying books. I always re-read my books. My mom asked why I do this. I say it's no different than watching a movie. You KNOW what parts to skip over now, because you know they're boring lol.

12. Paperback or hardcover?

Whichever one I can get my hands on. If it's a book I REALLY want to read, like the Harry Potter, Xanth, ot Pern book, I will buy the hardcover. Otherwise, I'll browse the paperbacks.

13. At what point do you give up on a book?

I usually read the very first, and very last pages of a book to see if I want to read it.

14. How do you find about new books and authors? (Aside from the FORT, that is.)

I browse the books, and look at the covers. If they feature a dragon or a chick with a sword, I may pick it up.

15. Best reading-related memory?

Hmmm.... discovering Robert Asprin. I was pleasantly surprised when I started cracking up while I read it.

16. Worst reading-related memory?

My dog getting ahold of a book I was reading, and tearing off the (hard)cover of it.

17. What was the last book(s) you bought?

the 18th Uncle John's Reader!

18. What was the last book you checked out from the library?

Um... I honestly have no idea.

19. On average, how many hours a week do you spend reading?

Only a few.

20. Are you a fast or slow reader?

I've always been a fast reader. I would be the first one done reading whenever a teacher would pass out something for us to read.

21. Do you sometimes read more than one book at the time?

Yes, I would regulalrly read 3 books at a time. I would have one book in the bathroom, one in my bedroom, and one in my school bag.

22. Are you what Stephen King refers to as a Constant Reader, or are there periods where you don't read at all?

I USE to be a Constant Reader. But that was befor the internet invaded my life. Now I am just a Constant Pixel Reader

23. What's the longest you've gone without reading?

A week, if you dont count magazines.

24. Why do you read? (This is a tough one, I know)

Because my brain demands it
    Pink Elephants on Parade!

I had to ask my mother about this. She claims I was three. I think she's lying, though. Being able to recognize "cat" or whatever shouldn't count. Let's say 4.

Yes, very.

Hmm. My parents bought me those Peanuts encyclopedias from the grocery store - anyone else remember those? - and I remember reading them until they were falling apart. I still have my Trixie Belden books, and I re-read them not too long ago. I never realized at the time how sexist they were.

4. Favourite genres? (Do you read mainly fiction or non-fiction? Do you have a soft spot for horror, sci-fi, or romance?)
    I really don't read very much non-fiction at all. Come to think of it, I've never read a non-fiction book that wasn't either a textbook, or some other educational book (i.e. American History for Dummies, or A Brief History of Time.) I suppose my favorite genre is murder mystery types, although I've been on an all Stephen King, all the time binge for the last several months.

I honestly can't answer this question. I don't know

Same as above. I can't even begin to break it down like that.

In bed.

8. Do you like to eat or drink something while you read? If so, what are your foods and beverages of choice?
    Nah, not really. Whatever I have on my nightstand to drink if I'm thirsty in the night.

9. What do you typically wear when you read? (I swear, I don't mean this in a dirty way. My mind is a pure as the first snow of the year - before it gets contaminated by dog poo and engine exhaust, that is. ) Casual wear? Pyjamas? Jeans? Something more elaborate and stylish?
    Whatever I'm sleeping in.

Hmm. This is somewhat skewed these days because of the aforementioned Stephen King extravaganza. One of his damned 1200 page books should count as three normal ones, right? So, maybe 5.

11. How do you get hold of the books? Do you buy them at a bookstore, visit an online store, borrow from a friend or family member, or do you use the library?
    Some I buy, but a huge amount of them are sent to my by my mom. Then every time I move, I get rid (not by throwing in the trash, though) of all my paperbacks and start over.

Paperbacks, almost exclusively. I'm hard on books (I break the spines, fold pages, spill stuff, what have you), and I always feel bad about it when they're hardcovers. Paperbacks, though, are a free for all.

It depends. I gave up on one book last summer because the main female character's name was Bert (BERT!), and I couldn't get past it. Plus, it was just awfully written and cliche (He would have followed Bert into the pits of hell - and he just might have to!!!!), but even if it were a masterpiece, there was no way I was reading it. Bert, for crying out loud.

I gave up on another book a few weeks ago, because again with the cliches. The male character's daughter was killed, and he could only get his emotions out by going to a shooting range. Yes, yes, your testicles are huge, we get it. Whatever.

I've become much more critical of this kind of stuff as I've gotten older, I think. Things piss me off more easily now.

14. How do you find about new books and authors? (Aside from the FORT, that is.)
    Like I said before, my mom sends me a lot of books, and I often haven't heard of the authors prior to receiving them. And she usually has pretty good taste.

Oh, it's sad, but probably when I finished reading the last chapter for the last class I was taking a final for in law school. I knew I was done, and would never ever ever have to read any case law again in my whole life.

I guess it would be the time a book robbed me and beat me up, leaving me bleeding and penniless in an alley.

Um.

Uh.

Hmm. I don't remember. I guess I kind of get all my books purchased for me. I'm a spoiled little princess, it would seem.

I was banned from Buffalo Public libraries, and never joined in Chicago, so it would have to be, like, Flowers in the Attic, or something teenager-y.

....Eight?

Very very fast.

Oh yes, all the time.

22. Are you what Stephen King refers to as a Constant Reader, or are there periods where you don't read at all?
    I go in waves, depending on what's going on in my life.

For pleasure? Maybe two years, although since I'm in one of my reading phases, that sounds so crazy to say. Maybe it isn't even true. I cant really remember.

To help me fall asleep. Because I love getting caught up in stories. Sometimes, because someone says to me "You have to read this and tell me what you think!" But mostly because...I guess I just always have, and I guess I always will. I think. This IS a tough question!

Re: Questionnaire about reading habits

4 - I tricked my older sister into playing school with me and always let her be the teacher
    I have always been an insatiable reader
    The Little Bear series, "Mistress Masham's Repose", "Coffee, Tea, or Me?" - the sexual exploits of airline stewardesses that my big sister passed on to me.
    Anything except horror or romance
    Rosamunde Pilcher, Richard Brautigan, so many! Can't do 5.
    The dictionary, Shell Seekers, Harry Potter series, House of Smoke and Fog, It's Only Too Late if You Don't Start Now
    Anywhere... I used to read in the bathtub (no water) or the round fabric swing when I was a kid
    Yes, whatever I'd be eating anyway because I don't put my book down to eat
    9. What do you typically wear when you read?
    sweats and a t-shirt
    5-ish
    All of the above
    both
    a couple of chapters in - but rarely
    Magazine book reviews, random library picks, book clubs, Amazon serendipity searches, friends
    Buying my house because of the "library" (room with built-in floor to ceiling shelves on 3 walls
    Finding out recently that almost none of my students read for pleasure
    The Bella series
    The Road (?)
    20-ish
    So fast I'm not even aware I'm reading
    rarely
    constant
    n/a
    Reading puts you inside the head of people in situations you would never experience yourself, so it's like leading multiple lives. It gives you more compassion

Fun! Thanks for reviving, Gutmutter. It's so interesting reading everyone's past answers.

1. How old were you when you learned how to read? No idea.
    2. Were you a big reader growing up? I read so much it was astounding. I would go through a book a day when I was 14-16. My mother would take me to the flea market and we'd get a box of books for the month.
    3. Are there any books that left a big impression on you as a kid? I won a poetry contest in first grade and was able to buy my first brand new books that were mine and no one else's. I bought The Velveteen Rabbit, War of the Worlds and a Dungeon's and Dragons choose-your-own-adventure book. I still have all three, so yeah, they were very special to me.
    4. Favourite genres? (Do you read mainly fiction or non-fiction? Do you have a soft spot for horror, sci-fi, or romance?) I rarely read non-fiction, but sometimes I go through a phase and watch a lot of NOVA and read non-fiction. My favorite genre is Sci-Fi. I like classics, too.
    5. Top 5 favourite authors. Orson Scott Card, Arthur C. Clarke, Isaac Asimov, W. Somerset Maugham, Walt Whitman
    6. Top 5 favourite books. Ender's Game, Rama series, Foundation series, Of Human Bondage, Leaves of Grass
    7.. Where do you prefer to read? On the couch.
    8. Do you like to eat or drink something while you read? If so, what are your foods and beverages of choice? Just a drink, and whatever. Wine, Coke, water.
    9. What do you typically wear when you read? (I swear, I don't mean this in a dirty way. My mind is a pure as the first snow of the year - before it gets contaminated by dog poo and engine exhaust, that is. ) Casual wear? Pyjamas? Jeans? Something more elaborate and stylish? Casual wear.
    10. On average, how many books do you read a month? Now, sadly, only one or two. I'm so freakin' busy and I watch too much TV.
    11. How do you get hold of the books? Do you buy them at a bookstore, visit an online store, borrow from a friend or family member, or do you use the library? I buy all of my books or get them as gifts.
    12. Paperback or hardcover? Paperback for most of my books, but I have some first editions hardcover books that are my prized possessions.
    13. At what point do you give up on a book? I have only ever given up on one book, A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man. I just couldn't do it.
    14. How do you find about new books and authors? (Aside from the FORT, that is.) Errr... I dunno. Times Bestseller List?
    15. Best reading-related memory? I wrote a poem in high school with the word "unpenetrable" instead of "impenetrable" because I liked the way the former word sounded. The teacher didn't like it and insisted it wasn't a word. Later, I was reading "Of Human Bondage" and Maugham used the same word. Take that, teacher!!
    16. Worst reading-related memory? That Harlequin Romance phase.
    17. What was the last book(s) you bought? The Labyrinth.
    19. On average, how many hours a week do you spend reading? Less than one.
    20. Are you a fast or slow reader? Fast.
    21. Do you sometimes read more than one book at the time? Never ever. I get totally engrossed in books though and usually end them in a less than two days, no matter how big they are.
    22. Are you what Stephen King refers to as a Constant Reader, or are there periods where you don't read at all? I'm a phase reader. If I have a new book, I'll read it, but I don't get books regularly. The few weeks after Christmas are constant reading though.
    23. What's the longest you've gone without reading? A couple of months maybe.
    24. Why do you read? (This is a tough one, I know) To escape. To fall in love with a character. To feel like I did when I was a kid and thought that magic was just right around the corner.
    One of these days I'll stop being sensitive. Until then, I'll continue to be devastated on a daily basis. Life breaks my heart.

Not sure, 4 or 5

Oh, yeah.

I read and reread both the Nancy Drew and Trixie Belden series and also the Little House books. Also, my aunt gave me a copy of Little Women as a child and it became a fast favorite. Oh, and anything Mark Twain.

fiction, mostly mystery and romance novels

Only 5? Anne Tyler, James Patterson, Patricia Cornwell, Margaret Atwood, Mark Twain

Again, only 5? The Harry Potter series, Cornwellís Scarpetta series, The Accidental Tourist, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, Little Women

Anywhere, but mostly in bed

Of course! Usually water thatís on my nightstand

Usually mismatched pjs or sweats...not elaborate or stylish

2 or 3

Mostly from the library or a half-price bookstore but if I really like it, Iíll buy a copy.

Both but all my favorites are hardcover.

If it doesnít grab me right away, but thatís only happened a few times.

library

Going to the library as a kid was always a treat.

Hmm, probably having a book taken away by a teacher in high school for reading in class instead of doing classwork. Hey, the book was more interesting.

Counting Kisses for my little one. For myself, the last one I bought was Twilight back in the summer.

Book of the Dead by Patricia Cornwell

8-10

fast

Yep!

Constant reader

never

24. Why do you read? (This is a tough one, I know
    )

To escape, unwind, and also for entertainment.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

4 or 5

2. Were you a big reader growing up? bookworm

3. Are there any books that left a big impression on you as a kid? Greek mythology; Grimm fairytales; Hungarian poetry.

4. Favourite genres? I like mostly fiction, some of everything, even romances. I also like biographies of painters and musicians; books on art and artists in general. Poetry.

5. Top 5 favourite authors. No such thing, but if I had to narrow it down Austen and Dumas would be on the list.

6. Top 5 favourite books. No such thing as top anything but some I love: Pride and Prejudice. Arc the Triomphe (Remarque). The Charterhouse of Parma (Stendhal). Three (Dekker). The Flanders Panel. Hundred Years of Solitude. The Age of Innocence.

7. Where do you prefer to read? On the couch into the wee hours of the night if it's something good. Before bed if I can't find any other time.

8. Do you like to eat or drink something while you read? If so, what are your foods and beverages of choice? Sometimes raisins or corn flakes.

9. What do you typically wear when you read?

10. On average, how many books do you read a month? Can't find the time or patience lately for more than 5-10

11. How do you get hold of the books? Do you buy them at a bookstore, visit an online store, borrow from a friend or family member, or do you use the library? I get them everywhere from the library to B&N, to used bookstores, the Goodwill used book section , Amazon etc.

12. Paperback or hardcover? I like quality hardcover, but I mostly go with paperback for ease.

13. At what point do you give up on a book? I fling them across the room when the plot or the prose degenerates into ridiculousness in order to sound original. Pretentious and grandstanding opening paragraphs would land books in the Goodwill giveaway garbage bag faster than anything. And I hate giving away books.

14. How do you find about new books and authors? Internet. Public radio shows. FORT.

15. Best reading-related memory? Curling up on a sofa next to our big window with sunlight streaming in, around age 12 -13.

16. Worst reading-related memory? Unfortunately I remember some of those awful books I threw against the wall...

17. What was the last book(s) you bought? "What's Out There: Images from Here to the Edge of the Universe"

18. What was the last book you checked out from the library? "The Secret Servant" by Daniel Silva.

19. On average, how many hours a week do you spend reading? Don't know.

20. Are you a fast or slow reader? Fast.

21. Do you sometimes read more than one book at the time? I always have 4-5 books going.

22. Are you what Stephen King refers to as a Constant Reader, or are there periods where you don't read at all? It varies but I never go completely without. I used to be much more of a bookworm. Now I'm more selective and it depends on my mood.

23. What's the longest you've gone without reading? A few days.

24. Why do you read? Impossible question. It's like asking why do you breathe.
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

1. How old were you when you learned how to read? My brother and I were both very early readers; about 3. By the time I was in school, I could read anything in the school library.
    2. Were you a big reader growing up? HUGE! It was my escape.
    3. Are there any books that left a big impression on you as a kid? The Oz series, Sweet Valley books, Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry, various mythologies and folk tales, stuff related to the British monarchy.
    4. Favourite genres? (Do you read mainly fiction or non-fiction? Do you have a soft spot for horror, sci-fi, or romance?) Mostly non-fiction, especially history and paleontology. Have a soft spot for historical fiction, and like my trashy romance novels.
    5. Top 5 favourite authors. Antonia Fraser, Alison Weir, Peter Ward, Paul Davies, & Richard Fortey.
    6. Top 5 favourite books. This one is tough, and changes from time to time, but here are a few... The Stand - Stephen King, The Age of Innocence - Edith Wharton, The Life and Death of Planet Earth: How the New Science of Astrobiology Charts the Ultimate Fate of Our World - Donald Brownlee and Peter Ward, Life: A Natural History of the First Four Billion Years of Life on Earth - Richard Fortey, The Six Wives of Henry VIII - Alison Weir
    7. Where do you prefer to read? Nothing like curling up warm in a comfy bed with a good book!
    8. Do you like to eat or drink something while you read? If so, what are your foods and beverages of choice? Not really; will usually have something to sip on for long reading sessions but nothing special.
    9. What do you typically wear when you read? (I swear, I don't mean this in a dirty way. My mind is a pure as the first snow of the year - before it gets contaminated by dog poo and engine exhaust, that is. ) Casual wear? Pyjamas? Jeans? Something more elaborate and stylish? Casual stuff and nightgowns, most often.
    10. On average, how many books do you read a month? Usually at least several, and on occasion LOTS.
    11. How do you get hold of the books? Do you buy them at a bookstore, visit an online store, borrow from a friend or family member, or do you use the library? Yard sales, thrift stores, Amazon, book stores, eBay, you name it.
    12. Paperback or hardcover? Either
    13. At what point do you give up on a book? If the author has a VERY obvious bias that kills any objectivity or obviously is uninformed/really false information (non-fiction). For fiction, if it is really boring or if a character is a complete, annoying "Mary Sue."
    14. How do you find about new books and authors? (Aside from the FORT, that is.) Browsing in book stores and online reviews
    15. Best reading-related memory? My grandmother and I always used to read together when I was a kid; she was very special to me.
    16. Worst reading-related memory? Had to read "A Separate Peace" in school one year-- one of the books I just could not get into, but had to read it.
    17. What was the last book(s) you bought? Picked up a whole bunch on my last trip (see the latest purchases thread, lol), and recently picked up The Matter Myth: Dramatic Discoveries That Challenge Our Understanding of Physical Reality - Paul Davies and John Gribbin.
    18. What was the last book you checked out from the library? Can't remember.
    19. On average, how many hours a week do you spend reading? Really varies, but maybe 12-20?
    20. Are you a fast or slow reader? Fast
    21. Do you sometimes read more than one book at the time? All the time.
    22. Are you what Stephen King refers to as a Constant Reader, or are there periods where you don't read at all? Constant Reader
    23. What's the longest you've gone without reading? Not that long, but can't give you an exact time.
    24. Why do you read? (This is a tough one, I know) Love of learning and curiousity, escape, entertainment.

MRD

Without further ado, I give you THE ultimate questionnaire about one of our favourite pastimes when the monitors are off.

1. How old were you when you learned how to read? 5
    2. Were you a big reader growing up? Oh yes, came from a family of big readers. We read a lot (only had 3 tv channels and no computers back then, so reading was a family affair)
    3. Are there any books that left a big impression on you as a kid? The Borrowers, Trixie Belden, Nancy Drew, The Hollisters
    4. Favourite genres? (Do you read mainly fiction or non-fiction? Do you have a soft spot for horror, sci-fi, or romance?) Mystery, biographies, history, historical fiction. Just about anything but romance and sci-fi unless its time travel. Love time travel books for some reason
    5. Top 5 favourite authors. This is hard and it changes: Rosamund Pilcher, Dorothea Benton Frank, Jan Karon, Randy Wayne White, John Grisham
    6. Top 5 favourite books. Another hard one. Windward Passage, The Wizard of Oz, September by Rosamund Pilcher, Flags of our Fathers, Letters from Nuremberg
    7. Where do you prefer to read? Bed
    8. Do you like to eat or drink something while you read? If so, what are your foods and beverages of choice? Sometimes. Something easy and non-messy so I don't have to put the book down. LIke diet coke and peanuts
    9. What do you typically wear when you read? (I swear, I don't mean this in a dirty way. My mind is a pure as the first snow of the year - before it gets contaminated by dog poo and engine exhaust, that is. ) Casual wear? Pyjamas? Jeans? Something more elaborate and stylish? Pajamas
    10. On average, how many books do you read a month? 10-12
    11. How do you get hold of the books? Do you buy them at a bookstore, visit an online store, borrow from a friend or family member, or do you use the library? Mostly library or from friends, yardsales, bookstores
    12. Paperback or hardcover? Doesn't matter
    13. At what point do you give up on a book? When I finally figure out it is not holding my intererst. I used to stick it out, but realized life is too short to continue reading a bad book I have no interest in.
    14. How do you find about new books and authors? (Aside from the FORT, that is.) Library new release section, New York Times Bestseller list, bookstore, reccomendations from friends, Amazon
    15. Best reading-related memory? sharing books with my husband and then talking about them afterwards
    16. Worst reading-related memory? When I'm reading in public and strangers interupt me to chat. I'm reading because I don't want to chat!
    17. What was the last book(s) you bought? A Taste of South Carolina, cookboook
    18. What was the last book you checked out from the library? The complete works of Truman Capote
    19. On average, how many hours a week do you spend reading? 20+
    20. Are you a fast or slow reader? Fast
    21. Do you sometimes read more than one book at the time? Sometimes
    22. Are you what Stephen King refers to as a Constant Reader, or are there periods where you don't read at all? Constant Reader
    23. What's the longest you've gone without reading? never
    It's fun, its an escape, I learn things, I enjoy it more than tv. I find reading to be interactive instead of passive like watching tv. I love stories and reading about other peoples lives.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast