+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Questionnaire about reading habits

Black Belt Beauty KarateGirl1387's Avatar
    1. I started reading at a very early age, according to my parents. I can't pin-point the exact age and would go ask my mom right now (if both of my parents weren't asleep, haha) but I think it was around 4 years old or so. I know for sure it was before kindergarten.
    2. Absolutely! And I still am...it kind of goes with the territory of being a college student, too. Hehe
    3. 'Where the Red Fern Grows' was probably my first big tear-jerker that we read in elementary school that had a lot of good lessons to offer. I still pick it up from time to time.
    4. I love reading fiction fantasy, sci-fi, romance, and the classics. I don't usually read non-fiction unless it's for a class and I'll read Stephen King books occasionally, but I'm not too big on horror 'cause I start getting all paranoid if it's too scary.
    5. Top 5 favourite authors are (in no particular order): J.K. Rowling, Dan Brown, C.S. Lewis, Nicholas Sparks, and Jane Austen.
    6. Top 5 favourite books...ooh, this is tough! Again, in no particular order: Harry Potter series (does that count?), The Five People You Meet In Heaven, Memoirs of a Geisha, The Da Vinci Code, and 1984.
    7. I prefer to read on a nice comfy couch or chair in someplace that's ideally quiet/peaceful and not too loud, though I can read with people and background noise around me with no problem.
    8. I don't normally eat anything when I read, but I'll drink bottled water if I'm thirsty.
    9. I like to be comfortable when I read, so usually it'll be pajamas or sweats, but sometimes I'll be in a spontaneous "reading mood" and I'll just plop down and go to it, despite what I'm wearing.
    10. It really all depends on what month we're talking about. During my high school years I would read about 1 book per month (one that wasn't required for school, lol) and now that I'm in college I've discovered that my life is busier than ever and all we basically do is read (a lot) for homework so I think went through 2 books at the maximum this past school year. Though now that it's summer and I have all this downtime (plus a lot of sitting around doing nothing at my job) and I've gone through 6 books already.
    11. I usually go to Border's bookstore 'cause they always have coupons where it's 'Buy 3, get the 4th free' or something like that, plus I love their coffeehouse-like atmosphere Though I've discovered 2 used bookstores in the town where I go to school and they have really good bargains!
    12. It doesn't really matter to me, both have their pros and cons. I like hardcover 'cause it's easier to keep them opened while you're reading but they cost more; I like paperback 'cause they tend to be smaller (which I can fit into my purse and take wherever I go) and cheaper but they wear down easier than hardcover.
    13. I've rarely ever given up on a book. I think it was only one time when the plot was just so dry and dull that I wanted to fall asleep.
    14. I usually get recommendations from friends (or word of mouth) about new books and/or authors. During my senior year in high school my English teacher was the head of our Breakfast Book Club and he gave me a bunch of awesome reading material.
    15. I can't really pinpoint one exact moment, but I just love it when I'm in the middle of reading a book and all of a sudden there's a major surprise thrown in there by the author (plot twist, unexpected death, etc.) that I totally didn't expect to happen.
    16. I don't really have one, but when I read 'The Jungle' 3 years ago it kind of made me want to turn vegetarian after reading the graphic details about meat-packing plants at the turn of the century, lol
    17. 'The Count of Monte Cristo' and 'Brave New World.' Both were fantastic!
    18. I don't go to the library anymore to check out books that I read for fun...nowadays it's off to the (campus) library to study or photocopy stuff from the reference books. But I think the last book I checked out was for my research paper this year, it was called 'Dear Old Hill.' I don't expect anyone to know or even have heard of this, haha.
    19. I don't know, it's probably about 10 hours now (summertime) and I don't know about during the school year...it kind of depends upon my workload, classes, and what the week looks like for me.
    20. I'm kind of a fast reader.
    21. Not usually, but sometimes. It happened more in high school when we'd be reading a book or two for our class(es) and then I'd be reading another one just for fun. I don't normally like to read more than one at the same time (especially if they're really similar in genre or plot) 'cause then I start getting confused and they'll start to mesh together.
    22. Yeah, I'm a pretty constant reader, or at least I try to be. There will be times where I'm just way too busy with other things or I haven't come across any new/good books to read...those are my periods of hiatus.
    23. Probably 3 months, not sure though.
    24. I read because I love it when my imagination can just run wild. That's the difference between movies and books: the reason why the movie is never as good as the book is because when you're given concrete images on screen and told that's how the character/scene looks, whereas when you're reading you can imagine it to be or look like whatever you believe.
    "Dancing is the vertical expression of a horizontal desire."

1. How old were you when you learned how to read? I learned to read at the age of 6.

2. Were you a big reader growing up? I was definitely an avid reader.

3. Are there any books that left a big impression on you as a kid? There were many which left an impression upon me. Trixie Belden, Phyllis A. Whitney (young adult), Meg, and Nancy Drew were among my favorite mystery books. I also enjoyed the Anne of Green Gables and Little House on the Prairie series as well. T.H. White's Mistress Masham's Repose and Madeleine L'Engle books revealed a new genre which I thoroughly love, too. In my teen years, I discovered a set of books called the "Twilight Series", clearly spurring my interest in the horror genre.

4. Favourite genres? (Do you read mainly fiction or non-fiction? Do you have a soft spot for horror, sci-fi, or romance?) My collection consists of fiction and non-fiction but tend to gravitate towards suspense/mystery and science-fiction/fantasy.

5. Top 5 favourite authors. This is a tough question for I have so many favorites. Piers Anthony, Zora Neale Hurston, Barbara Michaels, J.K. Rowling, Dean Koontz, Andre Norton, Diana Wynne Jones, Franz Kafka, C.S. Lewis, James Baldwin, Noam Chomsky, Anne Rice, Marion Zimmer Bradley ... the list could go on. LoL!

6. Top 5 favourite books. Another tough question to answer. LoL! The Xanth Series by Piers Anthony, the Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling, If Beale Street Could Talk by James Baldwin, Charmed Life by Diana Wynne Jones, The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley, The Chomsky Reader by Noam Chomsky ... and yes, the list could continue onward.

7. Where do you prefer to read? I have two "nooks". Curled up on the sofa or resting on my stomach with a pillow propping up my upper extremities in bed.

8. Do you like to eat or drink something while you read? If so, what are your foods and beverages of choice? It depends on whether or not I'm really engrossed within the pages. If I have something, it's likely to be a Coke and a grease-free snack (particular about my books) such as Pringles or Jelly Bellys.

9. What do you typically wear when you read? (I swear, I don't mean this in a dirty way. My mind is a pure as the first snow of the year - before it gets contaminated by dog poo and engine exhaust, that is. ) Casual wear? Pyjamas? Jeans? Something more elaborate and stylish? The pure comfort of lounge pants and a t-shirt at home. Can't be bothered with the thought of tugging at uncomfortable clothes whatsoever.

10. On average, how many books do you read a month? I read approximately 4 books per month.

11. How do you get hold of the books? Do you buy them at a bookstore, visit an online store, borrow from a friend or family member, or do you use the library? I prefer to purchase them at a bookstore. I've perused the online stores from time to time but the temptation is so great that I would likely go overboard, so the effort to steer clear is in my best interests. LoL! And, the library, I'm unsure where it is here (moved to WA three months ago, so still adjusting to the area).

12. Paperback or hardcover? I have both but prefer paperbacks. Hardbound books are a bit cumbersome.

13. At what point do you give up on a book? I never do, for I'm quite careful in regards to "screening" prior to purchasing.

14. How do you find about new books and authors? (Aside from the FORT, that is.) To keep abreast of new books and authors, I refer to favorite authors' online sites, and, will google any references to other authors mentioned.

15. Best reading-related memory? I recall my older sister reading Mistress Masham's Repose to me when I was about 8 or 9 years of age. She would even go so far as to pretending that we had fairies beneath our bed, and, the mythical creatures would grant us sweet dreams throughout the night while we slept.

16. Worst reading-related memory? At the age of 19, I overheard a phone conversation in which the aforementioned older sister stated to my mother that I lived in a fantasy world due to reading too many sci-fi/fantasy books. Go figure.

17. What was the last book(s) you bought? Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.

18. What was the last book you checked out from the library? It's been so long that I can't honestly recall. Thinking I need to find the local library soon.

19. On average, how many hours a week do you spend reading? It varies, but on the average, I'd say approximately 84 hours.

20. Are you a fast or slow reader? I'm a fast reader.

21. Do you sometimes read more than one book at the time? Never have. I think if I did, my mind would wander to the other book until finishing it.

22. Are you what Stephen King refers to as a Constant Reader, or are there periods where you don't read at all? I admit there was a period of lapse in which I didn't read for a few months due to work and graduate school (prior to that, I had purchased quite a few books, just waiting to be read). Since the load has lightened, I'd consider myself a Constant Reader.

23. What's the longest you've gone without reading? Approximately 6 months - that was sheer torture. LoL!

24. Why do you read? (This is a tough one, I know) Reading allows me to escape the daily grind, providing me the coping mechanism to deal with the atrocities in the world. My background lies in special education, and honestly, there were moments in which the emotional aspect entailing the profession left me with the desire to take a step back with a book in hand so that I could do well in the workplace. I also love the notion that one can pick up a book at any given moment and allow the mental canvas to convey what it may at the imagination's whim.

Can't sleep and it is the weekend so I am finally going to take the time to answer this.

1. How old were you when you learned how to read? I started to learn to read when I was 4, as that is when I started school in the UK, and have been reading ever since.

2. Were you a big reader growing up? Yep. This is one thing that really took to. As a youngster I didn't really go much for math/science but loved anything to do with reading.

3. Are there any books that left a big impression on you as a kid?
    My Mum read books in the hall to my brothers and I every night. She was sit in the hall so that all three of us could hear. Three books from that jump out at me: The Donkey Cart Kids, The Chronicles of Narnia, and The Solusi Story. The Chronicles of Narnia was actually the topic of my extended essay (dissertation) 15 years after my Mum first read it to me. The first books that I remember reading myself were: Beezus and Ramona and the Superfudge books. I loved them --- but I don't know if they shaped me in anyway. When I was a teenager my Mum gave my brothers and I a book intitled 4 on the Edge --- that book kept me on the straight and narrow for a LONG time. When I was in 10th grade I read Crime and Punishment in two days....that is something I will never forget.

4. Favourite genres? (Do you read mainly fiction or non-fiction? Do you have a soft spot for horror, sci-fi, or romance?)

When I was in Uni and a lit major obviously I had to read a lot of the classics. Since I was also in the UK Shakespeare was a main focus. Since I had to over analyze texts a lot I was extremely burnt out by the end of my time there. I love John Grisham, Maeve Binchey, any British Chick Lit, Joanne Harris. I have quite a few religous books...being a preachers kid. I think that I will read anything. Even if I don't enjoy a book, I can't not read the whole thing -- I started so I'll finish.

5. Top 5 favourite authors.

I know that I always leave someone off this list....and it is forever rotating.

For now: John Grisham, Maeve Binchey, Joanne Harris, JK Rowling and tie between Thomas Hardy/Christina Rosetti/William Blake

6. Top 5 favourite books.

Cutting out any series...

Songs of Innocence and Experience (William Blake), Tess of the d'Urbervilles (Thomas Hardy, On The Road (Jack Kerouac), Day of the Locusts (Nathanael West), A Time to Kill (John Grisham), On Fortunes Wheel (Cynthia Voight)

7. Where do you prefer to read?

Most of my reading is done at AR periods during school, if the kids are quiet, and my prep period --- if I am not subbing somewhere else at that time. I have a hammock at my new place that I like to read in...but it lulls me to sleep. I read on my bed a bit too. Once a month I will go read at the local coffee shop.

8. Do you like to eat or drink something while you read? If so, what are your foods and beverages of choice?
    Normally I drink lots and lots of water.

9. What do you typically wear when you read?
    Work attire (think teacher), pyjamas, or workout clothes.

10. On average, how many books do you read a month?
    I would say on average 10 to 15.

11. How do you get hold of the books? Do you buy them at a bookstore, visit an online store, borrow from a friend or family member, or do you use the library?
    Generally it is the library. If I go into the bookstore I spend money that I don't have. I get books for Christmas and my birthday.

12. Paperback or hardcover?
    Depends on who the author is...my John Grisham books are mostly hardback and my Maeve Binchey ones are paperback.

13. At what point do you give up on a book?
    I don't. After having to suffer through some brutal ones when I was in Uni I blatantly refuse to stop reading a book once I have started it. If I do truly hate it I make a note in my journal to never get a book by that person again.

14. How do you find about new books and authors? (Aside from the FORT, that is.)
    Through other teachers, my Mum, other message boards, and just by randomly scanning shelves at the library.

15. Best reading-related memory?
    My Mum's voice when she was reading to my brothers and I.

16. Worst reading-related memory?
    Reading the chapter in My Sergei that described his death. I had just had a friend die recentley and that chapter hit me hard. I sobbed for a long time after I got through it.

17. What was the last book(s) you bought?
    My Sister's Keeper, The Devil Wears Prada, Everyone Worth Knowing.

18. What was the last book you checked out from the library?
    Time After Time, though I have a stack of 10 there.

19. On average, how many hours a week do you spend reading?
    A minimum of 14 hours a week.

20. Are you a fast or slow reader?
    Very fast.

21. Do you sometimes read more than one book at the time?
    Depends on the type of book. If it is all engrosing - no. If more superficial - yes.
    22. Are you what Stephen King refers to as a Constant Reader, or are there periods where you don't read at all?
    Constant reader sounds right.

23. What's the longest you've gone without reading?

A day....and that might be pushing it.

24. Why do you read? (This is a tough one, I know)

It fills a void in my life. It is something I enjoy. It allows me to use my imagination.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

Oh I love a good survey! That's so cool you started this thread geek! I feel so bonded.

1. How old were you when you learned how to read? 3ish - my big sister taught me
    2. Were you a big reader growing up? For the most part, until I hit high school & college & was forced to read crap I didn't enjoy!
    3. Are there any books that left a big impression on you as a kid? A book by Dale Evans Rogers (Roy Rogers wife) called "Angel Unaware". It was about their 2 year old who was mongoloid and written from the baby's perspective. Their daughter unfortunately died at that young age.
    4. Favourite genres? (Do you read mainly fiction or non-fiction? Do you have a soft spot for horror, sci-fi, or romance?) I've been on a mystery kick for a good while now, dabbling in regular fiction once in a while. Although I've gone through phases of biographies and other non-fiction too.
    5. Top 5 favourite authors. James Patterson, Janet Evanovich, Robert Parker, Kathy Reichs, M.C. Beaton
    6. Top 5 favourite books. Although I didn't list her, all of the Harry Potter books - J.K. Rowling (we'll count that as one!), The Jester - James Patterson, Dirty Jokes and Beer - Drew Carey, any of the Stephanie Plum books - Janet Evanovich, and Dave Barry's book about screwing up lyrics to songs (I forget the name!)
    7. Where do you prefer to read? I like to read in bed, or outside having a cigarette (I'm evil for smoking, I know.)
    8. Do you like to eat or drink something while you read? If so, what are your foods and beverages of choice? Not usually, maybe a Diet Coke or water.
    9. What do you typically wear when you read? (I swear, I don't mean this in a dirty way. My mind is a pure as the first snow of the year - before it gets contaminated by dog poo and engine exhaust, that is. ) Casual wear? Pyjamas? Jeans? Something more elaborate and stylish? Comfy clothes usually, although I don't have a preset wardrobe for reading!
    10. On average, how many books do you read a month? Probably 6 or so.
    11. How do you get hold of the books? Do you buy them at a bookstore, visit an online store, borrow from a friend or family member, or do you use the library? I am a huge fan of the library, as I don't normally read the same book twice. Although lately I've been buying used books from any vintage book store I can get to. Paying 25 cents for a book is ok with me!
    12. Paperback or hardcover? paperback if I can get it!
    13. At what point do you give up on a book? Almost never. I need councelling I'm sure.
    14. How do you find about new books and authors? (Aside from the FORT, that is.) Usually I just stumble across something at the library. For instance, a friend suggested James Patterson (who's name is Jim Patterson incidently!) and when I was at the library looking for James Patterson's books I hadn't read yet, I stumbled upon Robert Parker - neat!
    15. Best reading-related memory? I went to donate blood one day and had brought a book along. The lady that pricks your finger to test your iron saw the book and we had a great chat. She suggested a few more authors for me too!
    16. Worst reading-related memory? Hands down - David Copperfield. Worst book I ever read! I thought I'd try reading a classic my friend had given me and at the time I wanted to get into reading stuff like that. You know, Charles Dickens is an icon, right? Well it was 811 pages of sheer hell. Please see my answer to # 13.
    17. What was the last book(s) you bought? Robert Parker - Potshot. 25 cents at the library used book sale!
    18. What was the last book you checked out from the library? Got one out right now - Laura Lippman - No Good Deeds
    19. On average, how many hours a week do you spend reading? Probably 10-15
    20. Are you a fast or slow reader? Let's go with medium.
    21. Do you sometimes read more than one book at the time? Almost always. Trying to multi-task, even when it should be relaxing!
    22. Are you what Stephen King refers to as a Constant Reader, or are there periods where you don't read at all? Constant reader. Hadn't heard that term before!
    23. What's the longest you've gone without reading? For school I was always reading, but it was usually text books, so the few years during high school and college I probably didn't pick up a book for entertainment very often.
    24. Why do you read? (This is a tough one, I know) Tough question! I love getting engrossed in a different world for a while. I'm not trying to escape anything, it's just as fun for me as watching reality tv!

That was so fun to answer. Thanks for thinking up the list!

1. How old were you when you learned how to read? 4
    2. Were you a big reader growing up? YES. I remember being about 9 years old, sitting down with a Babysitters Club paperback, and reading the entire thing cover to cover in a couple hours. I couldn't read enough.
    3. Are there any books that left a big impression on you as a kid? The Diary of Anne Frank, To Kill a Mockingbird
    4. Favourite genres? (Do you read mainly fiction or non-fiction? Do you have a soft spot for horror, sci-fi, or romance?) My favorite genre is memoirs, though I love fiction geared toward females (ie., Oprah books), non-fiction, true crime, really anything that intrigues me.
    5. Top 5 favourite authors. Wally Lamb
    6. Top 5 favourite books. She's Come Undone, Natasha: The Biography of Natalie Wood, The Diary of Anne Frank
    7. Where do you prefer to read? At home, in bed before I go to sleep
    8. Do you like to eat or drink something while you read? If so, what are your foods and beverages of choice? Yes, as a kid I would always have a book at the table for lunch. I like to eat or drink anything while eating, doesn't matter!
    9. What do you typically wear when you read? (I swear, I don't mean this in a dirty way. My mind is a pure as the first snow of the year - before it gets contaminated by dog poo and engine exhaust, that is. ) Casual wear? Pyjamas? Jeans? Something more elaborate and stylish? Pjs!
    10. On average, how many books do you read a month? 1, sometimes 2 at the same time
    11. How do you get hold of the books? Do you buy them at a bookstore, visit an online store, borrow from a friend or family member, or do you use the library? Usually I order them from half.com, sometimes from a bookstore.
    12. Paperback or hardcover? Paperback all the way. I hate hardcovers!

13. At what point do you give up on a book? Really early--if I'm not getting into it by Chapter 2, I'm done.
    14. How do you find about new books and authors? (Aside from the FORT, that is.) Read book reviews in magazines and the newspaper, from online bookstores, or recommendations from friends.
    15. Best reading-related memory?
    16. Worst reading-related memory? Throwing up on one of my favorite Judy Blume books when I was about 11.
    17. What was the last book(s) you bought? Water for Elephants, Man of My Dreams
    18. What was the last book you checked out from the library?
    19. On average, how many hours a week do you spend reading? Totally varies
    20. Are you a fast or slow reader? Very fast
    21. Do you sometimes read more than one book at the time? All the time!
    22. Are you what Stephen King refers to as a Constant Reader, or are there periods where you don't read at all? I vary because I am picky about what I read.
    23. What's the longest you've gone without reading? A couple months
    24. Why do you read? (This is a tough one, I know) I love using my imagination while reading--I never tire of picturing the characters and situations in my head, rather than have them acted out on a tv screen.

I Is Stephanie
    1. How old were you when you learned how to read? I can't really remember, I have memories of sitting in front of a computer in kindergarten, with a computer "teaching" us how to read, with me wishing it would hurry the hell up, because I was done with the current screen. I don't think I actually realized that I knew how to read until about 2 months later.
    2. Were you a big reader growing up? when I was really young, my mom read me a book every night, and as punishment, I wouldn't get the book if I misbehaved. I don't think I read quite so much anymore, but I do still read a lot.
    3. Are there any books that left a big impression on you as a kid? Hop on Pop, and Dr. Seuss' Sleep Book. I now it sounds lame, but I still read these books every now and then. I think they were the first "real books" that I ever read.
    4. Favourite genres? (Do you read mainly fiction or non-fiction? Do you have a soft spot for horror, sci-fi, or romance?) Sci-fi, as long as it's somewhat funny, too.
    5. Top 5 favourite authors. Terry Prachett, Douglas Adams, Mark Mathabane, um... Dr. Seuss.
    6. Top 5 favourite books. Miriam's Song, The Night Before Christmas, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Hop on Pop, How the Grinch Stole Christmas... I know, I act like I'm 2 sometimes...
    7. Where do you prefer to read? I can read just about anywhere, but I prefer really soft pillows, really obsure corners, and really hot air vents. I don't like to read in libraries, though.
    8. Do you like to eat or drink something while you read? If so, what are your foods and beverages of choice? Cookies, candy, and my fizzy juice, PEPSI. I have to have PEPSI when I read.
    9. What do you typically wear when you read? (I swear, I don't mean this in a dirty way. My mind is a pure as the first snow of the year - before it gets contaminated by dog poo and engine exhaust, that is. ) Casual wear? Pyjamas? Jeans? Something more elaborate and stylish? Just about whatever I put on to wear that day.
    10. On average, how many books do you read a month? 2-4.. I think... I can't say that I count them, although I'm supposed to for school... Oh well.
    11. How do you get hold of the books? Do you buy them at a bookstore, visit an online store, borrow from a friend or family member, or do you use the library? I buy them new, I have something serious against libraries. I don't know why. Besides, I like to highlight my books in pretty colors!
    12. Paperback or hardcover? Paperback, if it stays open by itself.
    13. At what point do you give up on a book? If it's not interesting in the first hundred pages, or if it's a school assignment. Uh-oh... I didn't mean to say that, I swear... I love school assignments...
    14. How do you find about new books and authors? (Aside from the FORT, that is.) Friends, or the front table of a bookstore.
    15. Best reading-related memory? Realizing that I was the best reader in my 1st grade class. (sad, I know)
    16. Worst reading-related memory? There's 2 ways to spell my last name, the Spanish way and the Italian way. I spell it the Italian way, but whenever there's the (more common) Spanish way in a book, people tell me I don't know how to spell my last name. I hate those moments.
    17. What was the last book(s) you bought? A Su Doku book. But before that, a book from the Gossip Girl series.
    18. What was the last book you checked out from the library? Can't remember back 10 years...
    19. On average, how many hours a week do you spend reading? Counting the FoRT, a pretty few. 7 or 8 maybe.
    20. Are you a fast or slow reader? FAST
    21. Do you sometimes read more than one book at the time? Yep, one at school, one at home, and sometimes even more.
    22. Are you what Stephen King refers to as a Constant Reader, or are there periods where you don't read at all? I think I read every day, not necessarily books, but I do read. Even if it's just the subtitles on the TV.
    23. What's the longest you've gone without reading? I don't know, 12 hours?
    24. Why do you read? (This is a tough one, I know) As a very little child, I was told I had to read to be smart, and I guess it just became habit eventually.
    Last edited by 11sstephanie; 11-17-2006 at 09:01 PM.
    ...And the strange boy continued to weave in and out of her life, leaving her with a sense of wonder and amazment, but also, a feeling of loss, knowing that life might never be the same again.

1. How old were you when you learned how to read?4
    2. Were you a big reader growing up? yes
    3. Are there any books that left a big impression on you as a kid?Robt Heinlein Stranger in a Strange Land
    4. Favourite genres? (Do you read mainly fiction or non-fiction? Do you have a soft spot for horror, sci-fi, or romance?)biographies and fiction
    5. Top 5 favourite authors. I Asimov, D R Koontz, S King, J Kellerman, L Spencer
    6. Top 5 favourite books. Foundation Trilogy, The Stand, The Wedding7. Where do you prefer to read?
    8. Do you like to eat or drink something while you read? If so, what are your foods and beverages of choice? Diet Rite and pretzels
    9. What do you typically wear when you read? (I swear, I don't mean this in a dirty way. My mind is a pure as the first snow of the year - before it gets contaminated by dog poo and engine exhaust, that is. ) Casual wear? Pyjamas? Jeans? Something more elaborate and stylish? casual or pjs
    10. On average, how many books do you read a month? 5-7 a week
    11. How do you get hold of the books? Do you buy them at a bookstore, visit an online store, borrow from a friend or family member, or do you use the library? Library and bookstore
    12. Paperback or hardcover? both
    13. At what point do you give up on a book? I once gave up on a book midway. In all my years of reading, I guess that's not too bad. I try to find something positive in everything!
    14. How do you find about new books and authors? (Aside from the FORT, that is.) I scour our library's shelves. We have fantastic new book and large print new books!
    15. Best reading-related memory? They were all good.
    16. Worst reading-related memory? None in memory
    17. What was the last book(s) you bought? I bought Lisei's Story for one of my sons
    18. What was the last book you checked out from the library? I usually check out 7-10 at a time.
    19. On average, how many hours a week do you spend reading? too many
    20. Are you a fast or slow reader? fast
    21. Do you sometimes read more than one book at the time? I sometimes have one at work and one at home.
    22. Are you what Stephen King refers to as a Constant Reader, or are there periods where you don't read at all? I am a constant reader.
    23. What's the longest you've gone without reading? 3 days-I was in the hospital
    24. Why do you read? (This is a tough one, I know) I feel compelled to read...I don't really have a choice.

Doing a lap before I commit to a location
    1. How old were you when you learned how to read? I was reading at 4. Really honestly reading.
    2. Were you a big reader growing up? Absolutely. Total bookworm. I read anything, including every street sign and advertisement I saw as we drove/walked anywhere. I still do that. That’s how I know where everything is, and also how I know when we’re lost.
    3. Are there any books that left a big impression on you as a kid? Yes, almost every book I read impressed me in its own way: from Shel Silverstein’s books to Johnny Get Your Gun…from Judy Blume and Paula Danziger to the books my Dad read by Sidney Sheldon…from Anne of Green Gables series to V.C. Andrews…from required reading for school to grabbing whatever biography my Grandma was reading at the time.
    4. Favourite genres? (Do you read mainly fiction or non-fiction? Do you have a soft spot for horror, sci-fi, or romance?) Mostly Fiction…Chick-lit, Mysteries Romances, and Suspense and Horror. The occasional Biography or otherwise lightweight Non-fiction.
    5. Top 5 favourite authors. Jane Green, Anna Maxted, Katie MacAllister, Heather Graham, Jayne Ann Krentz
    6. Top 5 favourite books. Oh gosh, purely based on how often I’ve read the same book, not its impact or any other reason: Alice In Wonderland series by Lewis Carroll, I Never Promised You a Rose Garden by Joanna Greenberg, The Shining by Stephen King, Until the Real Thing Comes Along by Elizabeth Berg, Message in a Bottle by Nicholas Sparks, Was It Something I Said? by Valerie Block, Suspicion by Barbra Rogan. More recently: any of Katie MacAllister’s books, Hanging by a Thread by Karen Templeton, Jemima J by Jane Green, The Song Reader by Lisa Tucker. That’s eleven, I overreached quite a bit there.
    7.. Where do you prefer to read? In bed.
    8. Do you like to eat or drink something while you read? If so, what are your foods and beverages of choice? Ice cream, cookies, chips, whatever is at hand that doesn’t require knife and fork
    9. What do you typically wear when you read? (I swear, I don't mean this in a dirty way. My mind is a pure as the first snow of the year - before it gets contaminated by dog poo and engine exhaust, that is. ) Casual wear? Pyjamas? Jeans? Something more elaborate and stylish? Whatever I’m wearing at the time…work clothes, pjs, weekend gear.
    10. On average, how many books do you read a month? 6?
    11. How do you get hold of the books? Do you buy them at a bookstore, visit an online store, borrow from a friend or family member, or do you use the library? Grandma works for a big publishing house, so I get all sorts of stuff from her, Big booksellers like Border’s (you have to see the amount of my membership savings just for half of this year!) and independent resale/trade-in shops, we have a large yet cozy and wonderful book exchange nearby, and a few smaller dusty (not conducive to wandering about) stores.
    12. Paperback or hardcover? I prefer paperback for reading in bed, but reading a hardcover is more convenient for commuter life. It’s a tradeoff -- carrying a heavier more cumbersome book is a pain, but when you could lay a book flat on your lap or on the table while you’re eating lunch it’s worth it.
    13. At what point do you give up on a book? It doesn’t happen often, but I could call it quits after a bad first chapter.
    14. How do you find about new books and authors? (Aside from the FORT, that is.) Browsing either on the Internet or milling about the store, collecting armfuls of books then sitting down to write down any book I’m not getting this time around so I can get it soon.
    15. Best reading-related memory? We have pictures of me with books all over our family photo albums: me in my dad’s recliner all bundled up with his book, engrossed in a book while everyone else was watching television, sitting there wearing fake glasses next to my mom with her real reading glasses both of us reading and pretending not to see the camera… dorky stuff like that.
    16. Worst reading-related memory? Being chastised in class by teachers who insisted I was lying that I’d read the assignment already. I don’t know about other areas/teachers, but our teachers were famous for giving a reading assignment in class when they wanted us to shut the heck up. I’d been sent to the principal more than a few times on account of foiling their evil plans to get some free time during the work day and my smart mouth when I was called out. I guess it was galling for them to see this girl sitting there calmly waiting for everyone else to finish and get on with the learning. These are the teachers that don’t want to teach.
    17. What was the last book(s) you bought? I finally bought the “Undead and…/Betsy Taylor” series by Mary Janice Davidson.
    18. What was the last book you checked out from the library? I hardly ever do, and we have a nice library, I just love to buy a book, it’s my treat to myself. The most recent time was probably to get the most recent (that I’ve read) Dean Koontz, I like to check those sorts of books out of the library.
    19. On average, how many hours a week do you spend reading? That depends on the week, and varies greatly.
    20. Are you a fast or slow reader? Fast, I can’t help it. My parents nearly went broke when I was a kid, because I read so fast. That may partly be why I was “allowed” to read their books, because “my” books could be polished off in minutes.
    21. Do you sometimes read more than one book at the time? I find it difficult. If I do, they have to be books from completely different genres. But I always do have a book, a few magazines, and some sort of non-fiction (usually sports or humor) book going at the same time.
    22. Are you what Stephen King refers to as a Constant Reader, or are there periods where you don't read at all? Constant Reader; grabbing my book and cell phone off the night table when I leave the house is as much of a necessity as brushing my teeth or locking the door.
    23. What's the longest you've gone without reading? I have no idea, can’t be longer than a few days even at my worst when I was working 3 jobs, I’d sneak a bit in somehow…
    24. Why do you read? (This is a tough one, I know) I can’t help myself. I don’t know life without it, I guess.
    Could does not mean should

So glad to see this thread is still alive and well! I've enjoyed reading all your answers; it is my firm belief that you can learn a lot about a person from their reading habits. I feel like I know each and every one of you a little bit better now. Keep 'em coming!

VeronicaBelle, I literally finished Until the Real Thing Comes Along last night and loved it. As my post in the "What are you reading?" thread will tell you, I'm a bit obsessed with Elizabeth Berg at the moment. I love how her novels make me feel, and her characters are so real and lovable. It's so funny that Until the Real Thing Comes Along starts with the main character talking about how much she loves lying in her bathtub, since I read about 90% of the novel in... that's right, my bathtub. Life imitating art, sort of.
    Last edited by geek the girl; 11-29-2006 at 02:53 AM.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

FORT Newbie
    1. How old were you when you learned how to read? 3, I think, older sibling was learning and I picked it up too.
    2. Were you a big reader growing up? yes
    3. Are there any books that left a big impression on you as a kid? Loved everything, but favored books like: The Boxcar Children, Little House books (had to buy a new set after reading them so much) etc.
    4. Favorite genres? (Do you read mainly fiction or non-fiction? Do you have a soft spot for horror, sci-fi, or romance?) I will try anything but really like mystery, crime, and books that make you think, Amish-based and occasionally romance.
    5. Top 5 favorite authors. James Patterson, Jodi Piccoult, Tami Hoag, Beverly Lewis and Wanda Brunstretter.
    6. Top 5 favorite books. No favorite books, but love the series of: Harry Potter, Alex Cross by James Patterson, Women’s Murder Club by James Patterson
    7. Where do you prefer to read? Anywhere that I can get comfortable
    8. Do you like to eat or drink something while you read? If so, what are your foods and beverages of choice? If I do it is Dr. Pepper and potato chips
    9. What do you typically wear when you read? (I swear, I don't mean this in a dirty way. My mind is a pure as the first snow of the year - before it gets contaminated by dog poo and engine exhaust, that is. ) Casual wear? Pyjamas? Jeans? Something more elaborate and stylish? Comfy clothes or pajamas.
    10. On average, how many books do you read a month? 6+
    11. How do you get hold of the books? Do you buy them at a bookstore, visit an online store, borrow from a friend or family member, or do you use the library? Yes, except the borrowing.
    12. Paperback or hardcover? Paperback, if I can wait that long for it.
    13. At what point do you give up on a book? If I don’t like it by chapter 5
    14. How do you find about new books and authors? (Aside from the FORT, that is.) for new books, I keep lists of what my favorite authors release dates are. For new authors I browse the book store or recommendations from friends.
    15. Best reading-related memory? Gaining knowledge.
    16. Worst reading-related memory? Not sure I have one.
    17. What was the last book(s) you bought? Cross by James Patterson, and 2 by Jodi Piccoult.
    18. What was the last book you checked out from the library? 4 John Grishom books, that I never got into
    19. On average, how many hours a week do you spend reading? Between 5 and 10
    20. Are you a fast or slow reader? Medium to fast
    21. Do you sometimes read more than one book at the time? Always, have read up to 4 at a time.
    22. Are you what Stephen King refers to as a Constant Reader, or are there periods where you don't read at all? Definitely a constant reader.
    23. What's the longest you've gone without reading? Day or two.
    24. Why do you read? (This is a tough one, I know) to relax, for the enjoyment, to learn, to escape reality.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast