+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Questionnaire about reading habits

Lots of good answers here! Thanks for taking the time to answer my wee little survey. I can relate to almost everything you've written. Funny how the experience of reading, while essentially an intensly private act, can be so universal. I'm learning loads about my fellow FORTers this way. For instance, swingkat, I had no idea you live in Sweden! Yet another thing we have in common, apart from being Isabel Allende fans. The House of the Spirits is one of my favourite books of all time - it almost made it to my Top 5 and is definitely on my Top 10 list. I first read it as a teenager right before the movie came out and then again last fall. It was just as great as I remembered it. Unfortunately, the rest of her work doesn't live up to the high standard she set with her debut novel. That doesn't mean that her other novels aren't worth reading, because they are. She has yet to write something that outdoes The House of the Spirits, though.

Regarding Små citroner gula: I read it last year, along with a couple of million other Swedish citizens, and was rather unimpressed. I'm a fan of chick lit and all for light reading every once in a while, but I found the language flat and the characters a bit cardboard-like. Of course, that didn't stop Kajsa Ingemarsson from selling more copies than The DaVinci Code last year, which says a lot. Despite its lackings in the literary department, I'd say it's a good pick if you want to read something pleasant and light and learn something about Swedish customs in the meantime. Let me know how you like it, and feel free to PM me any time if you need any pointers about your new home country, regarding books or anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by AJane View Post

And where are your answers, geek?
    Hint: Look further up the page. You didn't think I'd go through the trouble of creating a questionnaire I didn't want to answer myself, did you?
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Thanks for the offer Geek the Girl, I'll take you up on it . I'll let you know about Små Citroner Gula also ( fast min svenska inte är så avancerad så det kommer nog att dröja en stund ).

Ohh, I can't resist a questionnaire, especially about one of my favorite hobbies!

1. How old were you when you learned how to read? I don't know, I knew how to read when I started school (first grade, there was no kindergarten in my area in the early '60's.) My mother says I taught myself by looking at books and memorizing the words as she was reading to me.

2. Were you a big reader growing up? Oh yes. I lived in the country and there wasn't much else to do in the evenings.

3. Are there any books that left a big impression on you as a kid? The Wizard of Oz and A Tree Grows in Brooklyn were two that left a big impression. Also To Kill a Mockingbird and The Human Comedy.

4. Favourite genres? (Do you read mainly fiction or non-fiction? Do you have a soft spot for horror, sci-fi, or romance?) Mostly fiction. I've gone through phases where I've binged on true crime and chick lit, but I always return to mysteries and science fiction.

5. Top 5 favourite authors. Orson Scott Card, Stephen King, Dean Koontz, J. A. Jance, Joan Hess and many more.

6. Top 5 favourite books. It's tough to name a top five. Certainly The Stand would probably be in my top five.

7. Where do you prefer to read? In bed.

8. Do you like to eat or drink something while you read? If so, what are your foods and beverages of choice? Popcorn or peanut M&M's, although I've sworn off candy.

9. What do you typically wear when you read? (I swear, I don't mean this in a dirty way. My mind is a pure as the first snow of the year - before it gets contaminated by dog poo and engine exhaust, that is. ) Casual wear? Pyjamas? Jeans? Something more elaborate and stylish? Since I read in bed I guess it would be a nightgown.

10. On average, how many books do you read a month? Not as many here lately as I've been too busy, but I like to read at least a couple of books a week.

11. How do you get hold of the books? Do you buy them at a bookstore, visit an online store, borrow from a friend or family member, or do you use the library? Library, bookclubs and buying online and at bookstores.

12. Paperback or hardcover? I'm not snobbish about either; I buy hardcovers from bookclubs and of my favorite authors because I don't want to wait for the paperback editions, but I also buy paperbacks, both new and used.

13. At what point do you give up on a book? I hardly ever give up. Usually I tell myself that there's something the author wants to say and I try to find the meaning as a way to keep myself interested.

14. How do you find about new books and authors? (Aside from the FORT, that is.) Book reviews, word of mouth, bookclubs.

15. Best reading-related memory? Reading to my kids when they were little.

16. Worst reading-related memory? I don't really think I have one.

17. What was the last book(s) you bought? How Not to Live Abroad - Shaun Briley, Love Monkey - Kyle Smith, Delectable Mountains - Earlene Fowler, Out on a Limb - Joan Hess, Blue Shoes and Happiness - Alexander McCall Smith, Treasure Box and Folk of the Fringe - Orson Scott Card, and Dark Torte by Diane Mott Davidson - all last weekend because I got a gift certificate for Mother's Day.

18. What was the last book you checked out from the library? I don't remember the name - it was a western.

19. On average, how many hours a week do you spend reading? Probably 15 or 20.

20. Are you a fast or slow reader? Fast.

21. Do you sometimes read more than one book at the time? I try not to.

22. Are you what Stephen King refers to as a Constant Reader, or are there periods where you don't read at all? Definitely a constant reader.

23. What's the longest you've gone without reading? I can't remember a time when I haven't read for awhile each day. Even when I'm in the hospital or I'm working long hours.

24. Why do you read? (This is a tough one, I know) To relax, as an escape, for enjoyment and to feel a connection to others.
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

I like this survey because it made me evaluate my reading habits. Thanks for asking!

1. How old were you when you learned how to read?

4 years old. My four older sisters and I all had the chicken pox. Since my oldest sister was bored, she decided to teach me to read The Cat in the Hat

2. Were you a big reader growing up?

Absolutely. I would read by the light under the door after my parents sent me to bed.

3. Are there any books that left a big impression on you as a kid?

Lord of the Rings. My second oldest sister read it to me when I was about 7, and I have reread it at least once a year since.

4. Favourite genres? (Do you read mainly fiction or non-fiction? Do you have a soft spot for horror, sci-fi, or romance?)

Fiction, with a heavy dose of mystery and a splash of fantasy.

5. Top 5 favourite authors.

It's so hard to limit myself to 5. As someone else mentioned, this list changes depending on when you ask me.

Jane Austen
    Joan Aiken (children's lit)
    Alistair McLeod
    Lindsey Davis
    Kazuo Ishiguro

6. Top 5 favourite books.

I find this so hard...

Emma by Jane Austen
    The Mill on the Floss by George Eliot
    Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien
    To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee
    Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro

7. Where do you prefer to read?

On the far left side of our couch

8. Do you like to eat or drink something while you read? If so, what are your foods and beverages of choice?

Always a cup of tea, sometimes followed by a glass of red wine.

9. What do you typically wear when you read? (I swear, I don't mean this in a dirty way. My mind is a pure as the first snow of the year - before it gets contaminated by dog poo and engine exhaust, that is. ) Casual wear? Pyjamas? Jeans? Something more elaborate and stylish?

Whatever I've been wearing all day. Usually comfy pants and a t-shirt.

10. On average, how many books do you read a month?

About 10 or 11. (I'm on a year of maternity leave, so I read whenever my baby is sleeping which accounts for the high volume.)

11. How do you get hold of the books? Do you buy them at a bookstore, visit an online store, borrow from a friend or family member, or do you use the library?

Almost always from the library.

12. Paperback or hardcover?

Either/or.

13. At what point do you give up on a book?

Never. No matter how bad it is, I always finish it (though that doesn't mean I read every word or even every page).

14. How do you find about new books and authors? (Aside from the FORT, that is.)

From friends, my parents, the display shelves at the library, book reviews, on-line book clubs, my real-life book club.

15. Best reading-related memory?

My sister reading books aloud to me until she was done university. And reading aloud to my husband as we drove out east for our honeymoon.

16. Worst reading-related memory?

I don't think I have one...

17. What was the last book(s) you bought?

Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke (so very good!).

18. What was the last book you checked out from the library?

Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron

19. On average, how many hours a week do you spend reading?

About 15, I think.

20. Are you a fast or slow reader?

Generally fast.

21. Do you sometimes read more than one book at the time?

Always. I usually have at least 3 or 4 books on the go.

22. Are you what Stephen King refers to as a Constant Reader, or are there periods where you don't read at all?

As constant as they come.

23. What's the longest you've gone without reading?

Maybe 12 to 15 hours (seriously).

24. Why do you read? (This is a tough one, I know)

In To Kill A Mockingbird when Scout is getting in trouble on the first day of school for knowing how to read, she makes a comment about reading being like breathing to her. (I'd look up the quote for you, but I'm too lazy right now.) In the same way, I can't NOT read.

Maybe it is a bit of avoidance too because when I'm most stressed out and busy, I read more.

But most of all, it is for the pure joy of it.

Thanks for reading this!

FORT Fogey
    no idea
    yes
    I'd have to say the Sweet Valley High books - not that they were the best books I ever read, but because I became obsessed with reading all of them, and being at the bookstore to get the next one the day it came out.

4. Favourite genres? (Do you read mainly fiction or non-fiction? Do you have a soft spot for horror, sci-fi, or romance?)
    I love all sorts of books, but probably read more political non-fiction than anything else.

Hard to narrow it down to five
    To Kill a Mockingbird, The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime, Where the Red Fern Grows, Harold and the Purple Crayon, A Long Way Down
    Outside in a chair next to a glass of lemonade
    8. Do you like to eat or drink something while you read? If so, what are your foods and beverages of choice?
    lemonade!

9. What do you typically wear when you read? (I swear, I don't mean this in a dirty way. My mind is a pure as the first snow of the year - before it gets contaminated by dog poo and engine exhaust, that is. ) Casual wear? Pyjamas? Jeans? Something more elaborate and stylish?
    Whatever I have on
    In the Summer, 2 or 3. In the Winter, 1.
    11. How do you get hold of the books? Do you buy them at a bookstore, visit an online store, borrow from a friend or family member, or do you use the library?
    I keep saying I'm going to get a library card, but I buy most of them in a bookstore
    I'm usually too impatient to wait for paperback, so hardcover.
    If I get another one I'm dying to read
    14. How do you find about new books and authors? (Aside from the FORT, that is.)
    Browsing in the bookstore, TV shows.
    My fifth grade teacher, Mrs Hartman. The only homework she ever gave us was reading for 30 minutes each night. We had silent reading time in class, and she'd check on what page number we were on, and discuss each book with us when we finished one. She LOVED children's literature, and was determined to pass that love on to as many students as she could. It worked for me.
    Having to read Tess of the D'Urbervilles in 11th grade. I HATED that book!
    Women Who Make the World Worse by Kate O'Bierne
    Hmm ... I'm thinking it was probably when i was in college, but I have no idea.
    It varies week to week - definitely more in the Summer.
    Average
    I've tried on occasion, but I don't do it well.
    22. Are you what Stephen King refers to as a Constant Reader, or are there periods where you don't read at all?
    I strive to be a constant reader, but I don't honestly think I accomplish that.
    Don't know.
    Because the characters that I "cast" in my mind are always much better than any casting director could do for movies or tv shows!
    Last edited by Veruka; 05-23-2006 at 09:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl View Post
    Hint: Look further up the page. You didn't think I'd go through the trouble of creating a questionnaire I didn't want to answer myself, did you?
    Whoops. But I didn't say I was a careful reader.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

1. How old were you when you learned how to read? 5
    2. Were you a big reader growing up? not so much
    3. Are there any books that left a big impression on you as a kid? Charlotte's Web, To Kill a Mockingbird
    4. Favourite genres? (Do you read mainly fiction or non-fiction? Do you have a soft spot for horror, sci-fi, or romance?) Mainly fiction, romance, I like a good story! I love mysteries- especially courtroom stuff like Perri O'Shaugnessy.
    5. Top 5 favourite authors. Nora Roberts, JD Robb, (they are the same person I know!) Jennifer Cruise, Perri O'Shaugnessy, William Bernhardt
    7. Where do you prefer to read? In bed
    8. Do you like to eat or drink something while you read? If so, what are your foods and beverages of choice? some really cold Iced Tea
    9. What do you typically wear when you read? (I swear, I don't mean this in a dirty way. My mind is a pure as the first snow of the year - before it gets contaminated by dog poo and engine exhaust, that is. ) Casual wear? Pyjamas? Jeans? Something more elaborate and stylish? pj's
    10. On average, how many books do you read a month? 5 - 6
    11. How do you get hold of the books? Do you buy them at a bookstore, visit an online store, borrow from a friend or family member, or do you use the library? all of the above
    12. Paperback or hardcover? paperback unless hardcover is onsale or free
    13. At what point do you give up on a book? I usually don't
    14. How do you find about new books and authors? (Aside from the FORT, that is.) the clerk at the used book store
    15. Best reading-related memory? nothing comes to mind.
    16. Worst reading-related memory? Charlotte's Web - Charlotte died!! I was only 10!
    17. What was the last book(s) you bought? The Da Vinci Code
    18. What was the last book you checked out from the library? Origin in death
    19. On average, how many hours a week do you spend reading? 14 at least
    20. Are you a fast or slow reader? pretty quick I guess
    21. Do you sometimes read more than one book at the time? yes
    22. Are you what Stephen King refers to as a Constant Reader, or are there periods where you don't read at all? I have my off times - like when I had a newborn
    23. What's the longest you've gone without reading? 4 months
    24. Why do you read? (This is a tough one, I know) to escape, to enjoy, to become enthralled and enlightened.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

1. How old were you when you learned how to read? 5
    2. Were you a big reader growing up? I always had my nose stuck in a book if I wasn't playing
    3. Are there any books that left a big impression on you as a kid? A Wrinkle In Time, Little Women and the sequels, Black Like Me, Farewell to Manzinar, and The Diary of Anne Frank.
    4. Favourite genres? (Do you read mainly fiction or non-fiction? Do you have a soft spot for horror, sci-fi, or romance?) Other than for work mostly fiction although I like a good biography. Mysteries/Thrillers are my favorites although I'll read a well written romance or something serious on occassion.
    5. Top 5 favourite authors. Elizabeth George, Lisa Scottoline, Stephen White, Jane Austen, and Jonathan Kellerman
    7. Where do you prefer to read? On my deck or in my big comfy chair
    8. Do you like to eat or drink something while you read? If so, what are your foods and beverages of choice? Yes, and coffee, Diet Coke, or beer depending
    9. What do you typically wear when you read? (I swear, I don't mean this in a dirty way. My mind is a pure as the first snow of the year - before it gets contaminated by dog poo and engine exhaust, that is. ) Casual wear? Pyjamas? Jeans? Something more elaborate and stylish? Shorts or my ancient, decaying, comfy sweatpants and a t-shirt
    10. On average, how many books do you read a month? Now? 2 or 3. It used to be 6 or 7.
    11. How do you get hold of the books? Do you buy them at a bookstore, visit an online store, borrow from a friend or family member, or do you use the library? All of the above except the library although I spent hours at the library as a kid. I'm too impatient now to wait to check things out.
    12. Paperback or hardcover? Either
    13. At what point do you give up on a book? After the first 50 pages if I'm still not interested.
    14. How do you find about new books and authors? (Aside from the FORT, that is.) Family and friends.
    15. Best reading-related memory? Discovering just how many Agatha Christie books there were and my dad reading Encyclopedia Brown books outloud to us in the car on family roadtrips.
    16. Worst reading-related memory? I don't know if worst is the right word. The hardest book for me to read was Refuge by Terry Tempest Williams.
    17. What was the last book(s) you bought? I'm not sure. I bought a bunch at once.
    18. What was the last book you checked out from the library? It was something from a Law Library so you don't want to know.
    19. On average, how many hours a week do you spend reading? If you include work related reading probably 35.
    20. Are you a fast or slow reader? Slowish although I'd say deliberate. I tend to absorb things. I read a mystery at the same pace I read the tax code.
    21. Do you sometimes read more than one book at the time? Almost never.
    22. Are you what Stephen King refers to as a Constant Reader, or are there periods where you don't read at all? Definitely a Constant Reader.
    23. What's the longest you've gone without reading? for fun? a few weeks
    24. Why do you read? (This is a tough one, I know) to learn and to escape.
    Last edited by Mariner; 05-23-2006 at 09:47 PM.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

My Turn

Here are my answers...

I think I was around 3 or 4. My Mom started reading to me when I was only a couple of months old and I always loved it. She said I used to drag all my favorite books into the living room anytime we had company so they could read to me. One day she heard me reading to my little sister in our room. When she went in to check on us, I wasn't reading one of our books from memory, but one we had picked up at the library.

Oh yes. We didn't have a TV in our house until I was 10 or 11, and even then I wasn't interested. I would sit on the couch with a book while everyone else watched TV.

I remember being very conflicted by Charlotte's Web because of my horrible fear of spiders. To this day I am still afraid of spiders, but I won't kill them. I just make my husband take them outside before I have a heart attack.

4. Favorite genres?
    I've always loved fiction. I'm started to be interested in some non-fiction, and I love to read cookbooks.

5. Top 5 favorite authors.
    Steven King, William Faulker, John Steinbeck, Amy Tan, CS Lewis, Bodie Thoene...

6. Top 5 favorite books.
    My five biggest repeat reads are...
    To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
    Light in August by William Faulkner
    The Kitchen God's Wife by Amy Tan
    Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton (In my defence, I read this long before it became a movie and for some reason is the book I turn to when I don't know what I want to read.)
    Nightmares and Dreamscapes a collection of Steven King's short stories

Usually in bed, but sometimes outside on the patio.

I usually don't eat or drink anything as I read before I go to sleep. I do really like sweet tea.

9. What do you typically wear when you read?
    tee-shirt and shorts or sweat pants

8 to 10 depending on the book. Sometimes only 1 if I'm really busy.

For years I would get lots of books for Christmas, but for some reason that's tapered off a bit. I get most of my books now from the library.

Both. Depends on what's in at the library.

I think I've only done this a couple of times. Usually I'll finish them, but I can usually tell in the first 50 pages if I'll really like it.

From friends, or just wandering around in the library.

When I was 9 years old my family moved from a very small town (pop. 500) to the big "city" (pop. 7,000) and I was not happy about moving away from my Grandma and all our friends. To add insult to injury, I was expected to walk the five blocks home from school each day. Imagine my joy when I realized that I would be going to school right next door to the County Library. The first week we moved there, Mom took me in to get my very own library card and each day after school I would climb those neon white limestone steps and check out the book I would read that night. I felt so grown up and special having my own card and was very careful to take back my book each morning.

I was about 12 and I was reading White Fang by Jack London one rainy night and around 1:30 in the morning I got to the part where the man is surrounded by the wolves and he's trying to keep the fire going so they don't come and eat him and right about the time the first wolf jumps in there to kill one of the dogs my neighbor's dog got spooked by the rain and started to howl. The sudden sound effects scared me so bad I screamed and woke up everyone in the house! Oh, did I ever get in trouble!

Giada's Family Dinners by Giada De Laurentiis...it's a cookbook

Garlic and Sapphires...the Secret Life of a Critic in Disguise by Ruth Reichel (this was vvg...I read it in one night. Her other books...Tender at the Bone and Comfort me with Apples are some of the best memoirs I've ever read)
    A Death in Belmont by Sebastian Junger
    The Colony by John Tayman
    Cell: a novel by Steven King

At least 14...sometimes up to 30 if I have a really good book

Fast. Most books I can finish in one night.

Sometimes...but usually only if I really don't like a book...then I'll read something else before I finish it

Up until College I was, but when I had to add all that extra reading by fun reading slowed down a bit. I'm getting back up to speed now that my husband and I have moved to a bigger city and we have access to such a good library.

I didn't read anything when my Mom was sick and for about 4 months after she died...so almost a year

It's a good way to escape. I find myself caring more about character's in a book then in a movie or on TV...it's a much more intimate relationship.

. How old were you when you learned how to read?

Does Fun With Dick and Jane count? Then six

Yes

The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe, and later Valley of The Dolls.

Fiction

Alice Munroe, Gore Vidal, Jane Austen, Margaret Atwood, David Sedaris

Pride and Prejudice, Gone With the Wind ( but I'm in the closet about that one ), Middlesex, The Blind Assasin, She's Come Undone

On The Couch

Nothing that would smear the pages, like chocolate.

Sweats

Maybe 1 every two months, just depends

11. How do you get hold of the books? Do you buy them at a bookstore, visit an online store, borrow from a friend or family member, or do you use the library
    Buy, but recently I found a great used bookstore in VAncouver near where I live.

Depends how badly I want to read it. But I like those large paperbacks the best. Easy to handle.

Rarely, but it happens. I keep hoping it will get better.

The Fort has been a great source, but sometimes, I'll just pick up a book, read the first page, and if it grabs me, I'll buy it.

I have one, but I can't tell you.

Probably goes hand in hand with my best memory.

The Historian

Probably a big coffee table book on St. Petersburg.

All over the map.

Fast

Rarely.

There are times when I don't read at all

Don't know

I get to be the director.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast