+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What book by one of your favorite authors did you HATE?

FORT Newbie

What book by one of your favorite authors did you HATE?

You know the ones...the ones that someone good wrote but you hated the book but wouldn't give up on it?....Mine was by Anne Rivers Siddons....Fox's Earth......I normally love her writing but every time i picked that book up i wanted to scream. However, must be a masochist because i wouldn't stop reading it. When I start one, I have to finish it. OMG that book drove me crazy. Felt like I had stepped into a VC Andrews novel.

I was disappointed in McMurtry's Berrybender series overall. I liked the first book really well, but thought the last three fell a little flat. I think it would have been better had he just written one novel instead of breaking it up into four books. I didn't feel he was able to bring the usual richness of his characters out in those books. I had high hopes after the first book, but ended up disappointed, as I said earlier.

I read Fox's Earth also, and didn't care for it. I loved Siddons' Peachtree Road and several others she wrote.

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by jvestal23 View Post
    You know the ones...the ones that someone good wrote but you hated the book but wouldn't give up on it?....Mine was by Anne Rivers Siddons....Fox's Earth......I normally love her writing but every time i picked that book up i wanted to scream. However, must be a masochist because i wouldn't stop reading it. When I start one, I have to finish it. OMG that book drove me crazy. Felt like I had stepped into a VC Andrews novel.

Funny you mention that one. I normally love her and I HATED Fox's Earth.

The Lake House and The Beach House by James Patterson. I loved his Alex Cross novels and these books were just too strange for words.

And there was a Stuart Woods I hated. It was like he phoned it in. I can't remember which one, but it was bad. It's been in the last couple of years that it came out. It was so bad, I forgot the title!
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I've been a Patricia Cornwell fan for over a decade, but I HATED Blow Fly and wasn't too crazy about its two followers, Trace and Predator, either. I think it's the change of perspective - from first person to third - that bugs me. Scarpetta just seems phony, stuck-up and righteous to me know, whereas when I was inside her head (so to speak), I could put up with her. I keep hoping that the next Scarpetta mystery will be a return to the glory days, but she keeps disappointing me. Unless she improves, I'll stop buying the hardcover and wait for the paperback instead.

"Hate" is such a strong word, but Donna Tartt's sophomore effort, The Little Friend was a huge disappointment. Her first novel, The Secret History, is one of my all-time faves, and although The Little Friend was very well-written, it wasn't a patch on its predecessor. Having said that, if I were to be told that she's written a new book, I'd jump and scream and run to the book store straight away. I'm pretty loyal that way.

Obviously, Stephen King has written some less than stellar works, too. Pretty much everything he published in the 90's, Desperation, Insomnia, and - above all - Bag of Bones being notable exceptions, bored the crap out of me. It's not that I didn't appreciate him expressing feminist views in Rose Madder, Dolores Claiborne, and Gerald's Game - on the contrary, I applaud him for it - but he didn't manage to hold my interest. He's redeemed himself since then, though: in recent years, I've particularly enjoyed his short story collection Everything Is Eventual, and I have high hopes for his soon to be published novel Lisey's Story, too.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

MRD
    I felt the same way about Patricia Cornwall's books and I quit reading them a few years ago. Too angst ridden and full of overly dramatic self examination. Bring back the mysteries as they were: entertaining. I got so tired of all the drama in her life and her neices that it overshadowed the storylines of the mysteries.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

FORT Newbie
    yep, i totally agree about cornwell...and King...I also enjoyed bag of bones and everything's eventual...but good lord, those others you mentioned were more like a waste of time. I was addicted to Cornwell for awhile...and the past few haven't been so great. I also forgot to mention John Irving's The Fourth Hand....now i didn't hate it, but was disappointed big time. I love his work so much, his characters are so quirky and different and real, but I wasn't feeling anyone in that book. However, his latest, Until I Find You, was really good. I read it in two days, talk about child neglect...........:

You read Until I Find You in two days, jvestal23? Isn't it over 900 pages long? This definitely means I should buy it, then? Like you, I love John Irving but between the lukewarm reviews and the sheer weight of Until I Find You (how do you read it and stay comfortable at the same time? My best bet is to sit up in bed with loads of pillows behind you), I've forgotten all about it. I'll probably wait for the paperback, though: my lack of muscle tone is alarming. Maybe I should join some sort of "workout for book worms" programme.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Huh. Apparently I'm the only person on the planet who loved Foxes Earth. I've actually read about it six times (and I hate, hate, hate VC Andrews - the Danielle Steele of horror).

I liked Patricia Cornwell well enough until I read the book she got whimsical/humourous with. I can't remember what it's called, but while forcing myself through it I thought "this woman may actually be insane". And then all that nonsense about her theories on Jack the Ripper came and and it was pretty much confirmed - yep, she's nuts.

I love Ruth Rendell, writing both under her own name and under the name Barbara Vine, but for some reason, Live Flesh was just intolerable to me. Funnily enough, it was the first book of hers I read and I thought that it was one of the most boring things I had ever read, so I didn't get into the rest for her work for a few years. Once I did I was hooked. I just reread Live Flesh last year having completely forgotten the name of the book I found so tedious, and yep, I find it tedious still.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Here's your sign JAFO'S PRINCESS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl View Post

Obviously, Stephen King has written some less than stellar works, too. Pretty much everything he published in the 90's, Desperation, Insomnia, and - above all - Bag of Bones being notable exceptions, bored the crap out of me. It's not that I didn't appreciate him expressing feminist views in Rose Madder, Dolores Claiborne, and Gerald's Game - on the contrary, I applaud him for it - but he didn't manage to hold my interest. He's redeemed himself since then, though: in recent years, I've particularly enjoyed his short story collection Everything Is Eventual, and I have high hopes for his soon to be published novel Lisey's Story, too.

Weird cause I liked Gerald's game, Rose MAdder, Desperation, The sequel to Desperation, Needful things, It, Cujo, Pet Semetary, The eyes of THe Dragon, Everything is Eventual...The list goes on and on. I hated what I read of The Stand, Insomnia, That stupid car book (not Christine, loved that!) but most of his latest work I have thought totally sucked. I came into this thread to gripe on him. I guess differant strokes, huh?
    I might as well work. I'm in a bad mood anyway.
    "I like to base my help on how happy you expect to be." Dogbert's tech support.

FORT Newbie
    I'm also a fan of King's, but without a doubt Dreamcatcher was horrible. I kept reading it, expecting it to get better.

I guess one gets spoiled and expects every book to be a winner.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast