+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Book Club (March 2006)

Book Club (March 2006)

I know, I know, it's only mid-February and we still have a couple of weeks left for those of you who want to read and discuss Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant by the fabulous Anne Tyler, but I thought we should have a thread where we can nominate future book club picks. Feel free to nominate authors and books from all genres, fields, and parts of the world!

First of all: What should we do with The Year of Magical Thinking? It should be out in paperback soon, and I'm hoping that it will be more available at libraries once the buzz fizzles out a bit. So, the question is, do we wait until it's out in paperback so that as many FORTers as possible get a chance to read it?

Right. Fire away, and remember that the FORT Book Club doesn't discriminate against any type of books.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Here's your sign JAFO'S PRINCESS's Avatar
    I am stoked about being part of a book club but am too late for the Feb. selection. What do yall thin of White Oleander??? Or have you read it already?
    I might as well work. I'm in a bad mood anyway.
    "I like to base my help on how happy you expect to be." Dogbert's tech support.

My favorite author is Annie Proulx. Either POSTCARDS or THE SHIPPING NEWS would be good reads. And since Annie is so "hot" with her short story being BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN, I feel that reading something from her would be topical.

Here's a wee bio about her: "Although she didn't start her career as a writer until she was in her 50s, in 1993 E. Annie Proulx became the first woman to win the prestigious PEN/Faulkner book award, for her debut novel Postcards. The following year she won a Pulitzer Prize and the National Book Award for her novel The Shipping News. She is also the author of Accordion Crimes (1996) and several short stories.

Extra credit: Proulx's name is pronounced proo... Her 1997 short story "Brokeback Mountain" was made into a 2005 film starring Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal. " Yeah, over 50 women!!!

I have no feelings, either way about MAGICAL THINKING. I'll go along with the group vote.
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Lambi, Annie Proulx is a wonderful writer. I'd be happy to read anything by here - so far, I've only read Close Range: Wyoming Stories, which includes the wonderful, touching short story "Brokeback Mountain" that was recently made into a small, tragically overlooked movie I doubt anyone here has seen.

White Oleander is a great book, JAFO'S PRINCESS. How come Janet Fitch hasn't written another one?

Great suggestions, both of you. Keep 'em coming!
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Would yu be open to some Anne Rule? She writes true crime but it reads more like a novel. She wrote a truly creepy one about Ted Bundy. He was an aquaintance of hers and she spoke with him durning his uh, troubles. I enjoy her writing style and think she picks good subjeects without sensationalizing it....but others might not be into that sort of read. I am at a loss. I don't get out much. Most of my reads come from yard sales.

I have Shipping news but have never read it yet. So I all for it. I would love to read Magical thinking, but would like to wait for the paperback.

I will try anything just let me know what you decide on.

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl View Post
    Lambi, Annie Proulx is a wonderful writer. I'd be happy to read anything by here - so far, I've only read Close Range: Wyoming Stories, which includes the wonderful, touching short story "Brokeback Mountain" that was recently made into a small, tragically overlooked movie I doubt anyone here has seen.

White Oleander is a great book, JAFO'S PRINCESS. How come Janet Fitch hasn't written another one?

Great suggestions, both of you. Keep 'em coming!
    Really? I've never heard of it. I doubt that it will ever make it to the big screen; it will probably go direct-to-video.....NOT!

I read WHITE OLEANDER when it first came out and it was a fine read. I still have the book so that means no purchase and no library!

Proulx's books are very thin: POSTCARDS is only 3/4's of an inch. So, they may be too small (too fast a read) for the book club.

Here's two more suggestions:
    1) What about a classic, like UNCLE TOM'S CABIN? This book was so inflammatory, in it's day, that it's often credited with being the "spark" that ignited the Civil War. I found that most people haven't read it, just heard it as the butt of jokes.

2) Maybe too mainstream, but THE DA VINCI CODE is coming out in theatres in May. That is a big book and certainly available in paperback and libraries now. But again, maybe our goal, HERE, is to read less mainstream books that have been over-looked. Oops, that would preclude OLEANDER, which Michele Pfeiffer starred in, back in 2002.
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

I have read few pages of White Oleander but don't want to repeat a book. Will visit tiny, loca redneck library this weekend for thoughts.

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by JAFO'S PRINCESS View Post
    Would yu be open to some Anne Rule? She writes true crime but it reads more like a novel. She wrote a truly creepy one about Ted Bundy. He was an aquaintance of hers and she spoke with him durning his uh, troubles. I enjoy her writing style and think she picks good subjeects without sensationalizing it....but others might not be into that sort of read. I am at a loss. I don't get out much. Most of my reads come from yard sales.
    She's good. I read Every Breath you take as that murder took place in the county I live in and was a HUGE deal on our news for months and years. About the mother of quadruplets that was killed and the toddlers were left alone all day with the mothers body until the older daughter got home from school.
    It was a very good book and a real eye opener about controlling men. Vary sad situation tho for that family.

I have not read the Ted Bundy one.

I am having surgery in March and will be gone for 2 weeks as I have to stay in a hotel after hospital release for several days (the surgery is taking place 2 hours from where I live and the dr. wants me close by for 10 days after I am released from hospital) so I won't have computer access. Plus I have stockpiled a mountain of books, so I won't be able to participate in the March read as I will be a reading marathon by myself.

Any other good paperback suggestions out there? I like murder mysteries, legal thrillers. Anything but sci-fi and romance. But I do like chick lit and I have read some sci-fi I liked.
    I'm planning on holing up in this hotel room for the 2 weeks and doing nothing but reading while I recover.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast