+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Book Club (March 2006)

Here's your sign JAFO'S PRINCESS's Avatar
    Oh good cause that was what was bothering me. It seemed like there ws so much more just waiting to happen. As the book went further.....I will have to get that this weekend. Another 3 hour trip into the bookstore Jafo will be thrilled! Thanks!

ETA: What's the book for April????
    I might as well work. I'm in a bad mood anyway.
    "I like to base my help on how happy you expect to be." Dogbert's tech support.

Jafo, here's a chronologically accurate list of all the Russell/Holmes mystery novels available. Might come in handy for that trip to the bookstore!

The Beekeeper's Apprentice
    (1994)
    A Monstrous Regiment of Women
    (1995)
    (Nero Award Winner)
    A Letter of Mary
    (1997)
    The Moor (if you've read The Hound of the Baskerville, this is a must!)
    (1998)
    O Jerusalem
    (1999)
    Justice Hall
    (2002)
    The Game
    (2004)
    Locked Rooms
    (2005)

Like I mentioned earlier, Laurie R. King is also the author of the award-winning and critically acclaimed Kate Martinelli series. The first novel of the series, A Grave Talent, won the prestigious Edgar Award back in the 90's. A great, original mystery novel with an unorthodox and likeable heroine. Check it out!

(What with my endless promoting, you'd think I'd been hired by Laurie R. King herself! )

As for the April pick, I have absolutely no idea. Any suggestions? I'll be up to my ears in essay writing and school work, so I just might have to step down next month. We'll see.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Ack. Hmmmm. I am currently flying through (3-500 pages a week is considered flying?) Guardian by John Saul. So I will have to see. When I go to the book store I might find something irresistable. Maybe Phroshay could do April's. I am so tickled with The Beekeeper's Apprentice I am willing to try anything yall pick. I am glad I decided to be part of the book club because otherwise I would've missed out on a great author. Thanks Geek The Girl!

I made a post on a suggestion for April's Book Club selection.

I won't be offended if no one else wants to read it. I'm just hoping to atleast be able to participate in this book club

Yay! Finally got my hands on a copy of the book.

I'm not far into the book, but I am finding that I'm having a hard time identifying with Mary Russell as a character and as a woman. Could this be because she has yet to understand or grasp her own strength of character?

Since I haven't read any of the original Holmes stories, I'm a little ambivalent towards him so far.

But I am looking forward to reading more and can't wait to see how the story unfolds.

Quote Originally Posted by owlie View Post
    I'm not far into the book, but I am finding that I'm having a hard time identifying with Mary Russell as a character and as a woman. Could this be because she has yet to understand or grasp her own strength of character?

Since I haven't read any of the original Holmes stories, I'm a little ambivalent towards him so far.

But I am looking forward to reading more and can't wait to see how the story unfolds.
    I felt the same way when I started the book but if you hang in there that feeling should pass. I was unsure at first (hating Holmes and lukewarm to Mary) but by the time I got to the middle I coudn't put it down. Hang in there.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345