+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Book Club (February 2006)

Book Club (February 2006)

Geek the Girl and I are eager to read and discuss Joan Didion's The Year of Magical Thinking. Anyone else?
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by phat32 View Post
    Geek the Girl and I are eager to read and discuss Joan Didion's The Year of Magical Thinking. Anyone else?
    I will see if I can check it out of the library tomorrow.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

Coolness! I read it over the holidays and would love to re-read it and share my thoughts with you guys.

If The Year of Magical Thinking should prove to be difficult to get ahold of for many FoRTers, AJane and I would like to nominate Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant by Anne Tyler as another possible book club selection. Anne Tyler is arguably one of the (if not THE) finest American storytellers of today, and all of her books are available in paperback. Having said that, it would be wonderful if enough people could get a copy of The Year of Magical Thinking; it really is a sad, profound, and fulfilling read. But let's keep Anne Tyler in mind for future picks, shall we?
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

If the Book Club is still open to new comers, I'd like to join! I don't care which book is picked, I just want to read something out of my comfort zone. Whatever you choose, I'll read. Just tell me what, where and when!

P.S. Why would the book, The Year of Magical Thinking, be difficult to find? I have access to Barnes & Noble and Border's; would they carry the book or is it an independent publisher?
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar
    It's not because it's from an independent publisher, but because some people can't afford/choose not to buy a brand new book, and rely on checking it out from their local library.
    "Among the blind, the squinter rules." ~ Gerard Didier Erasmus

Just FYI~~~
    My library has 6 pending requests for The Year of Magical Thinking. I am on the list now but don't know how long it will be. I checked also for Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant and it's available.

If The Year of Magical Thinking continues to elude a majority of you at the public library and remains unavailable from Braille Library, then I second GtG's nomination of Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant. I don't see how we could go wrong with a book GtG likes.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

Glad to see you back, phat.

I've been on the wait list for several weeks for the Didion book, with no end in sight. So I know I can't get it.

The Tyler book should be easy to get from the library (I have my own copy, though). I'm in for that one, if everyone agrees.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by phat32 View Post
    If The Year of Magical Thinking continues to elude a majority of you at the public library and remains unavailable from Braille Library, then I second GtG's nomination of Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant. I don't see how we could go wrong with a book GtG likes.
    Welcome back Phat Daddy.

Whatever y'all decide on, don't wait for me. I never even received The Man In My Basement.

I ordered Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant (which 'says' it's available) in case it's the book selected.
    "Among the blind, the squinter rules." ~ Gerard Didier Erasmus

Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant is on my "To read" list so that one would be cool with me! I'm sorry I missed out on the last one. I started it but haven't finished since I read all of your spoilers and know the outcome.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast