+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Book Club (February 2006)

After I posted, I logged into my account with my local library, performed a search for the novel and found it available at my nearest library.

I borrowed it on my lunchbreak and am ready to go with Dinner at the Heartsick Restaurant if everyone agrees this is the work we'll discuss for the month of February.

I'll help suggest a reading schedule, as well, if that's copacetic with everyone.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

I'll be bowing out of this one my friends. My library doesn't have the book, Indigo's paperback version is out of stock (I'll keep an eye on that one) and the used book costs more to ship than to buy...

Enjoy the read though. I'll try to join you if something changes.

I actually started reading Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant today so....I'm in!

Is everyone okay with Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant? I just found out that it's available at my local library as well as a nearby bookstore, so I'll all in! I've been binging on Anne Tyler novels recently, and this one comes highly recommended by the fabulous AJane, so I'm positive it will be a wonderful read. As for The Year of Magical Thinking, shouldn't it be out in paperback relatively soon? Let's hope so, and - once again - keep it in mind for future picks.

It would be great if you could propose a reading schedule, phat. If you don't mind, I'd love to be your second-in-command on this one, posting questions to think about and so on. That goes for everyone involved in the book club, by the way: Feel free to post questions, thoughts, theories, and knee-jerk reactions at any given time. The more the merrier. I'll be fairly tied up this month, but I'll make time for this.

I'm off to do some - gasp! - work now, but I'll pass by the library later today and pick up my copy. Can't wait to start reading!
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

I got my copy from the library yesterday so I'm in for Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant!

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl View Post
    It would be great if you could propose a reading schedule, phat.
    I'll look through my copy and come up with something today or tomorrow. I think the last schedule I proposed wasn't "aggressive" enough, but the reason I spread out a shorter novel like TMiMB over a period of three weeks was to avoid finishing it in two weeks and then twiddling our thumbs for the last two weeks of the month.

If you don't mind, I'd love to be your second-in-command on this one, posting questions to think about and so on.
    That'd be perfect...Number One.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

I'm up for Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant! Just tell me when to begin reading and where to stop.
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Quote Originally Posted by Jewelsy View Post
    It's not because it's from an independent publisher, but because some people can't afford/choose not to buy a brand new book, and rely on checking it out from their local library.
    Thanks to YOU, Jewelsy, I found a magnificent local library in Three Oaks, where I live near and have the book. It never occurred to me to use the library; thanks for the suggestion and saving me the money!
    I spent over an hour in the building, which was a corset factory in the 1800's. I've driven past the building for 6 years, never noticing it or venturing inside. You've started a new thing for me, since I haven't been in a library since I was a child and could start to use my babysitting money to buy my own books. Using the library should keep my clutter down...I hope!
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar
    Great, Lambikins.

Got my copy of DATHR in the mail today. I'm almost finished with my seriel killer priest book and I'll start reading this one as soon as I'm finished.
    "Among the blind, the squinter rules." ~ Gerard Didier Erasmus

Quote Originally Posted by lambikins View Post
    You've started a new thing for me, since I haven't been in a library since I was a child and could start to use my babysitting money to buy my own books. Using the library should keep my clutter down...I hope!

I hadn't been to the library since College and I also just decided to get my card in January when we started this book club too!

Thanks to phat32 for suggesting the book club idea!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast