+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Cell by Stephen King (to be released January 24)

MRD
    Not being a horror fan or a King fan, I really don't know why I read Cell.
    I did read Carrie and the STand adn loved the Stand.
    At first, I thought this was going to be another Stand and it was, just a really weak, diluted version of it.

I was kind of disappointed. I expected to be scared and I wasn't.

Hated the ending.

All in all just seemed to me to be one of those books an author has to write because the publisher has them on contract.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I started this about a week ago, I'm about 140 pages in. I'm loving it.

But that might also have something to do with the fact that I'm a horror and Stephen King fan. Dawn/Day/Night of the Living Dead are some of my favorite movies (Especially the remake of Dawn of The Dead). Can't wait to see how it ends.......

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl View Post
    By the way, did I dream this or did someone here at the FORT say that there's a possible connection between Lisey of Lisey's Story and an older story/novel of King's? I swear, I'm getting more forgetful each day.
    Hey, geek, that was me...a loooong time ago! I just finished Cell, and allowed myself in this thread at long last. (For the record, I liked it. Not the best King book ever, but still a good read.)

About Lisey, King wrote a short story called "Lisey's Madman" that was published in a McSweeney's collection. In that story, Lisey and her husband were obviously modeled after Stephen and Tabitha. I'm looking forward to the new Lisey story!

BTW - Don't wait until summer to start reading those DT books. :nono You'll love them once you start reading them, and be mad you didn't start sooner!
    I'll do graffiti if you sing to me in French

Thanks, totoro! I knew someone here had talked about a Lisey from another story. I'll try to get ahold of the story before the novel comes out.

As for the DT books, the reason why I'm waiting until summer is that I have a pretty major essay to write and I just KNOW that I'll love the books so much that studying will be a thing of the past.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

I finished this two or three nights ago and I really enjoyed it a lot. I felt like it lost a little steam between the parts where
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Clay, Tom, and Jordan met up with Denise, Ray and Dan and didn't pick back until they arrived in Kashwack (Or was it Kashwakamak?, can't remember)
    but other than that the rest was a total page turner for me and seemed to be King at his best. Due to the storyline and the fact that it was a King novel I should have been ready for any of the characters to die but I found myself incredibly surprised and saddened by
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Alice's death.
    , didn't see it coming at all. I'd definately recommend this and cannot wait to see Eli Roth's film adaptation.

Wow, Eli Roth is going to do direct this? That sounds promising, I really like him and think he could a good job adapting King's book. Although, my God, where will he find the time? Doesn't he already have four or five projects down the pike?

Anyway, they certainly made quick work of greenlighting this book for the big screen. It was almost made for it, I guess; it reads very cinematically.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

I finally got to read this book and couldn't put it down. I loved the idea of the cell phone as messenger of death, and felt myself drawn right in, but, the ending left me hanging a bit, I wanted to know more.

Eli Roth and Stephen King sound like a match made in heaven. It seems like I'm constantly being disappointed by S.K. movie adaptions these days (Secret Window being the exception) so I can't wait to see this. Of course, in a perfect world, George Romero would direct this, since the plot is so clearly inspired by his zombie movies - as mentioned earlier on in this thread, S.K. even dedicated the book to him, and quite rightly so. Everything would come full circle, not to mention just how UNBELIEVABLY FRICKIN' COOL it would be! Eli Roth will do nicely, though: while I have yet to see Hostel, I really enjoyed his debut movie, Cabin Fever. A rampant, über-infectious mortal disease, plenty of blood and gore, a secluded, rural area populated by nubile young people and the ubiquitous weirdo and an Angelo Badalamenti score to boot... what's not to love?

PS: This should probably go in the "proper" Stephen King thread (do we have one?), but I just read that the movie adaption of one of my favourite S.K. novels, Bag of Bones, has sprung to a halt. There used to be an IMDB page devoted to the project, but it has mysteriously disappeared. Does this mean there won't be a movie at all?

Quote Originally Posted by cablejockey View Post
    I finally got to read this book and couldn't put it down. I loved the idea of the cell phone as messenger of death, and felt myself drawn right in, but, the ending left me hanging a bit, I wanted to know more.
    I'm with you. It's like they forgot to include the last chapter. I hate it when books end like that.

Geek The Girl, they were really going to do a movie of Bag of Bones? That was such a great book, I'd be afraid how the movie would turn out. Maybe it will start back up again, who knows.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

Quote Originally Posted by dagwood View Post

Geek The Girl, they were really going to do a movie of Bag of Bones? That was such a great book, I'd be afraid how the movie would turn out. Maybe it will start back up again, who knows.
    According to http://www.fansofrealitytv.com/forums/www.stephenking.com, the story has been optioned and there's even an (invalid) IMDB link, but it would appear that the project has been ditched for now. I don't think they got to the casting process, but I remember discussions here at the FORT about who would be a good Mike Noonan. I opted for Bill Pullman, myself.

ETA: A spoiler regarding the ending of Cell straight from the horse's mouth:
    Click to see Spoiler:
    "Based on the information given in the final third of Cell—I’m thinking about the reversion back toward the norm of the later phone crazies—it seems pretty obvious to me that things turned out well for Clay’s son, Johnny. I don’t need to tell you this, do I?”
    -Steve

Oh, and don't forget that Desperation airs May 23 at 8 pm on ABC. I'm so jealous of all of you who get to watch it. Silly European me.
    Last edited by geek the girl; 04-22-2006 at 10:50 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast