+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Cell by Stephen King (to be released January 24)

I was coming in here to say the ending sucked but phat and geek beat me to it in a much more articulate manner.

Geek,
    Click to see Spoiler:
    great observation as to why the ending was so emotionally unsatisfying, I agree with your synopsis. I'd rather he got it wrong and tried than for him to just end the book so abruptly. It would still have been a let down but my curiosity would've been satisfied.

phat -
    Click to see Spoiler:
    yeah, I caught the Charlie the Choo Choo mention, although at this point it seems to be a given that he includes fragments of other characters in all his books, as a kind of pop culture parody of himself. It's very smart marketing because the reader keeps reading to find out additional bits of information about the characters even after their book has ended.

It did suffer muchly in comparison to The Stand, but then I don't think he'll ever write anything else so compelling as The Stand or the Dark Tower series. I'm just fangirly about those books.
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

Who knows?

Maybe SK is gonna come up with Son of Cell, or Cell: The Sequel?

"In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

I'm putting this is spoiler tags just in case there are still people who haven't finished the novel:
    Click to see Spoiler:
    According to a message left by the forum moderator of his website, Stephen believes that the reversed Pulse worked and made Johnny Gee live again. So yes, maybe Son of Cell is a possibility.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Kao
    Read it, and I must say that the opening chapter creeped me completely out. I was reading it at night and I had to stop. I don't like the devil boxes on general purposes and don't want to be reached "at all times" (but I can see where they would be really handy in a emergency) and this book really make me not like them more!

Okay, I finally finished the book, so now I can finally visit this thread again. I am extremely allergic to spoilers, even with tags (reading the incidental stuff around the tags is already too much for me), because I like to approach a book as fresh as possible.

Interestingly, it sounds like I differ a bit from the "flock" in my opinion, as it were. Am I the only person who liked the way the book ended? I agree, however, that in general the final third of the book is much weaker than the rest. I raced through the beginning of the book only to lose significant interest after
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Alice died.

While it’s true that there is less delving into backstory than in some of King’s other works, I myself developed a rapid fondness for Clay, Tom and Alice (less so the other characters, with Jordan being particularly annoying). I felt these three were the best characterized, and I didn’t mind that their personalities were drawn as quick sketches, perhaps because I went into Cell expecting more of a plot-driven work as opposed to a character study. I personally liked feeling thrown together with them in the midst of the chaos, as they were thrown together themselves; in this regard, I feel the text nicely mimics the characters’ predicament.

I suppose I might be the only person who actually liked the ambiguity of the ending, as relates to
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Clay and Johnny Gee. I felt the resolution hinged more on Clay's decision to take the chance, more than the actual result, so in that sense it felt like a satisfactory resolution to me.

I always enjoy the pop culture references King throws in, and to see him tipping his hat to Dark Horse Comics and Neal Stephenson made me smile. There was one thing I didn’t understand though: Could someone explain to me that whole thing about “Dodge” and that phoner song?

All in all, I enjoyed Cell, it was a fun read, although it’s certainly not threatening to replace anything on the top of my list of favorite King books—largely because I didn’t find it scary at all! Being a big fan of all things zombie, I was intrigued with it as a novel (no pun intended) twist on the genre, but I think ultimately it failed to deliver any moments of true horror. I could sleep at night after reading this. I would stay awake all night terrified at the thought of Pennywise.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Kao
    LOL, maybe I'm just weak-minded because it freaked me out!

I hate zombies in general (have a irrational fear of them) so that might be why.

FORT Newbie
    Hi, I'm new here but an avid reader. I've been reading King since I was a kid and have to say that, while Cell wasn't his greatest, it was the most enjoyable one of his new books since Bag of Bones. There will never be another "The Stand", so i never tried to compare the two, but all in all, it was good and satisfying. The ending, while a little "WTF?", certainly wasn't as bad as the ending to "It".....call me crazy but I was loving that book and it had built me up to a huge climax only to be hugely disappointed. A spider...a freaking spider....lol....but anyway, I see you guys are big King fans, and was wondering if any of you have read "Ghost Story" by Peter Straub.......wanna be scared? Read it. FREAKED me out.

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Kao View Post
    LOL, maybe I'm just weak-minded because it freaked me out!

I hate zombies in general (have a irrational fear of them) so that might be why.
    If there were/are zombies I don't think it would be at all irrational to be afraid of them!

Hilarious, and quite true. When the zombie invasion does occur, I'm sure our fears will be perfectly justified.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    See, Kao? We all think you are perfectly rational! Now you just have to switch your fear to a "know your enemies" approach and read all about 'em!
    PS Nice to be appreciated, SnowflakeGirl!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast