+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Cell by Stephen King (to be released January 24)

Quote Originally Posted by JamiLee View Post
    on the grocery list - cracked me up - I feel the same way. Just love his books. All of them more than once. Has anyone read any of his books under his other name? (names maybe, correct me if I'm wrong)
    You're talking about the Richard Bachman novels, correct? I've read a few of them. Apparently, he wrote most of them when he was really young and just starting out as a writer, which sometimes shows. All of them are considerably shorter than "normal" Stephen King novels and one may argue that they also lack a certain depth, but if you've read everything else by him, I'd suggest you give them a go. My favourite Richard Bachman novels are probably Rage and Thinner. I think the latter has also been released under his real name. I haven't read The Regulators, which is his latest (last?) Bachman publication and sort of goes hand in hand with Desperation. If you've read Desperation, though, I'd give that one a go as well. (Note to self: Read The Regulators.)

Anyway, here's a list of the books penned by Stephen King as Richard Bachman:
    • Rage
    • The Long Walk
    • Roadwork
    • The Running Man
    • The Regulators

Speaking of Richard Bachman, does anyone know why King decided to revive him from the dead in order to write The Regulators? After The Dark Half, I was pretty sure that Richard Bachman - and George Stark - was gone forever.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl View Post
    Anyway, here's a list of the books penned by Stephen King as Richard Bachman:
    • Rage
    • The Long Walk
    • Roadwork
    • The Running Man
    • The Regulators

Speaking of Richard Bachman, does anyone know why King decided to revive him from the dead in order to write The Regulators? After The Dark Half, I was pretty sure that Richard Bachman - and George Stark - was gone forever.
    I liked the The Long Walk myself as the best one. I am not sure if I ever read the Regulators...Hmmm, will have to get that one!

From his website:
    Inspiration
    About The Regulators, Stephen says: I had been toying with this idea called The Regulators because I had a sticker on my printer that said that. Then one day I pulled up in my driveway after going to the market and the Voice said, Do The Regulators and do it as a Bachman book and use the characters from Desperation but let them be who they're going to be in this story. These books were an opportunity to test the idea of using characters as a repertory company. There are some passages that are word for word the same in both books and there are also little jokes. He explains further: It's just like actors who do Hamlet one night and Bus Stop the next.

I got my copy in the mail today. Upon closer inspection, it's not that short. Can't wait to start reading!

Anyone else get a copy of it yet?
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

I love Stephen King! I have since around sixth or seventh grade. The Stand was the first book I read and I loved it. I then read Carrie, Christine, IT, and Cujo in about a seventh month period-I was obsessed! Anyway, I'm not a big fan of his recent work but I just read a 4 page sample of Cell in the newest issue of Entertainment Weekly and I'm hooked! I wish it wasn't so damn late cause if the bookstore wasn't closed I'd probably go pick up a copy right now. I honestly wish I hadn't even read the sample cause now I'm feeling incredibly impatient and wanna read the rest. I love these types of stories, kind of reminded me of the Dawn of The Dead remake (Which I loved). I'm incredibly excited, it's been awhile since I started reading a book that grabbed me from the start like this one has.

I LOVE Stephen King. Cant wait to read this!
    "Pluck not the wayside flower..." William Allingham

Love Stephen King. Will have to read this one. There are only a couple of his that I haven't finished...Buick 8 and Dark Tower series.

The Stand was my first taste, and favorite, of Stephen (back when it first came out and was heavily edited). Bag of Bones is my second fave. Scared the crap out of me when I read it. Kept hearing things go bump in the night for weeks.

PGM35, have you read Desperation? That book was released at the same time as The Regulators. It uses the exact same characters but in a very different situation. Great couple of books to read back to back.

eta:
    I forgot a story of his I read once and will never read again. It was Survivor Type, about a man who was stranded on a desert island. Creeps me out just thinking about it.

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Cool! Love post-apocalypse fiction and love King--should be a great combo! Looking forward to reviews from our early readers.

Quote Originally Posted by dagwood View Post
    I forgot a story of his I read once and will never read again. It was Survivor Type, about a man who was stranded on a desert island. Creeps me out just thinking about it.
    That is one of my all time favorite short stories of his! I remember loving that and "The Mangler" back when I was like 8 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl View Post
    I got my copy in the mail today. Upon closer inspection, it's not that short. Can't wait to start reading!

Anyone else get a copy of it yet?
    Luuucky! I haven't gotten my copy yet, but I did just get an email notice the other day saying that it's just been shipped, so I expect to see it any day now.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Premium Member
    I sure haven't been paying attention! I just saw the book for the first time in Barnes & Noble tonight, so I guess now I know what to tell Mr. Marleybone to get me for Valentine's day.

Got it.

Finishing up one, then on to Cell!
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast