+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: A Million Little Pieces by James Frey

The News Story that Refuses to Die

Angry Frey readers can get money back
    Friday, September 8, 2006

By HILLEL ITALIE
    ASSOCIATED PRESS

NEW YORK -- It's payback time for disgraced memoirist James Frey and his publisher, Random House Inc.

Under a tentative legal settlement, readers who said they were defrauded by Frey's best seller, "A Million Little Pieces," can claim refunds, an agreement called unprecedented -- and understandable -- by a leading publishing attorney.

"I can confirm that we have an agreement in principle," David Drake, a spokesman for the Random House imprint Doubleday, said Thursday. "However, it requires court approval and may take several weeks and even months."

Allan Adler, vice president for legal and government affairs for the Association of American Publishers, noted that memoirs often cause allegations of defamation or invasion of privacy, but said he knew of no other case involving consumer fraud. He doubted whether the plaintiffs would have prevailed, but called the settlement sensible.

Readers who bought "A Million Little Pieces" on or before Jan. 26, the day Frey and his publisher acknowledged that he had made up parts of the book, would be eligible for a refund of the full suggested retail price, regardless of discounts or special sales.

Details about the settlement came from a person familiar with the deal who spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because court approval was still pending. Under terms of the agreement, neither Frey nor the publisher has admitted any wrongdoing.

t Frey's memoir of addiction and recovery contained numerous fabrications. Oprah Winfrey, who had chosen it for her book club, initially defended Frey, but soon changed her mind and berated him in person on her TV show. Even so, the book remained on best seller lists for months.

Frey also acknowledged extensive falsifications in a second memoir, "My Friend Leonard."

http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?...Y3dnFlZUVFeXk2
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Lambi, I know you were particularly disappointed in his admissions, and I'm curious if you're going to request a refund? I also bought the book, and was going to buy My Friend Leonard but changed my mind when the truth came out. I decided he'd received enough of my hard-earned money, but I don't feel wronged enough to seek a refund though.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

Quote Originally Posted by roseskid View Post
    Lambi, I know you were particularly disappointed in his admissions, and I'm curious if you're going to request a refund? I also bought the book, and was going to buy My Friend Leonard but changed my mind when the truth came out. I decided he'd received enough of my hard-earned money, but I don't feel wronged enough to seek a refund though.
    Fortunately, roseskid, I didn't have to lay out one red cent for his piece of crap. My roomie lent it to me, all spiral-eyed over his "journey" and was/is one of the last hold-outs in still believing all of his hype. So, no, I don't need a refund except for me wasted time.
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Quote Originally Posted by AJane View Post
    Well, I'm nearly done this book, so I feel qualified to comment now.

First off - there's no freaking way Oprah read this book. For all her faults, she's obviously intelligent, and no one who has a cynical bone in their body would think Frey's work was anything but fiction. Oh, certain things ring true, and there are several brilliant passages - I'm surprised that he couldn't sell it as a novel - but too much of it was way over the top to be a believable memoir.

Second, and the book's most glaring fault, is the tough-guy stance Frey takes as the protagonist. It sounds like it was written by a wuss who wishes he was a badass. I can buy him as a defiant adolescent but not a jailbird.

Third, the capitalized Nouns are pretentious and distracting. If he was too lazy to write in proper dialogue form, fine, but at times I felt like I was reading a menu written in Olde English.

Fourth - yeah, it's not nice to twist facts about two teenagers who were killed in an accident, but the girl's mom interviewed didn't seem put off by Frey's recounting. If she doesn't care, then I sure don't. The garbage about the criminal charges is more pathetic than anything.

Fourth and final point - it doesn't matter that it's not all true. It's a decent read, and it would make a great movie - hope that project doesn't fall apart in the wake of this scandal. Bottom line, the guy was an addict and successfully completed rehab. I suspect that's what enamours him to the substance abusers, past and present, that read his book. If I was an addict that failed at the 12-step program, I would find this story really inspiring. Anyone else can read it and enjoy it for what it is - a fictionalized memoir. Forget the artist and focus on the art. It's original and compelling, and that's enough of a reason for it to be remaining on best-seller lists.

And Oprah - next time you slap one of your coveted stickers on a book, read the damn thing first, OK? You can save up your moral outrage and righteous indignation for something more important, like the next hurricane or the next time some pompous store manager doesn't let you in his shop to browse after hours.
    I agree with everything you said AJane.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678