+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: A Million Little Pieces by James Frey

Quote Originally Posted by Maveno View Post
    [size=3][b]Smoking Gun editor William Bastone told Reuters, “In off-the-record interviews with us, Frey admitted embellishing facts in the book for dramatic impact.”
    Thanks for posting, Maveno.

I love your post, ClosetRTWatcher, and felt the same way you did about these revelations. Like I said upthread, I have no problem with people inclined to exaggeration, but hearing him state several times in the past that all was true, then finding out it's not, disappoints me greatly. I will definitely be tuning in to Larry King tonight.

Oh, and on a personal note, I just reread my earlier post, and I just want to say I was distracted when posting, and I'd like to go on the record to state that I do know how to spell novocain, and that I should have used the word their and not they're. There, I feel better.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

Maveno: Thanks so much for finding the above article. I am too speechless to comment on the unprecedented refund. It's been playing on all the 5:00 pm news stations in Chicago.

I know that according to Elizabeth Kubler-Ross, there are 5 stages to grief or dying: denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and acceptance.

I'm just wondering if there's 5 stages to being duped? Maybe Disbelief, Anger, more Disbelief, Sadness, and finally acceptance.

Right now, I'm in the sadness phase. Sad that this had to happen. Sad for everything that James Frey gained and is now in the process of losing. Sad for his parents, who have put up with two lifetimes of crap from their sons million BIG and little lies. Sad for those who supported him: his publisher, Oprah, the people who advanced him money for books still not written, the people in pre-production of his movie.

Sad for the everyday people who believed in him. Sad for those of us that didn't but wanted to.

It's just plain turned sad.

When I give up watching a new episode of LOST to watch Larry King, man...that's also sad.

I just want to give everyone a
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Quote Originally Posted by lambikins View Post
    Maveno: Thanks so much for finding the above article. I am too speechless to comment on the unprecedented refund. It's been playing on all the 5:00 pm news stations in Chicago.

I know that according to Elizabeth Kubler-Ross, there are 5 stages to grief or dying: denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and acceptance.

I'm just wondering if there's 5 stages to being duped? Maybe Disbelief, Anger, more Disbelief, Sadness, and finally acceptance.

Right now, I'm in the sadness phase. Sad that this had to happen. Sad for everything that James Frey gained and is now in the process of losing. Sad for his parents, who have put up with two lifetimes of crap from their sons million BIG and little lies. Sad for those who supported him: his publisher, Oprah, the people who advanced him money for books still not written, the people in pre-production of his movie.

Sad for the everyday people who believed in him. Sad for those of us that didn't but wanted to.

It's just plain turned sad.

When I give up watching a new episode of LOST to watch Larry King, man...that's also sad.

I just want to give everyone a

Great post Lambikins!

I watched Mr. Frey on Larry King last night. His main defense seems to be that the genre "memoir" implies a mixing of reality and fiction because it is based on memories rather than facts. Which I agree with to a certain extent. I actually do believe that he thought he wasn't doing anything wrong when he wrote the book this way. However, he still spent most of the show dancing around the facts.

IMO, he just took the "fiction" part too far for a memoir. ::sigh::

I think that might be part of it at least, ClosetRT -- that he crossed a line between memoir and truth that isn't well-defined, but still exists. I haven't read the book, and actually hadn't even heard of it until recently (take THAT, Oprah ) but my concept of a "memoir" is that it is basically true. I expect that someone's memories of a conversation with their father, or something, might be paraphrased, but I expect that actual events and emotions -- "I went to school here, I felt this about such-and-such" are true. Otherwise, how are you telling the story of your life, really?
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Exactly Lucy. Memories are one thing, concrete facts are another. If he was going to embellish or outright lie about the "facts", then it should have been advertised as being "inspired by" a true story.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    msnbc.com

Frey to add author’s note to disputed memoir
    Publisher remains tight-lipped on what note will say

Author James Frey, with his mother Lynne,
    appeared on "Larry King Live" to discuss allegations
    of fraud in the writing of his memoir, "A Million Little Pieces."

NEW YORK - Future hardcover and paperback editions of James Frey’s disputed memoir of addiction, “A Million Little Pieces,” will include a brief author’s note that refers to the content of the book, his publisher said Thursday.

Doubleday spokeswoman Alison Rich declined to offer details about the note or to comment on why it was being added. She would not say if the note was an acknowledgment often found in memoirs — but not in “A Million Little Pieces” — that names and events had been altered.

Frey has been under close scrutiny since The Smoking Gun, an investigative Web site (www.thesmokinggun.com), posted a story last Sunday alleging the author had substantially fabricated his criminal record and other aspects of his past.

Frey has acknowledged to The Smoking Gun that he embellished parts of the book and he said so again Wednesday night on “Larry King Live,” stating that alterations were common for memoirs and defending “the essential truth” of “A Million Little Pieces.”

“The book is about drug addiction and alcoholism,” he said. “The emotional truth is there.”

Frey’s book was first published in 2003 and became a sensation last fall after Oprah Winfrey selected it for her book club. On Wednesday night, Winfrey made a surprise phone call to King’s show and supported Frey.

“If you’re an addict whose life has been moved by this story and you feel that what James went through was able ... to help you hold on a little bit longer, and you connected to that, that is real. That is real,” she said. “And it’s ... irrelevant discussing, you know, what happened or did not happen to the police.”

Sales have remained high for “A Million Little Pieces,” which on Wednesday night topped the best seller list on Amazon.com.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

As of this morning, the Frey story has reached Swedish newspapers. So I guess you could say this is big.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

The disparity between Frey and his mom's expressions in that photo cracks me up.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/c...,3659762.story

Chicago woman files suit against ‘Pieces’ author James Frey

Published January 16, 2006

A class action lawsuit was filed in Cook County Circuit Court on Thursday against "A Million Little Pieces author James Frey (left), according to court documents.

The lawsuit--which also lists Doubleday, Random House, Knopf and Vintage Anchor publishing houses as defendants--accuses Frey and his publishers of consumer fraud, said Thomas Pakenas of Dale & Pakenas, the West Loop law firm representing the plaintiff, Pilar More, of Chicago.

More read "A Million Little Pieces" after seeing Frey appear on "The Oprah Winfrey Show" and "got an emotional response from his plight," Pakenas said.

When she learned from a report by The Smoking Gun that parts of the memoir were false, More decided to pursue legal action, Pakenas said.

"If somebody makes misrepresentations, and the misrepresentations entice someone to purchase something and it's false--it is by definition consumer fraud," Pakenas said.

Pakenas said the defendants will be served with the lawsuit, and will have 20 days to respond.

Copyright © 2006, Chicago Tribune
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast