+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Book Club (January 2006): The Man in My Basement by Walter Mosley

Book Club (January 2006): The Man in My Basement by Walter Mosley

Starting Sunday, Jan. 2, anyone who is interested is invited to read and discuss The Man in My Basement by Walter Mosley.

Proposed reading schedule:

Week One (Jan. 2-8): Pages 1-88, 88 pages (Chapters 1-10)

Week Two (Jan. 9-15): Pages 89-175, 86 pages (Chapters 11-20)

Week Three (Jan. 16-22): Pages 176-249, 73 pages (Chapters 21-28)

Week Four can be treated as catch-up, further discussion and selection of the February 2006 book.

(ETA: With longer works, I can foresee using the fourth week as part of the reading schedule, but TMiMB is relatively shorter, and, in my humble opinion, a good jumping-off point for a new book discussion group.)

The above is simply an outline, a proposal. If anyone has any ideas, or if the above seems too fast-paced or slow-paced, please suggest another schedule.

I have read up to page 50 and look forward to our discussions! I think (and hope) you will enjoy it as much as I have.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

Not to be anal or anything, but Sunday is New Year's Day, Phat. Perhaps you've already been partying, my friend? Makes no difference to me, I can discuss it on the first.

ETA Where is the wink smilie? I must be losing my mind, or all my favorite expressions are disappearing. Ah well, this one's still here:

I got the book today so I am going to copy this out and start reading
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar
    Just so you know, I'll be in Alaska from 12/31 till 01/09 and won't be able to participate until I return.

I was hoping TMIMB would come today so I could take it on my tirp, but no such luck. Hopefully it'll be here when I return and I'll catch up with y'all.
    "Among the blind, the squinter rules." ~ Gerard Didier Erasmus

Not sure how we do this. Do we have the whole week to read up to page 88 or is the due date tomorrow for the pages? I have read them, I just don't want to get ahead of anyone if they haven't read them yet. Phat - need some guidance and I'm anxious as you can tell.

I read through the first section today....interesting read. I will wait patiently until other are done with that part to discuss it.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

I had envisioned the first ten chapters being "fair game" during week one, the first twenty fair game during week two, etc., for spoiler and discussion purposes. I've never participated in a book club, either, so I'm sort of feeling my way through this, too.

After reading up through chapter nine, my first question for you is this: What do you think of Charles Blakey?

I'll bring scones next time.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

Quite frankly he strikes me as someone who has had things just kind of given to him and he has taken advantage of that to such a point that people are tired of him. I think everyone has a friend/family member like Ricky that kind of sticks in there for them ---although normally it even wears thin with them eventually.

Sometimes someone like that needs a good swift kick in the rear and they can turn things around for the better and shock those who doubted them.

I don't really think he knows the truth about his ancestors, whatever that may end up being. I am interested to see where that story lline goes.

I know from personal experience, not mine thank goodness, how something criminal usch as stealing or messing around with money and not paying it back can stop people from wanting to hire you, but it seems like that was his own fault.
    -Bono

I got that sense - like he feels entitled to certain things without having to "work" for them. And jealous of his friends and those that have things that he doesn't (even things such as luck and smarts).

But you mean Charles, not Ricky. Ricky is the cousin.

ETA: I just reread your post and now I see that you DID mean Ricky. Who is sticking by him. Sorry!

I'm about halfway through chapter 8, and the first word that popped into my head when thinking about how to describe Charles was "soulless". It's not the perfect word, but it's as if when he picked up the masks it was the first time in his life that he really felt anything besides anger and disappointment.

What I also find interesting in his narrative - he speaks with pride about his parents and his family's home and history, but places no real value in it (taking the mortgage out on the house, letting it fall to shambles). Really, Charles himself has no values - he lies, he steals, he admires his serial-cheater friend Clarance. Obviously his relationship with his new boarder will somehow change him - I'm getting anxious to see how (so what am I doing on the computer instead of reading?? )

Sorry to go on and on...this is fun for me, my husband and IRL friends are not readers and I've never been able to discuss books I'm reading.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast