+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Book Club (January 2006): The Man in My Basement by Walter Mosley

You all get out of my head! I was just thinking of who should should be in the movie version of this book while I was reading it this afternoon - and I even thought of Terence Howard as Charles, DesertRose!

I see maybe Philip Seymour Hoffman as Bennet...Queen Latifah as Bethany... and Ludacris (can't remember his real name but he was fabulous in Crash) as Ricky. I'm drawing a blank at Clarance and Narciss - I sort of like Halle Berry as Narciss but I think maybe she's *too* pretty. I picture Narciss as being a more intellectual-type beauty.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Oh my God! I just realized that while reading the book, I've imagined Bob Balaban as Bennet. He's had supporting roles in Gosford Park and Seinfeld (playing the NBC executive who got sick - courtesy of Elaine sneezing in the soup - during an important meeting with Jerry and George), and I kid you not when I tell you that he's been my idea of Bennet from the first page he appeared. Don't know why; it's just the way I imagine him.

I think of Narciss as Yaya from ANTM 3
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl View Post
    Oh my God! I just realized that while reading the book, I've imagined Bob Balaban as Bennet.
    OMG! That is totally how I have been picturing Bennet! I don't have an image of Narciss, but I never thought she was very pretty. She just has gorgeous skin.

With week number two of our book club already upon us, it's time we started discussing the second part of the book. Feel free to post any thoughts and ideas up until page 175. One good place to start - echoing phat's question from last week - might be What do you think of Anniston Bennet?

Sorry if I come across as bossy, but I figured somebody needs to fill in for phat to get the discussion going. (Where is he, by the way?)
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Anyone?

Sorry y'all.

I have been sick all week and been in the subbing job from hell.

As for Anniston...I think the "crime" he committed wasn't necessarily something that is defined as a crime in the court of law but maybe a crime of the heart. Maybe he betrayed family or people that he was close to.

I don't think that he is weird. He actually intrigues me.

I know that isn't much --- but it is the best I can do in my medicated state.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

It's better than what we've all done JLuvs.

Here is my take on Anniston: I don't like him. I don't like that he thinks he can punish himself for whatever crimes he has committed and that everything will be ok. I don't like that everything comes easy to him, even living in a basement cell and I don't like that he's arrogant when he should be in no position to do so.

I've been distracted by all this nonsense about James Frey. BTW, Geek, congrats on your post-of-the-week - all your posts are great.

Anniston Bennet: Tormented. Self-loathing. And possibly the most un-likable character I've ever come across in fiction.

I'm finding him a little too enigmatic. Actually, I think this character - even though he's so pivotal - is weakly written in comparison to the others. Or maybe Mosley deliberately plays Bennet's character down because of race? I don't mean that in a reverse-racism kind of way, just that the author may be attempting to keep all focus (and sympathy) on Charles rather than the mystery man in the basement.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I am seeing Anniston as a manipulator and someone used to getting what he wants.....no matter the cost. He has obviously done his homework and knows he can play Charles to his liking. He seems....I don't know.......slick

Vondl0, I like that word, slick. I find it describes him perfectly.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast