+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: [Book Club] Revival?

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by phat32 View Post
    Except for Another Bull**it Night in Suck City, I checked, and all the above have audio (either tape or CD) versions, so Jewelsy should be able to enjoy them, as well.
    Phat, thanks for checking. I order my books through Braille and Talking Book Library (in case you want to check again). And if it isn't available, I don't want to hold everybody else up. I'll just catch up with y'all next time.
    "Among the blind, the squinter rules." ~ Gerard Didier Erasmus

Quote Originally Posted by Jewelsy View Post
    Phat, thanks for checking. I order my books through Braille and Talking Book Library (in case you want to check again). And if it isn't available, I don't want to hold everybody else up. I'll just catch up with y'all next time.
    Okay. But I would like to accommodate you whenever possible, as much as possible. I don't see why someone who enjoys books as much as we do should be kept from participating, when the technology is there to aid you in enjoying.

I'll be sure to check that site whenever we bring up recommendations. Thanks for sharing it.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

Jewelsy, I agree with Phat. There are so many books out there, I don't see why you have to sit on the sidelines just because a book is not available on tape or braille.

Quote Originally Posted by phat32 View Post
    Snoop's in!

If TYoMT is largely unavailable, I'll scour around and try to come up with some other ideas and put them out there for y'all.

And, more importantly, Snoop, what's your poison?
    Hey Phat! MY poison?? Hee Hee- THAT'S a loaded question!! (red wine anyone?)
    Regarding literature? I would love to hear everyone here dissect Ayn Rand, "The Fountainhead". What a strange and bizarre look at humanity!
    Go Tigers!

If it's not too late, I would love to try to join. I love to read, always have.. and I am so stuck in a rut with my choice of books -- choosing mostly only the same authors over and over lately -- though I must say I do love my psychological thrillers and suspense.. anyhow I am in nursing school though, so as long as it is one book per month I can probably hack it on the weekends. I actually welcome the possibility of reading in different genres for a change.

Oh and just a thought to those checking books from the public library, don't forget that you can probably also check into getting a card from the local colleges/universities too. Just a thought

Um, hello- are we going to pick a book? Or should I make a suggestion? (I'm thinking Hemingway, since I have never been able to make heads or tails of his stuff without outside help) Or else SOMEONE make another suggestion- and let's pick a title!
    Go Tigers!

Quote Originally Posted by snoopy View Post
    Um, hello- are we going to pick a book? Or should I make a suggestion? (I'm thinking Hemingway, since I have never been able to make heads or tails of his stuff without outside help) Or else SOMEONE make another suggestion- and let's pick a title!
    Let's put it to a vote over two choices: the older novel that generated some interest and the more recent novel that generated some interest:

A) The Man in My Basement by Walter Mosley

or

B) The Year of Magical Thinking by Joan Didion

Fyi, the Mosley is available at Braille and Talking Library; the Didion is not (yet).

Let's get something chosen by the 27th so that y'all have a few days to get ahold of the book, and shoot for that Jan. 2 start date.

If y'all just don't care, then I say we go with the Mosley (it would be good for Jewelsy, and I saw a bunch available on Amazon used) and the Didion maybe later this year.

"...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

Phat, The Man in my Basement is an inspired choice. It's the kind of book that is accessible, the issues are interesting and the theme is great. I'm giving it a big .
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

I like the man in my basement also.

That's fine with me too!
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast