+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: [Book Club] Revival?

Quote Originally Posted by Jewelsy View Post

Phat sucked me back in with the mention of Harlan Coben. Absolutely LOVE him. Suspense, mystery, horror and thrillers are more my style. Give me murder, torture, serial killings and the like, and I'm a happy camper.
    I just have to second your Harlan Coben love. Oh, and thanks for the recommendations, phat. The fact that I've already read and loved Harlan Coben's novels only goes to show that you really get my taste in books. I've only read his standalone stuff though - d'you reckon I should give the Myron Bolitar series a go? I'll definitely check out F. Paul Wilson.

On a different, more serious note: I really, really hope that no one is hesitant about participating in the book club because they feel intimidated. The whole point of a book club is to have a group of people come together and talk about books in a completely uninhibited way. Everyone's opinion is equally important and no, you don't have to know the difference between a novel and a novella to enjoy literature. At all. (For the record: A novella is a story that isn't quite long enough to be labelled a novel, but not short enough to fit into the short story category. Stephen King's "The Body" and "The Shawshank Redemption" are two examples of great novellas.) I'm a lit major, so I can't help talking about genres and writing styles - it's pretty much my bread and butter. Behind all that, though, I'm just a girl who loves reading for the fun of it. At the end of the day, reading should be about having fun and, perhaps, learning one or two things about yourself, other people or the world along the way. That's what I'm hoping this book club will be all about.

Now, having said that, what kind of drinks are Jewels, PGM, DesertRose and lildago enjoying in the back? Cause if it's margaritas (or beer. Or Chardonnay. Or Cosmos) I want one too!
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Quote Originally Posted by phat32 View Post
    PGM35, welcome. I didn't mean to neglect you earlier. I was keying outdoors, and it was so cold, and my hands were so frozen, that I was distracted. My apologies.
    No problem! I want to participate but need to sit back for a while to see how this is done. Do we read chapters and then discuss? or read the whole book and go from there?
    And my drink of choice is margaritas...

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl View Post
    On a different, more serious note: I really, really hope that no one is hesitant about participating in the book club because they feel intimidated.
    Nope, not intimidated at all! Just playing around! I'm actually looking forward to this! I haven't read much since I had my kids. I have 2 books sitting here now just begging to be read and haven't had time! Of course, if I could just log off the computer......

And PGM, margaritas sound great!
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

Did someone mention drinks???

I'll throw in my vote for The Year of Magical Thinking. Not least because I checked my local library catalogue and I think I can get a copy for January. But it sounds like a good read.

Incidentally, I don't know anything about writing styles either - I just love to read. I'm so excited about this.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl View Post
    I just have to second your Harlan Coben love. Oh, and thanks for the recommendations, phat. The fact that I've already read and loved Harlan Coben's novels only goes to show that you really get my taste in books. I've only read his standalone stuff though - d'you reckon I should give the Myron Bolitar series a go?
    I couldn't remember if we had already discussed Coben, so to be on the safe side, I thought I'd throw it out, just in case. I'm glad you like Coben as much as I do!

As for Myron Bolitar, I haven't started those, yet, as much as I like Coben's books. I just don't think I could afford to follow another character right now, since I'm already following Kellerman's Delaware, Connelly's Bosch and getting a taste here and there of Lehane's Kenzie and Gennaro.

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl
    I'll definitely check out F. Paul Wilson.
    Do. Since we share a love of Ellroy, Coben, King, Lehane, Connelly and other incredibly gruesome writers , I think you'll enjoy F. Paul Wilson a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl
    On a different, more serious note: I really, really hope that no one is hesitant about participating in the book club because they feel intimidated. The whole point of a book club is to have a group of people come together and talk about books in a completely uninhibited way. Everyone's opinion is equally important and no, you don't have to know the difference between a novel and a novella to enjoy literature. At all.
    Amen to all that!

Quote Originally Posted by PGM35
    I want to participate but need to sit back for a while to see how this is done. Do we read chapters and then discuss? or read the whole book and go from there?
    I thought we'd handle it a bit like college--cut up the books into chapters (or page assignments), week by week, and discuss those chapters (or page assignments) as we proceed through them. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Ajane
    Did someone mention drinks???
    YES!! Nothing but the best for the FoRT Book Club. Just look at the meeting place I built overnight:

I'll take a vodka tonic, double vodka, double lime.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

Like I said before I am up for reading anything, I always like to read something new. Since we are drinking during our meetings that makes it even better. Any other martini drinkers out there?

Quote Originally Posted by yardgnome77 View Post
    Like I said before I am up for reading anything, I always like to read something new. Since we are drinking during our meetings that makes it even better. Any other martini drinkers out there?
    Heck, yeah! Grey Goose, chilled, two olives, slightly dirty, light vermouth!
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

I'll stick with a nice glass of Pinot Noir to go along with the Firestone theme I'm using on FORT.

I'm more interested in hearing everyone's suggestions than nominating any myself because I'm so out of the literary loop these days. But realistically I can only get ahold of them if they're in the library, so slightly older and not mega-popular is appreciated.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Quote Originally Posted by phat32 View Post
    Heck, yeah! Grey Goose, chilled, two olives, slightly dirty, light vermouth!
    Glad to see I am in martini company although I like the different flavored ones!

I thought we'd handle it a bit like college--cut up the books into chapters (or page assignments), week by week, and discuss those chapters (or page assignments) as we proceed through them. Thoughts?
    That sounds like a plan to me. I will trying and come back with book suggestions later on, if I remember when the play is all done.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast