+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: [Book Club] Revival?

Great suggestion, yardgnome! "Brokeback Mountain" is a wonderful story - not a novel, though, but a short story/novella in Annie Proulx's story collection Close Range: Wyoming Stories. I managed to find a volume which only features "Brokeback Mountain"; not sure how easy they are to come by, though. Since I own the "Brokeback Mountain" volume but not the entire collection of stories, I've only read "Brokeback Mountain" but would love to read the whole book. If we were to read it, should we read the entire collection since the stories all deal with similar themes and geographical landscapes?

I still vote for The Year of Magical Thinking for our first pick, but I'm definitely open to the possibility of reading and discussing Annie Proulx. She's a marvellous writer.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

I'd like to join too! I don't mind what the book is. How does a book club work? Do we have deadlines for chapters? Please let me know. This sounds like fun.

Welcome, haejin, djeterfan! And it wouldn't have been a book club without geek the girl! I had your special book club armchair emblazoned with the flag of Sweden and everything.

Oh, and geek the girl, you asked me for recommendations. I've thought about it, and I whole-heartedly recommend F. Paul Wilson and Harlan Coben. Coben does great suspense--as grim and gruesome as Lehane with the energy of Dan Brown (only smarter). F. Paul Wilson defies a genre tag, which is probably why bookstores don't push his excellent books very well, or at all. I just am completely confident that you'll love his books as much as I do.

So, what say we take book recommendations and put it to a vote as the recommendations taper off? And then start in January, as planned?
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar
    I'm starting to get scared here - talking about writing styles and novel vs. novella. I have absolutely NO CLUE what all that means, and I'd be a fish out of water if we started philosophizing about stuff. Yeah, I said stuff.

I probably read two books a week. Well, not 'read', but listen. But I stopped posting in the "What are you reading?" thread because I SUCK at trying to get my thoughts or interpretation across in a post so it makes sense. And after reading everybody's posts, so articulately written, I slowly back away from the thread.

Now with that being said, I'm ready to learn what the difference is between a novel and a novella, how to distinguish different writing styles, and *gasp* possibly philosophizing. Wait. I'm not going to go that far. But yeah, I'm willing to learn.

Phat sucked me back in with the mention of Harlan Coben. Absolutely LOVE him. Suspense, mystery, horror and thrillers are more my style. Give me murder, torture, serial killings and the like, and I'm a happy camper. But I'll read the "smart" books too.

Carry on...
    "Among the blind, the squinter rules." ~ Gerard Didier Erasmus

Quote Originally Posted by Jewelsy View Post
    Now with that being said, I'm ready to learn what the difference is between a novel and a novella, how to distinguish different writing styles, and *gasp* possibly philosophizing. Wait. I'm not going to go that far. But yeah, I'm willing to learn.

***sits in the back row with Jewelsy*** what she said...

*joins Jewels, PGM, and DesertRose in the back row with popcorn and drinks*
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

Gosh, I didn't expect the last few posts. I was coming here to respectfully request the right to lurk here in the thread. I have a RL book club I've been ducking due to holiday craziness. But if you hit a book I've read or am reading, do you mind if I pop in?
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Feel free to hop!
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat View Post
    Gosh, I didn't expect the last few posts.
    What's that? Because they seem intimidated to participate? I hope no one does. It's all just for fun, anyway, just folks taking their best shot at understanding some of these books.

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat
    I was coming here to respectfully request the right to lurk here in the thread. I have a RL book club I've been ducking due to holiday craziness. But if you hit a book I've read or am reading, do you mind if I pop in?
    I can't speak for everyone, but you know you didn't even need to ask, hepcat. You always express yourself so well, you know that any opinions you have on the books in question would always be welcome.

PGM35, welcome. I didn't mean to neglect you earlier. I was keying outdoors, and it was so cold, and my hands were so frozen, that I was distracted. My apologies.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast