+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: [Book Club] Revival?

*tiptoes in because I'm at work*
    I can't wait. It's fine with me to discuss older books because, unless it's one of my favorite authors, I'm going to wait until the library gets it in.
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by phat32 View Post
    ...C'mon. There are plenty of smart, accomplished people who browse the Books forums...
    What if we're stoopid and inept? I'm in. I may need to pass on any newly published books as it takes a while for them to be recorded. But yeah, I'm intersted.
    "Among the blind, the squinter rules." ~ Gerard Didier Erasmus

January would be fine with me. I love reading all types of books, so I am not that picky. I just got a new one for my birthday: Catch Me if You Can - The True Story of a Real Fake by Frank W. Abagnale with Stan Redding.

As I am in play until next Saturday and then moving the rest of December I won't have time to read anything to January.

I would like it to be a book that I could check out from the library though.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

It sounds like fun! I'm ready to jump in. And I'd love to read for for the sake of reading again.
    Gustav Holst was right!

For your consideration: Here's a list of the New York Times's "100 Notable Books of the Year [2005]." Take it for what it's worth. I just found it a good starting point.

For this reason or that, these are the books that jumped out at me:
    HOW WE ARE HUNGRY: Stories. By Dave Eggers. (McSweeney's, $22.) A shining miscellany peopled by characters in close touch with childhood.

THE MARCH. By E. L. Doctorow. (Random House, $25.95.) Characters in this absorbing novel are transformed by distress and destruction as Sherman marches to the sea in 1864.

MEMORIES OF MY MELANCHOLY WHORES. By Gabriel García Márquez. (Knopf, $20.) A strange and luminous novel whose elderly hero pays for sex but finds love.

MISSING MOM. By Joyce Carol Oates. (Ecco/ HarperCollins, $25.95.) This novel peers into the void left by a woman's sudden absence.

NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN. By Cormac McCarthy. (Knopf, $24.95.) Women grieve, men fight in this hard-boiled Texas noir crime novel.

SATURDAY. By Ian McEwan. (Nan A. Talese/Doubleday, $26.) This novel traces a day off in the life of an English neurosurgeon who comes face to face with senseless violence.

AMERICAN PROMETHEUS: The Triumph and Tragedy of J. Robert Oppenheimer. By Kai Bird and Martin J. Sherwin. (Knopf, $35.) The first full biography of the atom bomb's father -- rich in new revelations.

1491: New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus. By Charles C. Mann. (Knopf, $30.) This sweeping portrait of pre-Columbian civilization argues that it was far more populous and sophisticated than previously thought.

1776. By David McCullough. (Simon & Schuster, $32.) A lively work that skewers Washington's pretensions and admires citizen soldiers.

THE YEAR OF MAGICAL THINKING. By Joan Didion. (Knopf, $23.95.) A powerful, persuasive account of the crisis of mortality after the sudden death of the author's husband.
    I'd like to put a big star next to The Year of Magical Thinking, as I've heard much about this book, haven't read it and it satisfies me because since we have interested Canadian FoRTers, I'd like to stay away from USA-centric books like The March and 1776, even though I find those personally appealing.

Also, because of the press surrounding the book (more press than some of the others), I hope those of you scouring the library will have better luck, especially if you're looking for an audio version.

But if anyone has any ideas, toss 'em out there.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertRose
    I'd love to participate also. I just hope my mostly French library carries the books we chose. Those are the joys of living in a mostly French province. As an aside, the stupid Office of French Language...
    Bonjour, ca va? What a small world. I lived in Ville Lachine for a few years and St. Pierre, before it was incorporated into Lachine. I have fond memories of taking my beautiful dog, a Rhodesian Ridgeback, for walks along the waterway and stopping for an ice cream at the Diary Queen on the way back. (Don't laugh. Dairy Queen was a treat in Lachine!) I also loved the poutine at La Belle Province, and the best dim sum I've ever had was in Chinatown in Downtown Montreal.

And, yes, I know all too well of what it's like being an Anglophone in Quebec.

Quote Originally Posted by AJane
    My only request is that it's something that has maybe been out for a few months...it's hard to get really new titles at the library out here in my prairie wilderness (example: I put a hold on the new Bret Easton Ellis title and the library doesn't even have it yet...it's on order.
    Hi, AJane. The thought had occurred to me, too. One new hardcover every month for a year for a book club could be a bank breaker and lose potential interested parties. I think the Didion is fairly recent, although my hope is that most libraries have it. If not, hey, we're open to suggestion, and let me know if any suggested titles aren't available.

Quote Originally Posted by lildago
    phat, January is better for me too!
    Cool! Looking forward to hearing from you! Your thoughts on poetry have been engaging!

Quote Originally Posted by Dinahann
    I can't wait. It's fine with me to discuss older books because, unless it's one of my favorite authors, I'm going to wait until the library gets it in.
    Yep. Should be more fun than a barrel of monkeys. And I would have put Ellis on my list above, but I know you and AJane have disagreed on him in the past, no?

Quote Originally Posted by Jewelsy
    What if we're stoopid and inept? I'm in. I may need to pass on any newly published books as it takes a while for them to be recorded. But yeah, I'm intersted
    Far from inept, Jewels, dear . Glad to see you're interested, and I'm sure everyone will agree that we need to keep you in mind when we vote on something.

Quote Originally Posted by JLuvs
    January would be fine with me. I love reading all types of books, so I am not that picky. I just got a new one for my birthday: Catch Me if You Can - The True Story of a Real Fake by Frank W. Abagnale with Stan Redding.
    Didn't Spielberg make that into a movie with DiCaprio and Tom Hanks?
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don’t always soften the bad things, but...the bad things don’t always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by phat32 View Post
    Didn't Spielberg make that into a movie with DiCaprio and Tom Hanks?
    Yes. Ever since I saw the movie I wanted to read the book.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

Quote Originally Posted by JLuvs View Post
    Yes. Ever since I saw the movie I wanted to read the book.
    I enjoyed the book. It's a fascinating story. I bought the new edition, but the book was actually published in 1980. I knew I'd read it before, but it was so long ago that I'd forgotten how it went.

Quote Originally Posted by phat32
    And I would have put Ellis on my list above, but I know you and AJane have disagreed on him in the past, no?
    I think AJane and I have similar taste in books. Neither of us cared for him, but I read Lunar Park not long ago and it's different than his earlier works. It was a little Peter Straubish to me. The writing was very good, and the subject matter more ironic than his earlier books. Very tongue in cheek. Still not one of my favorite authors, but at least this one didn't give me nightmares.

I've read Joan Didion before, but it's been long ago so I don't remember her writing style. Maybe a little contemplative, but I enjoy that sort of thing sometimes.
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

I would like to participate! I love reading.

If y'all are going to read The Year of Magical Thinking, count me in! I've been wanting to read it all year, and I'm pretty much counting on getting it for Christmas from my Mom since I've been nagging her about it for months now. If Santa should let me down, I should be able to find it just fine at a local or online bookstore. Is January 2 still the start date? And have we settled for Joan Didion for our first pick? I'd be happy to read anything off that list phat suggested. I love reading contemporary fiction, although I love the idea of a genreless book club where we can read and enjoy both contemporary fiction, classics, crime novels, sci-fi, poetry, non-fiction - anything that strikes our fancy, really.

Oh, and great initiative, phat! I've always wanted to be a part of a book club but my IRL friends seem to prefer less, um, bookish activities. Don't know what's wrong with them. It's great to be amongst fellow book geeks.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

I'm up for reading anything. Just let me know what is selected and I will for sure read it. I am not a super picky reader and just love reading so I will usually read something that is suggested!

A book idea from me is the book Brokeback Mountain, I know the movie is coming out soon but I heard the novel is supposed to be phenomenal!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast