+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Any Diana Gabaldon Fans?

Re: Any Diana Gabaldon Fans?

I felt guilty posting that because it picked up right afterwards. But it did seem to go on for quite a while there without anything actually happening.
    Count your blessings!

Kiz

I totally understand, Gutmutter. There are definitely some slow sections, but then bam, something really exciting happens, and all it forgiven..lol
    You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style. ~Humbert

Showtime did such a wonderful job with the series The Tudors, I would love it if the producers would take on the Outlander books as a series. With seven (possibly 8?) books, there would be more than enough for multiple seasons. I don't think a 2 hour movie could do any of the books justice.

This is by far my favorite series. I just started An Echo in the Bone, and when finished may have to dig out all my old books and start over at the beginning. I have already read it multiple times, but it never gets old.
    "I reject your reality and substitute my own!" Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Likes Scottish Vikings! talldede's Avatar

It's slow around here. News.

Outlander the Musical. This project has Diana Gabaldon's full blessing. I think it is a bit odd, as Jamie is incredibly tone deaf and non musical but oh well. Shows are being performed around Scotland currently.

Outlander - The Musical Music by Kevin Walsh Lyrics by Mike Gibb

I stopped TFC in the middle, finished my other favorite series, The Bronze Horseman's The Summer Garden, now ready to plunge back into the world of Jamie and Claire. I miss them!

Kiz

I picked up The Exile (Outlander graphic novel through Jamie's eyes) yesterday and tried to read through it slowly as it's as short as the other books are long. I very much enjoyed seeing the artist's view of the characters. The landscape drawings were gorgeous, and I thought many of the first pictures of Claire and Jamie were very good, however later on their looks fluctuated all over the place. Toward the end of the book, I had a hard time telling the men apart and had to rely on their clothing to differentiate one man from another. The main issue I had was that Claire was missing her wedding rings. I'd love to know if that was a goof or deliberate.

Kiz

Past edit time on previous post: The Exile is Jamie's side of the story, rather than through his eyes.

Kiz - Thank you for your feedback on The Exile. I have seen some drawings and have not been overly moved. What did you think of the story? Was there anything new?
    I live in the Phoenix area and DG had a huge book opening in Scottsdale last night, a friend attended and enjoyed every minute. As a Jamie Fraser fan, I may have to buy the book just to have it, but I'm sad over the lack of consistency in the drawings.

Kiz

Talldede, there's a few revelations in the book. A couple of new characters are introduced, you find out why Jaimie considered becoming a monk, and you learn a little more about Laoghaire's state of mind when she is told Claire is being tried as a witch and she knows it's due to her meddling. The new characters don't impact the Outlander story, so if you end up not reading The Exile, you really won't be missing anything essential. If you want to know about the characters in more detail, I'd be happy to PM the info to you. I just don't want to ruin the story for you if you think you might buy the book. One little tidbit, Murtagh is drawn much more attractively than I imagined.

Kiz - thank you for your reply. I'm intrigued enough to check it out. I adore this series and Jamie Fraser, what a character!

PWS
    FORT Fogey

I was in Norway and Denmark recently for the first time, and having read these books (and another series set earlier, around the time of the invasions of Scotland) gave me a whole different interest in the Vikings and where they went. There's even a Viking museum on the outskirts of Oslo where you can see some recovered Viking boats. Right across the street from the Thor Heyerdaal museum, so if you are interested in boats and long dangerous travel you can get a twofer!

+ Reply to Thread