+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 110
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Any Diana Gabaldon Fans?

  1. #71
    Likes Scottish Vikings! talldede's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    2,756

    Re: Any Diana Gabaldon Fans?

    Quote Originally Posted by PWS;3913320;
    When you think about it, how many 6'4" men could there have been in the 1700's? Even Vikings. The average man's height must have nearly a foot shorter, no? If the average man is 5'8" today, then maybe 5'6" then?
    I found this about life in the U.S. in 1804.

    The average height of Americans was about 5'8" tall, belying the old maxim of historic site docents who delighted in telling the public how "people were shorter in those days." The average height of Americans in the early 21st century is about 5'9". However, in 1800 Americans were taller than their European counterparts by about 2 to 3 inches. Heights in the army in 1804 ranged between 5'5" and 6'4".

    The average height for an early 17th-century English man was approximately 5 6". For 17th-century English women, it was about 5 ". While average heights in England remained virtually unchanged in the 17th and 18th centuries, American colonists grew taller. Averages for modern Americans are just over 5 9" for men, and about 5 3 " for women. The main reasons for this difference are improved nutrition, notably increased consumption of meat and milk, and antibiotics.

    I'm a very tall woman, so I love studying and talking heights. I think it is safe to say that Jamie would have been towering over other men in Scotland, in Paris and early America at 6'4". Claire at 5'6" mentioned in one of the books that she was as tall as most of the men.

    The casting of Jamie Fraser, and meeting the image many of us have in our minds is almost impossible. With that said, I found this actor yesterday, Philip Winchester, that I think looks the part. He is 6'1" with the long nose and blue eyes, a great bod and he is the right age. What do you think?

    Photos of Philip Winchester
    Photos of Philip Winchester
    Photos of Philip Winchester


    And I'd be great if this was a mini-series instead of a movie. That would work too. More Jamie!

  2. #72
    PWS
    PWS is offline
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    15,110

    Re: Any Diana Gabaldon Fans?

    Quote Originally Posted by talldede;3914594;
    I found this about life in the U.S. in 1804.

    The average height of Americans was about 5'8" tall, belying the old maxim of historic site docents who delighted in telling the public how "people were shorter in those days." The average height of Americans in the early 21st century is about 5'9". However, in 1800 Americans were taller than their European counterparts by about 2 to 3 inches. Heights in the army in 1804 ranged between 5'5" and 6'4".

    The average height for an early 17th-century English man was approximately 5 6". For 17th-century English women, it was about 5 ". While average heights in England remained virtually unchanged in the 17th and 18th centuries, American colonists grew taller. Averages for modern Americans are just over 5 9" for men, and about 5 3 " for women. The main reasons for this difference are improved nutrition, notably increased consumption of meat and milk, and antibiotics.

    I'm a very tall woman, so I love studying and talking heights. I think it is safe to say that Jamie would have been towering over other men in Scotland, in Paris and early America at 6'4". Claire at 5'6" mentioned in one of the books that she was as tall as most of the men.

    The casting of Jamie Fraser, and meeting the image many of us have in our minds is almost impossible. With that said, I found this actor yesterday, Philip Winchester, that I think looks the part. He is 6'1" with the long nose and blue eyes, a great bod and he is the right age. What do you think?

    Photos of Philip Winchester
    Photos of Philip Winchester
    Photos of Philip Winchester


    And I'd be great if this was a mini-series instead of a movie. That would work too. More Jamie!
    Thanks for the height info! Interesting how much shorter the women were. Brianna would have been a giantess in Scotland.
    I agree, this guy could do it with a dye job to get the flaming hair. Of course a few more inches would help, but they can give him shoes with thick bottoms....

  3. #73
    PWS
    PWS is offline
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    15,110

    Re: Any Diana Gabaldon Fans?

    Been working my way through the Lord John stories, novellas, novels, trying to stay in order!
    If anyone else has read them, and also watches Brothers & Sisters, did you start to envision "Scotty" in the role of Percy, John's stepbrother from his mother's remarriage? Same sweetness (well,
    Click to see Spoiler:
    not so much after he was caught cheating, but up until then. Currently he's in jail and all the eye witnesses are dead except John
    ). Anyway, very much enjoying them, although my current one has more sex scenes than I've seen in her work since the very early Jamie and Claire work. (No, not offensive, or at least I didn't think so, but definitely sex with the same detail about skin quality, hair against the light, etc. that you see in her heterosexual sex scenes.) Hopefully one of these days John gets to the US, although it seems to me he has to marry and maybe be widowed before that happens.

  4. #74
    Likes Scottish Vikings! talldede's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    2,756

    Re: Any Diana Gabaldon Fans?

    How are the Lord John books going PWS?

    I'm 300 pages into TFC. I'm liking it. It is a bit slower, less action, more character driven, but still verra good. Jamie is in fine form doing what he does best, being the leader of his men, women and children.

  5. #75
    FORT Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    2

    Re: Any Diana Gabaldon Fans?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3891264;
    I went to visit a friend last night who is going into a residential cancer care home for the duration of her treatment. I was taking her books and movies. She showed me that she was taking all her Gabaldon books to read again. They're huge! I remember years ago her telling me about this series and I recognized the name from here. I decided to download the first one on my Kindle. It was only $7.95. I don't have much time to read right now, but I think I may start this series. I have a lot of amazon credit points due me from my credit card, so I may get the whole series on my Kindle. Could someone list the books in order for me? Thanks.
    I haven't read beyond the above post so I don't know if your question was answered. Just in case, though, the following is in series order:
    1. Outlander
    2. Dragonfly in Amber
    3. Voyager
    4. Drums of Autumn
    5. The Fiery Cross
    6. A Breath of Snow and Ashes
    7. An Echo in the Bone

    And, The Exile retells the original Outlander novel from Jamie Fraser's point of view, revealing events never seen in the original story and giving readers a whole new insight into the Jamie-Claire relationship. Jamie's surreptitious arrival in Scotland at the beginning of the tale, his feelings about Claire, and much more - up to the point where Claire faces trial for witchcraft and must choose whether to return to her own century. This book will be released September, 2010.

    I love this series. In my opinion Gabaldon is among the best writers who has an interesting tale to tell.

  6. #76
    PWS
    PWS is offline
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    15,110

    Re: Any Diana Gabaldon Fans?

    Yikes... so the next book will NOT resolve the cliffhangers at the end of book # 7? Bummer.

    talldede---Finished the Lord John books a while ago....they're a mix of novels, novellas, sort of short stories....anyone starting them should try to read them in the right order as they make a lot more sense then. And that's NOT the order in which they were written! Lots of references to characters from previous books. On my Kindle version at least at the start the author explains the order in which they should be read. I think one short version was even pasted to the end of an Outlander book.
    Anyway, they were very interesting....and there were several interactions with the Fraser clan at different points. They are all set fairly early in Lord John's life as I recall....so mostly before the 2nd book begins (but not before the "flashbacks" in the 2nd book)...but if you know what is going to happen in the 2nd book or later it makes the Lord John books more meaningful---you meet some of the young adult characters in the later Outlander books as children for example, and get more insight into their characters.
    So a nice addition to the series. Definitely recommend them for someone in Fraser deprivation! And certainly some interesting insights into gay life in that era, and their version of don't ask, don't tell.

  7. #77
    Likes Scottish Vikings! talldede's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    2,756

    Re: Any Diana Gabaldon Fans?

    PWS - thank you for your detailed opinion on the Lord John books. I'm in the middle of reading TFC right now. Should I finish the series, then begin reading LJ? And can I trouble you to tell me in what order they should be read. Whenever I do a search, I read a spoiler.....eeeekkk....and I'm trying to avoid that. Thanks so much!

    talltank - I also initially thought The Exile was from Jamie's point of view, but lately, I've heard it is from Murtagh, which is disappointing to me. Amazon has the paragraph you wrote, but I can't remember where I saw it, on another site, it clearly stated Murtagh's pov.

    And welcome to FORT, I see you are a new poster. I agree, Diana Gabaldon is tops on my list for writers, I'm enjoying every detailed word!
    Last edited by talldede; 06-17-2010 at 11:29 AM.

  8. #78
    Me and my shadow Gutmutter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Always together.
    Posts
    12,916

    Re: Any Diana Gabaldon Fans?

    Ok, so I'm slogging through Dragonflies in Amber. The opening chapters were interesting (although I thought I had skipped a book somehow) and then they get situated in the main venue, but it has been slow going since. Nothing is happening! I'm about ready to give up. Somebody please tell me that things pick up at some point and there is plot development beyond the hospital and wine.
    Count your blessings!

  9. #79
    PWS
    PWS is offline
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    15,110

    Re: Any Diana Gabaldon Fans?

    Quote Originally Posted by talldede;3937823;
    PWS - thank you for your detailed opinion on the Lord John books. I'm in the middle of reading TFC right now. Should I finish the series, then begin reading LJ? And can I trouble you to tell me in what order they should be read. Whenever I do a search, I read a spoiler.....eeeekkk....and I'm trying to avoid that. Thanks so much!

    talltank - I also initially thought The Exile was from Jamie's point of view, but lately, I've heard it is from Murtagh, which is disappointing to me. Amazon has the paragraph you wrote, but I can't remember where I saw it, on another site, it clearly stated Murtagh's pov.

    And welcome to FORT, I see you are a new poster. I agree, Diana Gabaldon is tops on my list for writers, I'm enjoying every detailed word!
    I'm about to go out of town, but I'll try to dig up the order when I get back. At the end of one her books she says what the order is.... But yes, finish the series first!

  10. #80
    Kiz
    Kiz is online now
    FORT Fogey Kiz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    919

    Re: Any Diana Gabaldon Fans?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3968557;
    Ok, so I'm slogging through Dragonflies in Amber. The opening chapters were interesting (although I thought I had skipped a book somehow) and then they get situated in the main venue, but it has been slow going since. Nothing is happening! I'm about ready to give up. Somebody please tell me that things pick up at some point and there is plot development beyond the hospital and wine.

    I'm rereading the series, and other than To Kill a Mockingbird, I don't think I've ever read a book twice. I already can't believe how much I missed, or forgot, because of reading through them so fast. I read the first section of Outlander with a lump in my throat knowing the outcome for Claire and Frank.

    I'm part way through DIA, and I think most of the books have their slow, and sometimes tedious moments. For me, the only book I found difficult to continue reading was the first section of Drums of Autumn. The Gathering went on far too long with very little action and too many repetitive scenarios.

    I can't remember how the story picks up in DIA, but I had a lot of trouble putting it down. Even though I'm reading it a second time, I find that I plan to only read 15 or 20 mins, and the next thing I know, an hour has passed..oops. So, it's hard to say, we all have different tastes, but I found all the books captivating, even though there were sometimes a lull in the story.
    You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style. ~Humbert

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.