+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Any Diana Gabaldon Fans?

Likes Scottish Vikings! talldede's Avatar

Re: Any Diana Gabaldon Fans?

I just finished Drums of Autumn. I loved 90% of it, such a great story! I'll put spoiler tags on for those who've read it and want to discuss. Thanks.

Click to see Spoiler:
    I really enjoyed the mature love of Jamie and Claire. I was so pleased to see them setting up their homestead on Fraser's Ridge and settling into a peaceful existence with each other. I so love these two! I also enjoyed Brianna and Roger and their love story and was pleased to finally get some resolution. But, I disliked tremendously the confusion and misunderstandings that occurred that had Roger literally getting beat and tortured. I know everything can't be happy times all the time, but come on, he got no breaks ever and he was being so honorable. My heart broke for him. Frank was a good guy at the end. I like the letter he wrote and the fact that he put up that fake gravestone to alert and cause curiosity among Claire or Brianna. That was pure grace on his part. He was a very good man and father to Brianna.

Trying to decide if I'm going to jump into The Fiery Cross or take a break for now. These books are so consuming!

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Gut--as everyone says....the sex becomes much less frequent as the series goes on... well, for one thing they ARE older! Also, not to spoil it for you, but there's a BIG gap in their married life at one point. But also other aspects of their relationship become much more important. Another younger couple does enter the scene and you get some of their love life, but still, the sex scenes really decrease. However, there is some really violent sexual material (involving others--not between Claire and Jamie) that would be pretty upsetting to read I would think if you were 13 or so....it doesn't go on for long but it comes back in flashbacks, just as it does in "real life".
    As mrd said, the "lived" social history becomes much more important page wise. You see Claire trying to replicate some aspects of modern medicine with the technology of the 1700's, for example. While I enjoyed te first book as a romance a couple of steps above the average bodice ripper because of the well done history bits, the later books, to me, were much more enjoyable because you learned so much about day to day life.
    So look at the first book as a scene setter for the later ones. Re the 2nd book....although there was a slow start even that was interesting in terms of learning about how historical research could be done.
    I'm now done with all the published Claire and Jamie books...in a way, thank heavens, as they were even getting into my dreams I was spending so much time in the 1700's! I'm thinking about starting the Lord John series of related books....do people find them as gripping? Right after I finish The Girl Who Played with Fire....talk about gripping! Now if only I could keep all those Swedish names straight!

talldede---I'm warning you---they just suck you right in---After The Fiery Cross there's another and another.... I'd take a short break, cleanse your palate as it were and get caught up on work/household chores before you dive in again! Then enjoy!
    Last edited by PWS; 05-24-2010 at 05:10 PM.

Kiz

Quote Originally Posted by talldede;3911696;
    I just finished Drums of Autumn. I loved 90% of it, such a great story! I'll put spoiler tags on for those who've read it and want to discuss. Thanks.

Click to see Spoiler:
    I really enjoyed the mature love of Jamie and Claire. I was so pleased to see them setting up their homestead on Fraser's Ridge and settling into a peaceful existence with each other. I so love these two! I also enjoyed Brianna and Roger and their love story and was pleased to finally get some resolution. But, I disliked tremendously the confusion and misunderstandings that occurred that had Roger literally getting beat and tortured. I know everything can't be happy times all the time, but come on, he got no breaks ever and he was being so honorable. My heart broke for him. Frank was a good guy at the end. I like the letter he wrote and the fact that he put up that fake gravestone to alert and cause curiosity among Claire or Brianna. That was pure grace on his part. He was a very good man and father to Brianna.

Trying to decide if I'm going to jump into The Fiery Cross or take a break for now. These books are so consuming!
    Regarding Frank:

Click to see Spoiler:
    I felt very sympathetic toward Frank even with his multiple affairs and his sometimes shortcomings in his dealings with Claire. He was very much in love with Claire, and we really weren't exposed to the great loss he must have felt when she went missing. I can't imagine the hell he would have lived over those few years when she literally dropped off the face of the earth (at least his earth). Then, with Claire returning pregnant and in love with another man, even if that man seemed a figment of Claire's imagination, he still tried his best to stand by her.

He loved Brianna with his whole heart, and in the end, tried to support Claire in her quest to become a doctor. This, before it was quite common for wives to work outside the home, especially in such a demanding field. Obviously, Claire couldn't give Frank her whole heart after loving Jamie with such intensity, so I was sad for Frank that he didn't find another woman to love him and he her, rather than settling for a string of extra-marital affairs. I rarely sympathize with a cheating spouse, but this was such a complex set of circumstances, that I found myself very sad for the life Frank ended up living. On the other hand, had Claire not had the relationship with Jamie, Frank would have never had the wonderful gift of being a father to Brianna.

We never got to know Frank that well, but I imagine he would have remained faithful to and in love with Claire had she not fallen in love with Jamie. Of course this is only a novel and we can build the little world outside of Gabaldon's vision of her characters as we wish, but I believe that had Claire actually fought for Frank's love and given hers to him in return, the affairs would have ended and Frank would have been a loving husband as he was a father. Then again, this would have been a whole different and much shorter story, and I wouldn't have gotten sucked into reading these books hours on end...lol
    You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style. ~Humbert

PWS - thanks. I will take your advice. I'm going to do some lighter reading, then I'll dive into TFC.

Kiz - WOW! Thank you for your lengthy, well thought out reply. I agree with everything you said. Spoiler regarding DOA.
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Like you, I have sympathy for Frank. He did the best he could with the circumstances he was given. I agree had Claire tried to love him more, he would have returned that effort. Both Frank and Claire were living half lives for those 20 years, buoyed only by the love that had for Brianna. Frank knew he had could not have kids, and yet had the blessing of raising a child due to Claire and her infidelity. Tough issues all the way around. I appreciated Jamie at the end, after listening to Roger recite Frank's letter, him presenting Claire with the gold ring and when he slipped it on her finger, he said to the heaven's "Go in peace. " That was beautiful. Jamie realizes that without Frank doing what he did, Claire may never have found her way back to him.
    What did you think of the Roger and Bonnet storyline? I didn't like it at all. I thought the misunderstandings were unrealistic, a bit contrived, I cannot believe that when Jamie and Ian were beating up Roger, they would not have listened to him just a bit. Also, Roger just happens to land on Bonnet's boat of all the boats leaving for the new world?!?! Sometimes I feel the story gets a bit too far-fetched. Funny, I can buy the time travel and the supernatural aspects with no problem. That's just me. But, the writing is always superb and I do adore them as a whole!

Ad Astra Per Aspera homeontherange's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PWS;3911701;
    I'm now done with all the published Claire and Jamie books...in a way, thank heavens, as they were even getting into my dreams I was spending so much time in the 1700's! I'm thinking about starting the Lord John series of related books....do people find them as gripping?
    I relate to you here, PWS. I knew I needed a break when I dreamed about my best friend and she was dressed in old-time English finery and speaking in an English accent ...we're from Kansas!

I've wondered about the Lord John series also but I haven't read any of them yet. I'd be interested to hear the opinions of anyone who has.

Kiz

LOL..no, it's not just you talldede...I'm also able to suspend belief to allow for the time travel and later on in the books, a few other 'oddities' that are super natural in nature, but the constant coincidental encounters are what I find *unbelievable*..(lol). I know at times Gabaldon uses these coincidences to wrap up story lines, but they're just so many of them. I sort of reconcile them as being some sort of cosmic wrinkle in the lives of Claire, Jamie, et al.

I'm definitely, not a writer, but get the feeling that Gabaldon sees the big picture of how she wants to mover her characters along, and then fills in the pieces of the puzzle with sometimes questionable plots.
    Click to see Spoiler:
    The Bonnet/Roger misunderstanding is a good example. I don't think it plausible either that Roger wasn't able to defend himself against the accusations of rape at some point. And, when I realized he had been on Bonnet's boat of all boats, that was too much. I don't want to give too much away, but that wasn't the only coincidence to come out of that ride across the Atlantic.

The books are extremely entertaining, and I still love the big Scot. So, I'll suspend belief as necessary to enjoy the ride..

Quote Originally Posted by Kiz;3912632;
    The books are extremely entertaining, and I still love the big Scot. So, I'll suspend belief as necessary to enjoy the ride..
    Here Here! I adore the Great Viking Scot more than any other hero I've read in literature. He is the epitome of all the manly characteristics women hold dear. And sadly, very fictional.

Regarding DOA and continuing coincidences -
    Click to see Spoiler:
    It has to do with Morag Mackenzie I'm thinking. I need to go back and re-read that part, but Roger was startled by the realization of who that young, lice ridden girl was on the boat, fiercely protecting her child. Hmmmm......

Kiz - have you read all 7 books?

What are the opinions of the posters here on making a movie? While I'd love to see a movie made, I'm not sure they could do it justice. The casting of "Jamie" is paramount and they would have to get that absolutely spot on. And, call me crazy, but I don't see any 6'4" red haired Viking Scottish actors walking around.

homeontherange - I have friends who are working their way through the Lord John series and are enjoying them. I did have one friend read about them and learn some major spoilers about Echo in the Bone and so I'm staying away from any info. I'd say read the whole series first, then delve into LJ and his POV. For me, I hate looking for info on books and reading major plot points in the synopsis, grrrr!

Kiz

Quote Originally Posted by talldede;3912800;
    ...Regarding DOA and continuing coincidences -
    Click to see Spoiler:
    It has to do with Morag Mackenzie I'm thinking. I need to go back and re-read that part, but Roger was startled by the realization of who that young, lice ridden girl was on the boat, fiercely protecting her child. Hmmmm......

Kiz - have you read all 7 books?

What are the opinions of the posters here on making a movie? While I'd love to see a movie made, I'm not sure they could do it justice. The casting of "Jamie" is paramount and they would have to get that absolutely spot on. And, call me crazy, but I don't see any 6'4" red haired Viking Scottish actors walking around.
    I'm close to half way through the seventh book, and I'm really enjoying it. I'd say it's my third favorite after Outlander and Voyager.

As far as the spoiler, my lips are sealed, especially since you mentioned you don't like being spoiled. Unfortunately for me, I seek out spoilers...lol

I sort of hope they don't make an Outlander movie, although I'd watch it in a heartbeat. I like my vision of Jamie.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

I started the first of the Lord John books today...it deals with the time period
    Click to see Spoiler:
    that Jamie was working as a groom after being in prison
    . So far looking good, and I think you could read it after reading the 2nd book. Although John is a noble character DG still seems a little squeamish about dealing with a gay character...in some way I can't quite put my finger on.

When you think about it, how many 6'4" men could there have been in the 1700's? Even Vikings. The average man's height must have nearly a foot shorter, no? If the average man is 5'8" today, then maybe 5'6" then? Much less a woman like Brianna! When Claire is looking for Jamie in a crowd I always get the impression that Jamie stands out like a 6'4" man would today, but really it would be more like a 7' basketball player would today. If they were realistic about casting the rest of the actors they'd all be shrimps (of course a lot actors actually aren't very tall... e.g., Tom Cruise...so maybe it wouldn't be that hard).

+ Reply to Thread