+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Any Diana Gabaldon Fans?

Kiz

Re: Any Diana Gabaldon Fans?

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3891590;
    So this is going to be like when dozens of people told me to read the Clan of the Cave Bear series and so I did and loved them and they ended on a cliff-hanger and the last book wasn't written for, like, 10 more years!!!! That was a killer. But I did love those books. And I love books where I learn history in the guise of fiction, so I'm starting the first one this weekend. Thank you Kiz, for giving me the order.
    Gutmutter, I mentioned before that I'm really glad I just recently found out about the series. I can't imagine having started it back in '91. I feel a little guilty about wishing I didn't have to wait three years for the next book, but just a little..lol

I'm curious about Kindle. Once you download a book, are you able to keep it on your Kindle for good? Do you get a link to it or something once you pay for it? I really don't understand how it works.

----------------------------------------
    Homeontherange, are you enjoying the second read through? I can see myself re-reading Outlander sometime in the future for sure, but I'm not sure I'd get through the whole series again. Of course, I've been on a marathon session of reading these books, so I may feel differently a couple of years down the road and re-read them all. I want to get the audio version of Outlander too, mostly to hear the accents.
    Last edited by Kiz; 05-01-2010 at 09:54 PM.
    You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style. ~Humbert

I can hear everyone groaning as you ask the Kindle fanatic this question. Yes, once you buy a book on Kindle, it is stored on the Kindle. Right now I could pick up mine and choose from over 200 books to read instantly (and each one keeps your place and any bookmarks and/or highlights you've made). If you don't want to store that many on your Kindle, you can move them to your personal archive at Amazon, but you still have access to them from your Kindle with a couple of clicks. I also downloaded the free application to have access to them on my laptop (also some phones have this ap). If you have more questions, there is a Kindle thread where I've gushed on and on about a variety of my favorite things about the Kindle.
    Count your blessings!

Kiz

I understand your gushing, GM, I tend to go on too when I find something I adore too. I'm going to do a bit of research now, and I'll take a look at the Kindle thread too. I was first thinking you'd only have access to one book at a time, but after I read your comment, I thought there must be a way to store the books that had been purchased. I had no idea that the capacity on the Kindle itself would be so big though.

Likes Scottish Vikings! talldede's Avatar

myrosiedog - thank you for sharing the history of the Carolina states during the Revolutionary War, very interesting.

Gutmutter - you are going to love these books, they are very well written, very detailed, historically accurate with a hero, Jamie Fraser, who is equal parts witty, brave, adorable, sexy, heroic and committed. I love Jamie and Claire! Enjoy!

And, due to real life, I'm still waiting to read Drums of Autumn, but hopefully soon, I'll get back into the adventures of Jamie and Claire!

PWS
    FORT Fogey

I'm just starting the last one now....Revolution is in progress, but you see what a messy fuzzy business the start was. No sharp cut off before and after.
    mrd, you should suggest your museum carry the DG books in their store, and maybe have a mini-exhibit tying your Revolutionary era exhibits to them....with a "where Fraser's Ridge might have been" map!

OK, I have to ask before I continue any further in the series, but I'll put it in spoiler tags -
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Do they ever get past the honeymoon phase? I don't enjoy the ratio of one paragraph of plot to 2 pages of sex that has been going on since they got married.
    Count your blessings!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3908837;
    OK, I have to ask before I continue any further in the series, but I'll put it in spoiler tags -
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Do they ever get past the honeymoon phase? I don't enjoy the ratio of one paragraph of plot to 2 pages of sex that has been going on since they got married.
    Yes. Keep reading
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Kiz

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3908837;
    Click to see Spoiler:

I do want to warn you that there are adult themes running throughout the books. It does slow down quite a bit, as myrosiedog said. But, on the other hand, some of the mature situations are pretty brutal. If I had to give the movie ratings to the books, I'd say they're mostly a mixture of G/PG13 with some parts a definite R.

MRD

Gut the subsequent books are do not contain as much as the first one. In fact, the subsequent books actually get into the stuff I really like: the history. Well it's history to us, to them, they are living it. But that is what I enjoyed the most and the rest of the series is more into that.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Thank you both! I was starting to get a little aggravated, but I can ride it out.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread