+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Any Diana Gabaldon Fans?

MRD

Re: Any Diana Gabaldon Fans?

Quote Originally Posted by PWS;3889854;
    Yes, I was surprised at that also.
    I'm in the book after TFC now and there have been several more times where Claire is wearing her stays in everyday settings (it gets mentioned when the everyday setting turns tough and eventually the stays are digging into her).
    It's getting closer to the Revolution now and Jamie is trying to decide when to jump ship, from supporting the British as most of the Scots do, to supporting the Revolution. It's been explained that likely the Scots took the British side (even though the Brits ran them out of Scotland, so you'd think they'd hate them) because they had already lost everything being against the Brits in one uprising and weren't likely to risk it all again in a new one. Good point I thought. Of course that may change as we get closer to 1776... but it where things are now.
    They are really going to have to explain how all these great inventions of Claire's and Brianna's are going to disappear without a trace in "modern" history.
    Still as addictive as ever. Is this the last one out, or are there more already published? (Currently in Snow & Ashes) It looks like there is one more, Echo in the Bone... have I missed any?

The American Revolution was a minority revolution. 1/3 of the population supported it. 1/3 didn't support it and 1/3 did not choose sides.
    The Scots (this area where I live and which in reality isn't all that far from where Jaime and Claire "settled" is largely Scots decendents). The people of Scotland suffered greatly under the British after Culloden (MUCH worse than the South during Reconstruction) and the Scots feared reprisals like that if they did not remain loyal to the Crown this time. They had escaped from that once, they didn't want to go through it a 2nd time. This info comes from the book "The Scots-Irish in the Carolinas" by Billy Kennedy.

Part of the allure of these books for me is that her history is really accurate, she does so much research and it shows. (yes, I am a history GEEK! )
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Kiz

Still as addictive as ever. Is this the last one out, or are there more already published? (Currently in Snow & Ashes) It looks like there is one more, Echo in the Bone... have I missed any?
    Since I'm so late in the game in reading these books, I'm getting mine at the library.

You may already know this, but from what I understand, she's working on an 8th book to follow Echo in the Bone which will be out in approx three years. I also checked out The Outlandish Companion which is in the non-fiction section, which a guide to the series up to Drums of Autumn. There's also Lord John books that are supposed to be much shorter. I haven't gotten to those - yet.

I'm also interested in how the Scots might have turned their allegiance from Britain, and just how loyal those who had fought and lost loved ones during the wars in Scotland could have been in the first place. I never really considered how difficult that would have been for the established landowners to chose to fight on the side of the 'rebels'. After all they'd been through during the aftermath of losing to the British army, that had to have been a harrowing decision.

I read that some historical figures from American history (Ben Franklin for one) will be introduced in her next books. Maybe ol' Ben will borrow an idea or two from Claire.
    You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style. ~Humbert

MRD

In NC, but in particularly SC, the American Revolution was more of a Civil War. There were not that many "regular" American Army troops. in the Carolinas. It was mostly militia and it quite literally was brother against brother, neighbor agaist neighbor. The Brithish also used local militia troops on their side.
    The war in the Carolinas was bad. The Massacre at the Waxhaws was especially brutal. There were more battles and skimishes fought in SC than in any other state during the entire war.
    It was very, very divided here and the people acted on those divisions. The "frontier" at that time was close to the mountatins, what they called the "upcountry" and mostly small farmers who took up arms against each other because of their loyalties to one side or the other.
    But, a lot of the "mountain people" (most of them of Scots origin and descent), chose to stay out of it and stay up in the mountains.

What ended up turning the tide, so to speak was that Banastre Tarleton who led the Massacre at the Waxhaws which earned him the name Bloody Ban, was so brutal, that he ended up turning more people to the Patriots side. The British used Indians to also attack and slaughter, so their actions backfired on them here and they ended up converting more people to the American side than to their side. The battle of Cowpens was the battle that started Cornwallis' ultimate defeat at Yorktown. The British were heavily defeated at Cowpens and began their retreat through SC, NC and into VA ending up with their backs to the sea at Yorktown where they surrendered.

So Jaime and Claire were living in an area that would have been very similar to the upcountry in SC. The nearest I can tell from the way the books read, is that they were not far from what is now Asheville, NC which is very close to the NC/SC border and very similar things were going on there as well as here.

Kiz

^Thank you so much for providing more detailed information about the war and it's impact on the Carolinas, mrd. That's all very interesting and I really appreciate you taking the time to share it.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Kiz;3890654;
    ^Thank you so much for providing more detailed information about the war and it's impact on the Carolinas, mrd. That's all very interesting and I really appreciate you taking the time to share it.
    Sorry, I tend to go on. I work for a history museum in SC. We have a huge Revolutionary war gallery and many programs on the Revolution in this area.

I think that's one of the reasons I've enjoyed the books so much. Other than they are so good. They are pretty historically accurate and they are in the same general vicinity of the country I live in.

Kiz

^ I've really enjoyed reading the historical information you've shared. I live not too far away from Williamsburg, VA, and my husband and I love spending an afternoon just walking through the colonial village. Jamestown is nearby, as well.

I finished The Fiery Crosstoday and am browsing The Outlandish Companion. My husband is out of town for a couple of days, so I'm sure I'll start A Breath of Snow and Ashesright away, even though I should take a breather between books.
    Last edited by Kiz; 04-30-2010 at 08:43 PM.

I went to visit a friend last night who is going into a residential cancer care home for the duration of her treatment. I was taking her books and movies. She showed me that she was taking all her Gabaldon books to read again. They're huge! I remember years ago her telling me about this series and I recognized the name from here. I decided to download the first one on my Kindle. It was only $7.95. I don't have much time to read right now, but I think I may start this series. I have a lot of amazon credit points due me from my credit card, so I may get the whole series on my Kindle. Could someone list the books in order for me? Thanks.
    Count your blessings!

Kiz

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3891264;
    I went to visit a friend last night who is going into a residential cancer care home for the duration of her treatment. I was taking her books and movies. She showed me that she was taking all her Gabaldon books to read again. They're huge! I remember years ago her telling me about this series and I recognized the name from here. I decided to download the first one on my Kindle. It was only $7.95. I don't have much time to read right now, but I think I may start this series. I have a lot of amazon credit points due me from my credit card, so I may get the whole series on my Kindle. Could someone list the books in order for me? Thanks.
    Best wishes to your friend. I hope she's doing well with her treatments.

Here are the books in order:

Outlander (1991)
    Dragonfly in Amber (1992)
    Voyager (1994)
    Drums of Autumn (1997)
    The Fiery Cross (2001)
    A Breath of Snow and Ashes (2005)
    An Echo in the Bone (2009)
    8th Book (2013?)

The Outlandish Companion (1999)

Then, if you haven't gotten enough, there's a short series based on one of the main characters, Lord John, and I believe she's writing books based on some other characters: Jamie's parents and Raymond. I just hope she finishes the 8th book first. From what I've read, there's several major cliff hangers at the end of An Echo in the Bone, and several people have commented that they wish they would have held off reading it until closer to the time the 8th book is due to be published.

Ad Astra Per Aspera homeontherange's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3890967;
    Sorry, I tend to go on. I work for a history museum in SC. We have a huge Revolutionary war gallery and many programs on the Revolution in this area.

I think that's one of the reasons I've enjoyed the books so much. Other than they are so good. They are pretty historically accurate and they are in the same general vicinity of the country I live in.
    Oh, don't be sorry! One of the reasons I love these books so much is that I love history. I've been inspired to learn more about Scottish AND American history from these books. I always find myself picking out something from one of the books to learn more about! I know they are fiction but there is so much historical detail in them, it makes them even more interesting.
    I'm re-reading all of them before I move on to the latest one, An Echo in the Bone ...currently on The Fiery Cross.

So this is going to be like when dozens of people told me to read the Clan of the Cave Bear series and so I did and loved them and they ended on a cliff-hanger and the last book wasn't written for, like, 10 more years!!!! That was a killer. But I did love those books. And I love books where I learn history in the guise of fiction, so I'm starting the first one this weekend. Thank you Kiz, for giving me the order.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread