+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Any Diana Gabaldon Fans?

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Re: Any Diana Gabaldon Fans?

Well, I'm now with them in America, about 10 years before the Revolution. That'll make Jamie over 50 during the Revolution, maybe too old to fight? Although I can see him leading men again. Assuming they survive the alleged fire of course.
    Given Claire's feelings about slavery and what she knows of the Civil War, about 100 years from the time they are in now I'm a bit surprised they didn't head further north to homestead. Surely she realizes that the descendants of all of Jamie's followers will wind up on what she will consider the wrong side of that war. Of course then they couldn't have all the slavery related drama. Wish they could live until Oregon Trail times!
    Very hard to put down. Although I haven't gotten to The Fiery Cross yet... But I'll push through that having been encouraged by you all that the series gets better again.

Likes Scottish Vikings! talldede's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PWS;3869471;
    Well, I'm now with them in America, about 10 years before the Revolution. That'll make Jamie over 50 during the Revolution, maybe too old to fight? Although I can see him leading men again. Assuming they survive the alleged fire of course.
    Given Claire's feelings about slavery and what she knows of the Civil War, about 100 years from the time they are in now I'm a bit surprised they didn't head further north to homestead. Surely she realizes that the descendants of all of Jamie's followers will wind up on what she will consider the wrong side of that war. Of course then they couldn't have all the slavery related drama. Wish they could live until Oregon Trail times!
    Very hard to put down. Although I haven't gotten to The Fiery Cross yet... But I'll push through that having been encouraged by you all that the series gets better again.
    Aren't these books addicting?!? I've read the first 3, took a break and read a few others, starting #4 tonight. So all I know is Jamie and Claire are in Georgia.

And......I was poking around IMDb and the movie "Outlander" is in pre-production. I was having a long talk with hubby over this, I think these will make incredibly exciting movies if and only if they get the casting spot on. Jamie is such a huge personality in physical presence and leadership and looks......they really need to find someone spectacular. He has to be very tall, I think over 6'2", fair, blue eyes, they can dye the hair copper, but he's a Scottish Viking, so the actor needs to embody that.

Any thoughts on who could play the one and only Jamie? Claire? I think the actor needs to be 20-30, but no older. Jamie is 23 in Outlander.

I think this actor could fit the bill as Jamie. Chris Hemsworth. He's 6'3", very well built, he's got the blue eyes. What do you think? I don't know anything about his acting, just going on looks right now.

Chris Hemsworth

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by talldede;3869534;
    I think this actor could fit the bill as Jamie. Chris Hemsworth. He's 6'3", very well built, he's got the blue eyes. What do you think? I don't know anything about his acting, just going on looks right now.

Chris Hemsworth
    Apparently he was on Dancing with the Stars?
    He just played "Thor" so guess he has that larger presence....

Kiz

Thanks, talldede, for pointing out this thread to me.

I just started Drums of Autumn, and I find myself a bit sad that I can't travel through time and start all over fresh with Outlander. While I'm still very much enjoying the book series, I find myself wistful for the period when Claire and Jamie first found one another in Scotland. Their reunion in Dragonfly in Amber was pretty darn amazing too. Aw, I guess there's no turning back time. I'm kind of glad to find out that some of you don't find The Fiery Cross as riveting, because I have to get some work done, and I can't put these books down! At least I was able to read Voyager while on vacation.
    ---------------
    Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3797473;
    The only thing that really irks me about the last one is that I have to wait 3 more years to find out what happened. The ending REALLY leaves you hanging in this one.
    I didn't know there was going to be another book in the series...but THREE YEARS, and there's a cliff hanger? I was just happy that I didn't know about this series until now, so that I didn't have to wait between books, at least so I thought. I am not a good waiter.
    You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style. ~Humbert

Quote Originally Posted by Kiz;3875969;
    I just started Drums of Autumn, and I find myself a bit sad that I can't travel through time and start all over fresh with Outlander. While I'm still very much enjoying the book series, I find myself wistful for the period when Claire and Jamie first found one another in Scotland. Their reunion in Dragonfly in Amber was pretty darn amazing too. Aw, I guess there's no turning back time. I'm kind of glad to find out that some of you don't find The Fiery Cross as riveting, because I have to get some work done, and I can't put these books down! At least I was able to read Voyager while on vacation.
    ---------------
    I loved Voyager and still get emotional when I think of their reunion. I have Drums of Autumn, but because these books are so consuming I'm taking a breather and will read it later. I've heard it's fantastic, but may stop there, we'll see.

Kiz

Quote Originally Posted by talldede;3877714;
    I loved Voyager and still get emotional when I think of their reunion. I have Drums of Autumn, but because these books are so consuming I'm taking a breather and will read it later. I've heard it's fantastic, but may stop there, we'll see.
    I don't know how she keeps doing it, but Drums of Autumn is spectacular. I'm about half way through...trying to pace myself (fat chance)...and so far I've been mesmerized.

One of the draws for me to DoA is that I have a grandmother 5 generations back (Phoebe Tucker Cunningham), who was taken by a group of American Indians from her mountain homestead (her four children were killed during the raid), and held captive for almost approx 3 years from 1775-1778. Simon Girty arranged her ransom, and she returned home to her husband, and they eventually had seven more children. I've always tried to imagine what it would be like to develop an 18th century homestead, and what her life might have been like living in a remote part of the mountains. So, I'm simply fascinated by Gabaldon's story telling during this period (although DoA place some 20 years earlier).

Quote Originally Posted by Kiz;3878565;
    I don't know how she keeps doing it, but Drums of Autumn is spectacular. I'm about half way through...trying to pace myself (fat chance)...and so far I've been mesmerized.

One of the draws for me to DoA is that I have a grandmother 5 generations back (Phoebe Tucker Cunningham), who was taken by a group of American Indians from her mountain homestead (her four children were killed during the raid), and held captive for almost approx 3 years from 1775-1778. Simon Girty arranged her ransom, and she returned home to her husband, and they eventually had seven more children. I've always tried to imagine what it would be like to develop an 18th century homestead, and what her life might have been like living in a remote part of the mountains. So, I'm simply fascinated by Gabaldon's story telling during this period (although DoA place some 20 years earlier).
    Thanks Kiz for sharing about your family history. Fascinating! And I'm glad to hear DoA is awesome, I have heard the same thing. Can not wait to read it.

I am truly enjoying the genre of historical fiction once again. It gives me the opportunity to delve into a period of time in history and learn about it through the characters eyes and I'm riveted. Of course, I enjoy a grand love story as well.

I'm going to start a new thread, but I'm reading another sweeping historical fiction right now, The Bronze Horseman, by Paullina Simons. It's amazing! Set in 1941 Leningrad (St. Petersburg) and the German blockade of that city.

Kiz

My husband is ready to banish either me or the Outlander series to the wilds because I can't put these books down. I had also gotten away from reading historical fiction until just recently. I really enjoyed The Help, which you might have already read since it was a wildly popular book recently. Another, that you might find interesting is Bernhard Schlink's, The Reader, which takes place during the Holocaust. I believe there was a movie made based on the book, but I've not seen it.

I will definitely be adding The Bronze Horseman to my reading list.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiz;3880359;
    My husband is ready to banish either me or the Outlander series to the wilds because I can't put these books down. I had also gotten away from reading historical fiction until just recently.

I will definitely be adding The Bronze Horseman to my reading list.
    The Help is on my list. Saw The Reader movie, it was excellent. Your hubby sounds just like mine, I can't put my books down for long.

I just finished The Bronze Horseman, it is INCREDIBLE, get it!!! Be warned though, while TBH is easy to find, the other 2 in the trilogy are out of print, so harder to find. I bought mine used on Amazon. The other two titles are Tatiana and Alexander and The Summer Garden.

+ Reply to Thread