+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Any Diana Gabaldon Fans?

Re: Any Diana Gabaldon Fans?

I also LOVED these books, all the way up to The Fiery Cross, which I lost interest in (sound familiar?) I never even bought the one after that (A Breath of Snow and Ashes, I think?)

Anyhow, my absolute favorite was the first one, Outlander. I read it twice. Loved Dragonfly in Amber, also.

MRD

The only thing that really irks me about the last one is that I have to wait 3 more years to find out what happened. The ending REALLY leaves you hanging in this one.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Likes Scottish Vikings! talldede's Avatar

I just started Dragonfly in Amber. It's bittersweet thus far. Claire is in Inverness in 1968 with her daughter Brianna. Roger Wakefield, the historian she hired to look into the men at the battle of Culloden has just found old newspaper accounts of Claire returning to Inverness after a 3 year mysterious disappearance.

Well, DANG! She only got to love on Jamie for 3 years, say it isn't so????? And, who is this Roger Wakefield? Hmmmm......it's good, but right at this moment, I mourning Jamie and the wild Scottish Highlands in the 1740's. Sigh.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by talldede;3797547;
    I just started Dragonfly in Amber. It's bittersweet thus far. Claire is in Inverness in 1968 with her daughter Brianna. Roger Wakefield, the historian she hired to look into the men at the battle of Culloden has just found old newspaper accounts of Claire returning to Inverness after a 3 year mysterious disappearance.

Well, DANG! She only got to love on Jamie for 3 years, say it isn't so????? And, who is this Roger Wakefield? Hmmmm......it's good, but right at this moment, I mourning Jamie and the wild Scottish Highlands in the 1740's. Sigh.
    Hang in there. You'll see Jamie again. And Roger becomes a main character.

Thanks myrosiedog! That's reassuring. I cannot imagine the author taking away the main character other than Claire, so soon.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by talldede;3797640;
    Thanks myrosiedog! That's reassuring. I cannot imagine the author taking away the main character other than Claire, so soon.
    There are now 7 books in the series, so don't think it would have worked had she taken away the main characters. Just keep reading. All will be revealed eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3797654;
    There are now 7 books in the series, so don't think it would have worked had she taken away the main characters. Just keep reading. All will be revealed eventually.
    This is REALLY good! Ok, Claire just revealed all to Roger and Brianna. Now, we are back to 1744 and Jamie and Claire are traveling through France.

What I am loving about these books are the possibilities. I am constantly going over and over in my mind who and what and where and when and how. It's so incredibly entertaining!

PWS
    FORT Fogey

I really have to thank FORT---I would not have realized this was a series if it wasn't for you all. I've just finished Amber and started the next one--I'm guessing she goes back through the rocks somehow....hopefully Jamie is 20 years older as well--she was already a little older than him! In Amber I kept being startled when she would point out he was in his early 20's, he seemed so much more mature.
    I'm guessing that Brianna and Gellis spawn also go back ... Had to work this pm so left the Kindle in the car so I wouldn't be tempted---but here I am writing about it instead!

Can someone answer something for me---I read the first book a LONG time ago---and I think I'm mixiing it up with another--was there ever a time when Jamie was in modern times, walking along the hills with her looking down at cars and trains on the road? I mean other than the sort of ghostly presence ...

a jumble of useless facts gracie's Avatar

No, Jamie can't go through the stones. He tried before he sent Claire back from Culloden.

I've read all of the Outlander books so far, just to find out what happens next. This last one really leaves you hanging, so it better not be three years before another one comes out. Sometimes you can find her works in progress on-line at her web site. The bits don't always make it into the next book, but they sometimes fill in the gaps.

While your waiting for the next Outlander you could try her Lord John books. It's the same era from a different point of view.
    There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home. -Ken Olsen

PWS
    FORT Fogey

So I guess one can never go forward of one's "own" time?

Do we ever find out what the "rules" of the stones are? If so, don't tell me what they are, I"ll wait, I'm just curious as to whether we ever find out.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast