Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Who is your favorite author?

FORT Fogey

Re: Who is your favorite author?

Nick Hornby
    Khaled Hosseini
    Beverly Cleary
    Tawni O'Dell

Of that group, Nick Hornby is the one who I tend to get angry at for not writing as quickly as I read. I've read all his books now, so I get annoyed at him for not giving me more.

My favorite genre is mystery and I have numerous faves there (Margolin,Coben, Kellerman, Rule, Fairstein, Connelly, Patterson, Lehane, Deaver, Sandford, et al. )
    However, I'd have to say that Joyce Carol Oates and Joan Didion are 2 of my all time favorite writers. They're both great wth prose and extremely prolific.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

FORT Fogey

Noraility--hi. Looking at your list we hae some authors in common--I too love mystery/suspense.

Have you tried Richard North Patterson and John Lescroart and Michael Connelly? I recommend all of them. Lescroart has a series about a lawyer in San Fransisco that I like a lot. Connelly has an excellent series about a homicide detective in Los Angeles.

Greg Iles, Robert Crais, David Baldacci, James Grippando
    Debbie MacComber, Luanne Rice, Susan Wiggs, Iris Johansen, Karen Robards ,Elizabeth Lowell
    Kristin Hannah, Nicholas Sparks

It changes for me all the time, most recently: Charlaine Harris, Stephenie Meyer, Julie Garwood, & Jayne Ann Krentz. But the best fantasy award IMO goes to JK Rowling.
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

Occasional commenter WrigleyDogA2's Avatar

I'm not sure that I have a favorite author. I have many! In no particular order, these are the people that I have read everything, and would read anything they write:
    James Alan Gardner
    Gabriel Garcia Marquez
    JK Rowling
    Elizabeth Kostova (even though she's only only written 1 book, that I know of)
    Phillip Pullman

Quote Originally Posted by steppemaster;3380889;
    Noraility--hi. Looking at your list we hae some authors in common--I too love mystery/suspense.

Have you tried Richard North Patterson and John Lescroart and Michael Connelly? I recommend all of them. Lescroart has a series about a lawyer in San Fransisco that I like a lot. Connelly has an excellent series about a homicide detective in Los Angeles.
    Yes, I have Connelly on my list, too. I love Harry Bosch and I've seen Connelly in person many, many times. He used to be a crime reporter for the LA Times. I have enjoyed all the Richard North Patterson's that I've read; just haven't come across his new ones at the library as of late. I'm not familiar with John Lescroat, so I really appreciate the recommendation.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

I love Fantasy fiction, and my all-time favorite author is Patricia McKillip. Her writing is so lyrical and mesmerizing. I read her Riddlemaster trilogy when I was a teenager, and have read it every couple of years since (and believe me, that's a long time ago!). It hasn't gotten old or stale, if anything it's gotten better with each read. She has a number of other novels out as well, that are all beautiful in their different ways.

Jane Austen is my other favorite, as well as Douglas Adams, Neil Gaiman and JK Rowling.

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

I love fantasy fiction as well and my favorite author is Terry Goodkind. His Sword of Truth series was brilliant and the best part was that it was "smart" reading-- definitely not geared towards teens or anything-- and I loved that. I often had a hard time reading before bed b/c I'd find myself answering lots of questions he posed while trying to go to sleep.

My other favorites are David Eddings (his Belgariad and Mallorean series, not the more recent books he cowrote with his wife) and the queen, JK Rowling. The best part about those authors is that I can go without reading the books/series for years and then pick them up again, and I love them just as much the second/third time as I did the first.

My guilty pleasure author is definitely Stephanie Meyer. I feel as though I shouldn't like a teenie bopper series so much, but I really did.
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

FORT Fogey

I rediscoverred PD James this past week. I hadn't read her for some time and hadn't picked up one of her books.

But having been in a really good used book store recently I decided to pick up some authors I hadn't done anything with in a long time.

I'm reading her "Death In Holy Orders" and loving it. She has such a delicate touch with character delineation and in how she describes th setting of ehr story.

This one is about a seminary for Anglican priests where one of the young seminarians has been discoverd dead on the beach (an English beach that is--a very windswept and perilous place--not the least bit sunny at all)

The investigator turns out to have spent several summers there when he was a teen so he is going back to a part of his life he hadn't thought about for a very long time.

It is a good combination.

It is slow-paced though and long--and I don't recemmend it for those who like to speed throught modern procedurals. It is for people like me who had to be in bed with a bad cold and had nothing bu time to appreciate PD James' talent and work.

+ Reply to Thread