+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Who is your favorite author?

FORT Newbie
    My favorite is without a dout Stephenie Meyer. Twilight is my favorite book she wrote.

I really Like Stephen King!
    Check out my avatar It's Chad Michael Murray!

Milan Kundera - His books are fascinating. I find myself reading his books over and over again.

Jane Austen - Comfort reading.

Alison Weir - I have a rather large collection of European history books and biographies. She has written many books on Henry VIII, Elizabeth, Eleanor of Aquitaine, etc. Her books aren't necessarily my favorite individual books from the collection but she has the ability to create a very clear storyline which makes the topic read like fiction. So often, history books are a chore to read even though they are following amazing people and events.

What? I never replied to this?

Yeah, I could never choose one. I love Jane Austen for her sly wit, Stephen King for his sheer suck-you-in storytelling, Jasper Fforde for his absurdism, J.K. Rowling for her ingenuity, Carl Hiaason for just fun witty middle-brow mysteries, Neil Gaiman for his fantasticism (is that a word?), C.S. Lewis for my childhood, and a slew of others.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Quote Originally Posted by DramaQueenBER View Post
    My favorite is without a dout Stephenie Meyer. Twilight is my favorite book she wrote.
    Good choice, she's excellent! I love that book as well, I keep re-reading it. I'm probably going to wear out my copy soon.

I'm a Hiaasen fan, too. I used to be a major Stephen King fan, but he lost me around "Gerald's Game". I like different authors for different things...for chick lit I love Sophie Kinsella, her books are side-splitting. For take my mind away, I like Hiaasen or Jimmy Buffett. (yes, THAT Jimmy Buffett) I enjoy several of Michael Crichton's, and the collaborations between Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child. Also, JK Rowling...I can't get enough of Harry Potter.

Classics I love AA Milne (Winnie the Pooh!) Beatrix Potter and Mark Twain. OH, and of course C.S. Lewis, Lewis Carroll. A modern classic...Cleveland Amory.

I used to love Barbara Kingsolver (The Bean Trees, Animal Dreams, The Poisonwood Bible) but I feel she has done downhill.

I forgot to mention Lilian Jackson Braun (but I think it's a ghostwriter now?) who started the whole "The Cat Who..." series. VERY light mysteries, but for a cat lover, a nice escape for an hour or so.
    Always looking for cat treats!

Breathe out, so I can breathe you in...

Quote Originally Posted by suncat7 View Post
    I forgot to mention Lilian Jackson Braun (but I think it's a ghostwriter now?) who started the whole "The Cat Who..." series. VERY light mysteries, but for a cat lover, a nice escape for an hour or so.
    Oh Sunny, say it isn't so!

Realistically speaking though, it has to be. I don't think her bio picture has changed for the past 20 years, and she looked about 70 then. Ko-Ko and Yum-Yum must've gone on to kitty heaven by now, but I still love to read about their adventures.
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

ONE!? JUST.....ONE

I could no more chose one favourite author than I could chose "one favourite "ingredient" of a soup!"

If this is based on "Authors books most read, over and over", then hands down, it's J.K. Rowling. Her books bring me peace and drama simultaneously. I never tire of them, they are so beaten down that they look like I found them in a dust bin, but I love every creased page and wrinkle that I placed in the cover. I've probably re-read the series no less than 10 times, certain books countless times.

Favourite Classic Authors: Sinclair Lewis, Upton Sinclair, Willa Cather, James Fennimore Cooper, Laura Ingalls Wilder and Charles Dickens.

Favourite Sci-Fi Authors: Orson Scott Card for his ENDER'S GAME novels; ANY Phillip K. Dick, Isaac Asimov, Jules Verne, Robert Jordon and his WHEEL OF TIME series, C.S. Lewis, and J.R.R. Tolkein.

Contemporary Authors: Annie Proulx, John Grissom, Christopher Golden, Michael Crichton, and Patricia Cornwell.

These are the ones that I've read every book, every minor work, biographies and any other bit of knowledge. I'm sure I left some out, but not many.
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar
    J.K. Rowling

Also love Dean Koontz, Robin Cook, Jackie Collins, and Sidney Sheldon.

Dean Koontz is my all-time favorite - I've read or am reading everything he's written (Forever Odd right now).

I also love John Sandford. I've read everything he's written as well.

I'd add Vince Flynn and Kyle Mills among my favorites, and I'm also fond of old Stephen King, Robert McCammon, and Andy McNab.

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by DramaQueenBER View Post
    I would deffinatly have to agree. It's amazing. She's amazing. I love a good vampire book.

+ Reply to Thread