+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: The Book That Changed Your Life

The book Foxfire changed my life because it made me realize how all women/girls should stick together. (no offense to any males )
    Rusty Nail Candy Cane

FORT Newbie
    The Friends of Eddie Coyle changed my life.

The Bible.

elk
    This is a really interesting thread!

Books have always been such a big part of my life; some books helped me look at things in a different way at different points in my life. They are:

Are You There God, It's Me, Margaret
    Harriet the Spy
    To Kill A Mockingbird
    (this one has an effect on me each time I reread it as well!)
    Catcher in the Rye (helped me develop a style of writing, since evolved)
    I Never Promised You a Rose Garden
    Go Ask Alice
    Carrie
    (underdogs gone wild, lol)
    The Stand
    The World According to Garp
    She's Come Undone

When my son was diagnosed with autism, there were several books on that subject that helped. The one that most definitely changed my life and how I help my son is:

Let Me Hear Your Voice by Catherine Maurice

A few years after that, The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nightime provided me with tears and laughter with respect to autism.
    "I'll meet you at the place near the thing that we went to that time." - Albert Brooks to Holly Hunter in Broadcast News

Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand made me think.

The Stand by Stephen King really started my love of horror, at least well written horror.

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte began my romance with romance novels.

I also love suspense novels, but can't remember a particular novel or author who started my love of the genre.

I can't pinpoint a book because there is not such thing, for me at least, but I did read almost everything Dumas pere and son have ever written as I was growing up and I loved them and still do. My early book reading was very, very heavy on the classics and to this day it's what I prefer.

I remember reading lots of poetry and plays too growing up, interspersed with anthologies of fairy tales from all over the world and those had a big impact. Needless to say I was stunned when I first saw the Disnified versions of Cinderella and Snow White. Let me tell you that lots, and I mean lots, got lost in the translation...
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

The book that changed my life was Gone With the Wind I read it in the 8th grade and have read it once a year since. It never gets old and with every stage of my life I find something new to relate to. I quote it constantly and until recently I seriously wanted to marry Rhett Butler.

Quote Originally Posted by SarahSonnen;2203507;
    The Friends of Eddie Coyle changed my life.
    Care to share any details as to how or why?

Pretty please? I'm really curious.

I wasn't even aware it was a book as well as a movie.

wow, I just found this thread... ok I'm not very adventurous..

I had forgotten My Side of the Mountain I was entranced with it growing up in the woods in Connecticut. I read all of her other works too. I was a certified book worm. I would checkout as many books at a time as they would let me and read all day and night. I loved A Wrinkle in Time and read all of that series as well.

In HS i took a science fiction class and read Stranger in a Strange Land and Dune, 1984 and Brave New World... all had a huge impact.

But the book I read and reread and reread and never failed to laugh myself silly was Red Sky at Morning It was sad, but funny and I could relate, even though it was written in a period I did not experience.

I loved books about "magic" of any kind. I guess it was an escape. That is why I love the Harry Potter series too.

FORT Fan
    Northeast Mississippi, sitting by the lake...

Re: The Book That Changed Your Life

It would be hard to pick just one book, because there are so many I enjoyed. Anything by Ray Bradbury, such as Dandelion Wine, Martian Chronicles, Farenheit 451, Something Wicked This Way Comes, or his short stories, and the many titles by John Steinbeck greatly influenced me.

1984 was also a profound book for me.

Even though sci fi is one of my favorite topics, I think reference books like encyclopedias and the World Book of Facts influenced me the most. I was a Reference Librarian for 11 years, and before that a Science Teacher. These days, I do a job that combines a bit of all these skills, so I guess all that reading paid off for me.
    Just take a breath and relax...everything's going to be just fine...

+ Reply to Thread