+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: The Book That Changed Your Life

Quote Originally Posted by RBmumsie
    I was raised in a very conservative, religous household. At 14 I read Stranger In A Strange Land by Heinlein. I was never the same again.

I remember that book well. I always believed the "Stranger" to be the archtype for Jesus Christ.

FORT Fan
    Arthur Janov's "Primal Scream" taught me how to overcome my abusive childhood and taught me how to be a mother without having a role model.

Sorry to get so "heavy", but without that book I honestly don't think I'd be alive.

I don't want to say that the following to books changed my life, but they sure made me put things in perspective.

Hannah's gift by Maria Houdsen is about Maria's daughter Hannah who got cancer when she was three. I must say that this little girl is one of the most bravest and sincere persons I've ever read about and the book touched me deeply. Even tough it's a book about such a sad subject it really is a salute to life.

The other one is The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho about a young boy who goes about to find a treasure. It's about following your dreams and realizing what your dreams actually are.

I recommend both of these books, obviously, and I hope that someone else will find joy in them.

Feel the fear and do it anyway

The book that changed my life was called "Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway." I actually never read it! I didn't want to dilute the empowerment the title held for me. For months I kept it in my library (aka my bathroom) and would stare at it and contemplate what it meant. That book defined my modus operandi. Because of it I was able to quit my job and start my own business. Because of it I make an effort to recognize fear (in all it's pervasive permutations) and remove its influence on my decisions. It's hard sometimes, fear is subtle, but I am always rewarded -- eventually.

Feel the fear and do it anyway.
    It is my call to arms.

There are many books that have impressed me enough to make a change, for different reasons, but mostly in literary sense; they all influenced my own writing style. First, J.R.R. Tolkien's works opened this great fantasy world for me, I am a fan for life. Second I absolutely loved Andre Brink's writing style in An Instant in the Wind. Such a beautiful beautiful book and what command of the concept of time. Fantastic. Third the Finnish poet Lassi Nummi opened my eyes to poetry in my native language. His poems were pure music to my soul.
    ps. This is just my opinion in the matter.

Hands Down to Kill A Mokingbird (It gave me a new lease on life)
    Check out my avatar It's Chad Michael Murray!

My mom died-in a very tragic and sudden way when I was 14 years old and I read this book the following year titled, "Motherless Daughters." I forget the name of the author but the book helped me a great deal.
    I have learned that gifts don't always come wrapped and treasures aren't always buried.
    - Bob Perks

FORT Newbie
    There are two for me. 'Go Ask Alice' was the first. It's the diary of a girl who experiments with drugs and becomes addicted several times if I'm correct. And the latest one is more of an inspiration changer. After reading 'Twilight' I have become very attracted to the thought of writing a vampire book myself. I've always loved vampires, but I never could get my thoughts organized enough to write about them. Hopefully there will be a change in the winds for me.

Fort Member
    TwilightxDawns, I had completely forgotten about Go Ask Alice until I saw your thread and all these memories came back about tainted brownies and bad friends, the ending had me in tears, I was amazed after all these years I still had the memories of the emotions I felt reading it. I think my mother brought me the book when I was about 13/14 in a hope of putting me off trying drugs. At the time it was thought to be extracts from a real dug addicted teenagers diary but much like "A million little pieces" it was found to be almost complete fiction. It didnt change my life but it did make me feel incredibly sad for while

FORT Newbie
    After reading it, about all the things that happened to the girl, I felt scared. I had never tried drugs before the book and especially not after. I didn;t want to end up like that.

+ Reply to Thread