+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: The Book That Changed Your Life

There have been many books but the one that changed my life most recently:

Sylvia Browne's "Adventures of a Psychic"

FORT Fan
    Harry Potter Books!! It's the first time I got addicted to reading. Now I'm a bookworm!! Before I was more a couch potatoe. lol.

A book called The Final Hour by Taylor Caldwell. It caused me to really start thinking seriously about God for the first time.

Fort Member
    Two books

Daddy Long Legs by Jean Webster
    My Darling My Hambuger by Paul Zindel

I had a fairly turbulant adloesence and both books did wonders to show me how normal I was and that it was ok to dream. They were the first books that really had an impact on what I thought of myself and how I lived my life. I tended to and still do read books more to escape than to learn, but sometimes even a trashy romance novel can make me think.
    I started adding bitter chocolate to my cheese platters when we had dinner guests thanks to a trashy novel by Jackie Collins I can not remember the name of but it sounded so good I had to try chocolate and cheese and loved it
    I drink long island ice teas thanks to Tales of The city by Armstead Maupin
    There are others but I am starting to get a bit embarrassed that i can be so influenced by fictional characters
    hahaha

Cold Sassy Tree, and A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius.

Quote Originally Posted by canuckinchile
    Cold Sassy Tree, and A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius.
    I have read ABOUT A Heartbreaking Work Of Staggering Genius- I want to read it- who's the author?
    Go Tigers!

Organizing my sock drawer RBmumsie's Avatar
    I was raised in a very conservative, religous household. At 14 I read Stranger In A Strange Land by Heinlein. I was never the same again.
    Well-Behaved Women Seldom Make History...Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Quote Originally Posted by snoopy
    I have read ABOUT A Heartbreaking Work Of Staggering Genius- I want to read it- who's the author?
    Dave Eggers.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

While I love the works of A.A. Milne and Beatrix Potter, I have to say the book that changed my life (as a reader) was "Ramona the Pest" by Beverly Cleary. That's when I discovered reading ALL the books by a particular author. My favorite by her was, and still is, "Socks". (about a kitty, naturally.) I still have my childhood copy, and read through it once in a while. Her books are what got me obsessed with book COLLECTIONS.

*I still remember the moment in the library when I realized she wrote OTHER books than Ramona....I pulled every one of them off the shelf and carted them to the librarian, only to be told I could only check out TWO at a time.*

While I've read many many books that have affected me, influenced me, educated me, I still have to choose "Ramona the Pest."
    Always looking for cat treats!

Breathe out, so I can breathe you in...

There are two books that come to mind. My aunt, who shared her love for books with me at an early age, gave me an early edition of Little Women for my 12th birthday. I've read it more times than I can count. The pages are tattered and the cover is worn but I can't bear to get a newer copy. As a young girl, I most identified with Jo since I was a tomboy myself. She was so torn between her inner self, her true desires and the code of behavior she was expected to follow.

And Still I Rise by Maya Angelou is another that's been in my collection for years. I grew up in a small town in Louisiana that was (and still is) filled with alot of prejudice and bigotry. Looking back, I recognize certain things as such but growing up I was pretty much blind to it. Thankfully, I was raised to accept everyone regardless of race. One of my best friends in elementary school was black. We hung out in different circles as we got older but remained friends. During our freshman year (predominately white high school), she did a dramatic reading from the book and was booed by the audience of 9th and 10th graders. Most people would have stopped mid-reading(myself included) but she didn't stop until she finished. From the third row on the right side of the auditorium, I stood and applauded...amidst the boos and by myself other than a handful of black students in the back and the teachers. She smiled at me and later gave me the book. I've treasured it to this day because it reminds me of her courage.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

+ Reply to Thread