+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213

Thread: The Book That Changed Your Life

Re: The Book That Changed Your Life

My 5th grade teacher read "My Side of the Mountain" to us - a couple chapters every Friday. I couldn't wait for Fridays to come. It's about a boy who lives in a huge hollow tree on a mountain his family owns. Sort of Waldon Pond for kids. Beautiful. Still one of my favorite books. I should see if it's available on Kindle!
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Mya26;2212173;
    The Bible.
    You are a very wise person.

FORT Fogey

There are a lot of books from childhood that influenced me, but in terms of changing my life, it would have to be Willa Cather's My Antonia, because it gave me my dissertation topic, which helped get me my doctorate, which helped get me my career.

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

An Open Heart by the Dalai Lama changed the way I view the world, my place in it, and everyone who crosses my path.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

An elementary teacher once read "Bridge To Terabithia" to our class and it just cemented my love of reading. It also prompted me to start writing. Sadly, I don't write anymore, but I was quite good during my school days. I won several awards and had several of my essays displayed in the English departments 'trophy' case.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

I discovered a love of reading as a child, and one of the best books I remember reading was The Island of the Blue Dolphins. I remember being so impressed by the courage of the young heroine, and how gutsy she was, stranded alone for years on a little island. I'm now reading it to my daughters. I also think The Hobbit changed my life in a way, because it led me to read The Lord of the Rings at around age 11, and I knew I could tackle any book, and I discovered the complete joy of being transported via the pages to another complete world.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea;4137135;
    I discovered a love of reading as a child, and one of the best books I remember reading was The Island of the Blue Dolphins. I remember being so impressed by the courage of the young heroine, and how gutsy she was, stranded alone for years on a little island. I'm now reading it to my daughters. I also think The Hobbit changed my life in a way, because it led me to read The Lord of the Rings at around age 11, and I knew I could tackle any book, and I discovered the complete joy of being transported via the pages to another complete world.
    I remember reading The Island of the Blue Dolphins as a kid too. I loved it!

My mom first read The Hobbit to me when I was 7. It was my favorite book for many years and I still read it pretty regularly. In fact, I listened to the unabridged book on CD when I drove to see my family for Christmas. I have the trilogy on CD too and just started Fellowship today.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213