+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: The Book That Changed Your Life

Re: The Book That Changed Your Life

I have read so many books in my life, I couldn't even count them. Many of them have stuck with me throughout my life, and I have thought back fondly, or not fondly if the case may be. A lot of them affected me deeply. A lot of them were listed upthread. But I can say with much confidence that the 2 books that first ever changed and shaped my life, and the 2 books that after all the years and all the books still touch a nerve for me above all others are:

The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein

and

The Last Flower by James Thurber

You can read The Last Flower here:
    The Last Flower by James Thurber
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

I don't know about life changing, but books that are memorable that I read in my life are..

Little Women-Louisa May Alcott.. I think Marmee is a great character she makes even the readers see their own flaws no matter what is, and it becomes a self improving lesson. I think most girls can relate to at least one of the march girls, as I related to Beth the most out all four girls.

Sleepers- Lorenzo Carcaterra.. I will never forget that book especially John O'Riley. I grew very attached to his character in the book.

Peter- (forgot author) ..It's a YA book I read in Junior High about a boy who was confused about his sexual orientation,and he only felt comfotable confiding about it to his brother's friend who was gay.

The Body- Stephen King.. taught me a real deal about true friendship between four friends, and I love the movie Stand By Me which it's based off of r.i.p River.

The Outsiders- S.E.Hinton.. I loved the friendship between all the main characters, especially johnny, and Ponyboy being the two closest in age. The Curtis brothers relationship with one another, and the ups and downs they go through together.
    "You keep going until you find happiness in helping people realize their dreams"- Gene Kelly

Book that changed my life, eh? The first book that ever captivated me was Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone. I read it like 8 years or so ago -- Before I read the book, I suck at English. I really do. English isn't my first language, and I have to credit the book for helping me with English. Well -- after that, I'm pretty much became a novel freak. lol. Is that considered as "life-changing"? :p

FORT Fogey

This is a really good question and a good thread.

There are a number of books that have done that for me. One of the ones that come to mind is Diane Stein's "The Women's Book of Healing."

Also Kevin Sherwood's "The Art of Spiritual Healing" and Liz Simpson's "The Book of Chakra Healing."

This will probably sound silly, but when I was in third grade I had a wonderful teacher who read out loud to our class. That year she read us "The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles" by Julie Andrews and "Where the Red Fern Grows" by Wilson Rawls. Those books were the beginning of a lifelong love of reading for me, so I consider them life changing.

As a young teen I read "Magnificent Obsession" by Lloyd C. Douglas. Later I saw the movie with Jane Wyman and Rock Hudson. This was, if I remember correctly my first venture out from The Nancy Drew series or True Romance magazines. It was a book that stayed with me all my life and a movie that remains as my all time favorite "oldie". It was this book that began my hunger for reading.
    Choices are the hinges of destiny.

Just visiting this planet nanaslbkp's Avatar

'Gap Creek' by Robert Morgan
    What a touching and heartfelt book! It would be enjoyed by anyone who reads it. The characters were profoundly illustrated and it really made me thank the good Lord that I did not go through those trials.

FORT Newbie

Harry Potter. It started my love of books, turned me into a bookaholic, showed me that I could write my own books and stories and I credit it with getting me into an English literature course that I'm currently studying in university.

It may sound funny but "Tales Of a Fourth Grade Nothing". It was the first real chapter book that I read in grade 3 and really showed me the joy of reading.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Not really my own books... but watching my kids develop a love of reading (memorable moments--when we caught them reading under the covers after lights out---tut tuted of course, then closed the door and high fived each other!)...for my oldest he read and reread a big fat book called The B.F.G. (for Big Friendly Giant) over and over in grade school. For my younger son, we were driving across the country, and whoever wasn't driving would take turns reading aloud to the kids in back--my sig. other was reading a kid's biography of Hitler (no, neither of us is a Hitler fan, it's a "never forget" thing) and I was reading Gone with the Wind, with suitable commentary on the unrealistic portrayal of slave life tossed in. Anyway, we were about 3 chapters into GWTW and were taking a reading break (they had a big box of other stuff sitting between them in the back seat for entertainment) and the younger one couldn't wait for the next GWTW round and started reading ahead in it. Happy days.

+ Reply to Thread