+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What kind of cookbook do you want?

I don't cook much, but I love to look at cookbooks!

When I actually use a cookbook I want tons of pictures, of each stage of the prep. I can't visualize it from just reading, so pictures are good.

I also like ones that are easy and don't require a lot of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone
    I've been looking for cookbooks for just 2 people. My kids are grown (1 married and 1 away at college) but I still cook like I always have out of habit and we end up with too much left over.
    I have a cookbook for two that I got when I was first married. I'll look for it tomorrow to give you the name...I think it was pretty good. I'm also back in this situation as our daughter has left for college, but I've been freezing the leftovers. It's nice to be able to simply go into the freezer, and voila, dinner just needs to be thawed.

I looked around online, and this looks promising here.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

Quote Originally Posted by justCoz
    I don't cook much, but I love to look at cookbooks!

When I actually use a cookbook I want tons of pictures, of each stage of the prep. I can't visualize it from just reading, so pictures are good.

I also like ones that are easy and don't require a lot of time.
    How about trying one of those 4-ingredient cookbooks?
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

giz
    Yum, I'm testing other people's recipes (to see what I'd like to include out of my own repetoire) and have just discovered Rugalach (not in my cache of recipes, so can't include!). Wow, even the raw dough is amazing. The places I could go with rugalach. Oi vey.

I would love to find a good French vegetarian cookbook. I've discovered that I love French food above all others (oh my, the things they can do with a pizza), and Mr. Rattus is a vegetarian. Since I cook very rarely, I would love to make something that we can both enjoy that isn't pasta based.

Would anyone happen to know of one? I (and Mr. Rattus) will be eternally grateful.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

giz
    Well, yes Rattus, as it happens I do know one. The Vegetarian Table: France by Georgeann Brennan (who is fabulous), which is only $5.99 from Amazon right now. Most French cookbooks I've seen seem to have a lot of veggie stuff - rattatouille, salade nicoise, onion tarte. But the Vegetarian Table series are great, they also do Japan, Thailand, Mexico and, I think, America, India and possibly Italy.

p.s. I'm a pesco-vegetarian so eat my salade nicoise with tuna, which is traditional. Should Mr. Rattus be more highly evolved than me, he could try salade nicoise with fake chicken or summat.

Thank you Giz, you are fabulous. I am now adding at least the French book and possibly the Indian (though I live in India Bazaar, so it seems a tad moot) to the huge pile of books I am planning on ordering from Amazon or Indigo as soon as my Visa bill dips below a $1,000 and shows signs of staying there for more than a week.

As promised, I will be eternally grateful.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar
    I bought a food steamer last Christmas and couldn't find any cookbooks with recipes for using it. It said you could make hard-boiled eggs in it but without instructions, how do you know how long to cook the eggs? I don't even know how to steam rice in it. Do you have to partially cook the rice first or not? I was so disappointed that the steamer didn't come with an instruction booklet. It was a major brand too but it only included instructions on how to set the steamer up, not how to use it. I wish somebody would make a cookbook on how to cook with a steamer.

My favorite things to cook are appetizers and desserts. I'll buy any cookbooks that feature quick, easy to make finger foods that don't take a lot of exotic ingredients and that everybody enjoys.

Here's your sign JAFO'S PRINCESS's Avatar
    Rattus- If you eat chicken my dad ( chef ) gave me an awesome recipie for chicken marsala with veggies. I guess you could make just the veggies....well, it's excellent so if you'd like a copy just let me know.
    I might as well work. I'm in a bad mood anyway.
    "I like to base my help on how happy you expect to be." Dogbert's tech support.

I give Joy of Cooking as a house warming present often and really recommend it.

I have two issues of Joy of Cooking. One from 1978 and one from 1990. They are both different and invaluable. The 1978 version tells the difference between gray and red squirrels (gray are better!)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast