+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: For really serious book geeks...

Re: For really serious book geeks...

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3265512;
    I can't do audio books either. I find my attention wanders too much when I listen. I prefer reading and I too read faster than I can listen.

I also LOVE mysteries. I probably read more mysteries than I do other genres. I like other genres a lot and read a lot of biographies too, but mysteries are my main love.

I think because my parents started me on a set called The Happy Hollisters when I was aq kid. I've never met anyone else that has heard of them, but it was a family that solved mysteries. Then I moved on to Nancy Drew, Trixie Belden and Cherry Ames. So it was probably my early exposure to mysteries that has made me love them to this day.

I just think it's nice to be able to talk books with people that share a similar interest. Too often I have found that some people tend to only want to talk books that are GREAT
    literature. Nothing wrong with that, but I read other stuff besides "great" literature and like to talk about it as well. And most of the book clubs I've been exposed to are just too pretentious. That's why I like my friend with the Phd, that can talk great literature and then trashy chick lit and doesn't think less of me if I read a Stephanie Plum book instead of Dickens or someone like that. Not that there's anything wrong with Dickens or stuff like that, but it's not ALL I read either and I'm guessing that for most people it isn't all they read either. I find my friend a lot more fun than a room full of women trying to impress each other with the "high brow" books they read when I know full well some of them read trashy crap too but would never admit it.
    Oh. My. Gosh. I have every one of the Trixie Belden books, and all but 2 of the Happy Hollisters! Some of the HH books are the ones I got when I was 10 years old, and others were bought at antique stores. I can't believe someone else has read them! Other than my family, I don't know of anyone else who has!

I'm also a fan of mysteries; mostly the "cozy" type but some of the more "hard core" authors, too. And although I read faster than I listen, I've come to enjoy audio books while I'm driving. So far, I've mostly listened to books I already know, but I have done a couple "newbies" and enjoyed them.
    I never met a piece of chocolate I didn't like.

Quote Originally Posted by SR5Rfan;3266261;
    Oh. My. Gosh. I have every one of the Trixie Belden books, and all but 2 of the Happy Hollisters! Some of the HH books are the ones I got when I was 10 years old, and others were bought at antique stores. I can't believe someone else has read them! Other than my family, I don't know of anyone else who has!

I'm also a fan of mysteries; mostly the "cozy" type but some of the more "hard core" authors, too. And although I read faster than I listen, I've come to enjoy audio books while I'm driving. So far, I've mostly listened to books I already know, but I have done a couple "newbies" and enjoyed them.
    Count me in! I LOVED the Happy Hollisters (and Bobbsey Twins) as a child. I wish I had kept those books. I also loved Cherry Ames. Trixie Belden was my favorite though. I have all but two of the books in that series and I am going to look into getting those two soon.
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

MRD

Wow, I can't believe you guys have read the Happy Hollister's. I wish I had kept my books too. My mother saved a lot of my children's books and my daughter now has them, but she did not save any of the HH or Trixie, Nancy or Cherry.

I can't listen to any talk radio or audio in the car. It affects my driving. Just like I can't talk on the cell phone when I'm driving. I'm weird like that.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I have a few other books from childhood, too, and a couple I've bought on eBay or at antique stores as "memories". The Trixie Belden ones I got at Big Lots when it used to be Pic'n'Save, in paperback. I have the hardback of TB & the Mystery Off Glen Road (book 5, I believe) that my best friend at the time gave me for my birthday one year. Some of the HH books that I bought in antique stores still have dust jackets ...
    I never met a piece of chocolate I didn't like.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3265953;
    I like Ann Rule too. Every Breath You Take was written about a murder in a town we lived in for a long time. We knew the subdivision well where it took place and believe me, we got a LOT of media coverage on that murder and the subsequent trials and tribulations. But she did a very good job with the book.

Well next Mon. I should be starting college classes, so I better finish all my fun reading this weekend as I am probably not going to be reading much for pleasure. Although I'm going to be finishing my history degree, so I should enjoy most of the reading I will have to do.

My daughter wants to be a librarian now and is wanting to go to school for library science as she says that it should be fun to read. Hm, I never much liked the books that I was always assigned to read, so I have to wonder if she's going to like it or not. School that is. I think she'd love being a librarian.
    Every Breath you Take was great. I can imagine how busy your town was during that painful period.
    Good Luck on the college classes. I'm sure you will do great.

MRD

It was really sad too. The 2 older girls and the 4 babies without a mother. The older girls were on tv quite a bit because of the bitter custody battle for them and of course, the news constantly showed a photo of the quads every time they talked about the case. It got really heated up when they were trying to extradite Del Toro from Mexico too. The ex-husband was a nut job.

That case is what got me started on Ann Rule's books. I had never read her before, even though I had heard of her because of the Ted Bundy book (another Florida case). But I had watched the coverage so when her book came out, I read it and really liked her work and read more of it later. True crime is hard though.
    Fictional murder mysteries are easier as they are fictional, but Rule's books are about real people and real tragedy, so I find it a lot more emotional than fictional murder books.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Minor threadjack here. Didn't I see someone in this thread discussing whether or not to categorize one's books a while back?

In any case, I'm definitely pro-categorization. (I know: shocker! ) Not only are all my books alphabetized and, in case I own several books by the same author, placed in the correct chronological order (Carrie before Salem's Lot, for instance), I also categorize all my books according to genre, language, edition (paperbacks and hardbacks just don't match from an aesthetic point of view) in order to keep things as neat and retracable as possible. I own A LOT of books, and if I didn't have them all in the right place, I wouldn't have a clue where to look!

Here are a couple of pics of my library. Sadly, there was no room for hardcover fiction, biographies, young adult and poetry, so those books are currently residing in another room.

Pinhead, king of the horror/dark fantasy section (or at least part of it). Sadly, he had a close encounter with one of my cats recently - hence the mutilated arms.

Stella the Cat, queen of the English paperback fiction, D-F section.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Geek, I love that room! I think the highest compliment I can give you is that I just want to sit down and start reading. Could you start brewing a pot of tea, I'll be over in just a minute.

Quote Originally Posted by brunette trixie;3279596;
    Geek, I love that room! I think the highest compliment I can give you is that I just want to sit down and start reading. Could you start brewing a pot of tea, I'll be over in just a minute.
    Tea's ready in a minute!
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

I love your library geek! It makes me want to join you too.... corner chair, book in hand, purring kitty close at hand, what good be better?
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234