+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: For really serious book geeks...

Re: For really serious book geeks...

When I read a hard cover I put the flap of the dust jacket over the read pages to mark my page. I HATE dog-eared pages, it seems so disrespectful. For paperbacks- whatever is handy makes a good bookmark - I can't hold on to one to save my life.

Here's another question:

My daughter came home from school a few weeks ago with the task of counting how many rooms in our house had books in them. When all was said and done ... every room in our house had at least 2 books in them. (including cookbooks in the kitchen)
    How about you?
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

The ones I feel a special fondness for, I keep. If I feel an author is popular, and others in my community will enjoy them; and the book is in pristine condition - then I donate them to the local library. Usually, the library puts them on the shelf but occasionally, if one is in used condition or the library has a zillion copies of it already they will place them in the library resale section which still profits the library. Others, I give to the local used bookstore as trade/credit for future books I will want.

If I am really attached to an author or a book, I keep it - but most go to the library.

ETA: Duxxy I'd say every room as at least 2 books in it.
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

MRD

Well I've gotten stingy and don't lend out my books anymore either. I have lent books to friends that I either NEVER get back or get back in horrible shape and they never offer to pay for the damage or replace the book. I've had friends that have told me they lost the book, but yet didnt replace it. Books are expensive now. Most hardbacks in the $25 range. So I just quit lending and I tell people, "I'm sorry, but I don't lend out my books anymore, but you can get a copy at the library". I dont' care if they get mad, i'm probably out several hundred dollars for lost or damaged books I've had to replace because I was nice and loaned my books. Paperbacks, I don't care, but don't mess with my hardbacks.

Ok, this may surprise some, but every room in our house has at least 6 books in it except for both bathrooms where there are no books. My bathroom is too small (there is literally no place to put a book down in there) and none of us are bathroom readers anyway.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Well, my place is pretty small but there are books in every room except the little sink/dressing area. And that's only because I'm only there to wash my face or brush my teeth (and I bring my current-reading book with me for that!)

The only ones I still lend books to are my sister (who feels the same way I do about them) and my daughter-in-law (who dog ears HER books but not mine). And I think I want a t-shirt that says "Serious Book Geek"!
    I never met a piece of chocolate I didn't like.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3262403;
    Well I've gotten stingy and don't lend out my books anymore either. I have lent books to friends that I either NEVER get back or get back in horrible shape and they never offer to pay for the damage or replace the book. I've had friends that have told me they lost the book, but yet didnt replace it. Books are expensive now. Most hardbacks in the $25 range. So I just quit lending and I tell people, "I'm sorry, but I don't lend out my books anymore, but you can get a copy at the library". I dont' care if they get mad, i'm probably out several hundred dollars for lost or damaged books I've had to replace because I was nice and loaned my books. Paperbacks, I don't care, but don't mess with my hardbacks.

Ok, this may surprise some, but every room in our house has at least 6 books in it except for both bathrooms where there are no books. My bathroom is too small (there is literally no place to put a book down in there) and none of us are bathroom readers anyway.
    I hear you and that is one reason that I started to donate my books to the library. However, when I was gainfully employed - I would sometimes by an additional copy of trade paper books (and a few hardcover) and keep the perfect copy book for my personal library and lend out the 2nd copy.

I just received a lunch invitation from a friend that I loaned a book too over 2 years ago, and she just found it and wants to return it to me. I always have a label on the inside of my lending books reminding people that it is mine and occasionally would write inside "if found please return to: next to the label" How about that!

I do share books with my mother and sister, but if I want a book to stay perfect for rereading later..... I don't share it - neither of them mind a bit, as they have tons of books themselves.
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

MRD

My mother, grandmother, brother and aunt and I all used to share books and we were all very good about returning them and taking care of them. Sadly, my mom and grandmother have passed and I now live 2 states away from my brother and aunt. So I have ONE person I share books with and that isn't often, but as she has a Phd in Women's literature and she also knows my love of books, she's good about lending to me and also returning MY books. I want her collection. I don't think I've seen so many books outside of public library.
    She's also been an editor. I love talking books with her and its so nice to know someone who has such an advanced degree that also enjoys trashy books on accasion. She says that not ALL her books need be great works of literature. We laugh about that a lot as she says people always assume she is a "high brow" reader when she enjoys a good bestseller or chick lit book too.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3264329;
    My mother, grandmother, brother and aunt and I all used to share books and we were all very good about returning them and taking care of them. Sadly, my mom and grandmother have passed and I now live 2 states away from my brother and aunt. So I have ONE person I share books with and that isn't often, but as she has a Phd in Women's literature and she also knows my love of books, she's good about lending to me and also returning MY books. I want her collection. I don't think I've seen so many books outside of public library.
    She's also been an editor. I love talking books with her and its so nice to know someone who has such an advanced degree that also enjoys trashy books on accasion. She says that not ALL her books need be great works of literature. We laugh about that a lot as she says people always assume she is a "high brow" reader when she enjoys a good bestseller or chick lit book too.

How fortunate for you to have a literary twin to appreciate and share with, I am happy for you!
    I love mysteries of any type. Usually prefer the non-romance ones, but find that after a few intense books/plot lines, I need something romantic or chick lit to balance it off. I have a few friends that I click with like you do, but they love listening to books on DVD, while I prefer reading them (which I do at a faster rate then listening) - so sharing or lending really isn't an option for me with them. But, my small town library is pretty good and they will order in almost anything I request, or borrow it from another for me.

For years I was strictly into nonfiction, and now I have flipped to the world of fiction ...... almost to an extreme..... not sure what that reveals about me but reading is my passion.
    Christopher Reeve

MRD

I can't do audio books either. I find my attention wanders too much when I listen. I prefer reading and I too read faster than I can listen.

I also LOVE mysteries. I probably read more mysteries than I do other genres. I like other genres a lot and read a lot of biographies too, but mysteries are my main love.

I think because my parents started me on a set called The Happy Hollisters when I was aq kid. I've never met anyone else that has heard of them, but it was a family that solved mysteries. Then I moved on to Nancy Drew, Trixie Belden and Cherry Ames. So it was probably my early exposure to mysteries that has made me love them to this day.

I just think it's nice to be able to talk books with people that share a similar interest. Too often I have found that some people tend to only want to talk books that are GREAT
    literature. Nothing wrong with that, but I read other stuff besides "great" literature and like to talk about it as well. And most of the book clubs I've been exposed to are just too pretentious. That's why I like my friend with the Phd, that can talk great literature and then trashy chick lit and doesn't think less of me if I read a Stephanie Plum book instead of Dickens or someone like that. Not that there's anything wrong with Dickens or stuff like that, but it's not ALL I read either and I'm guessing that for most people it isn't all they read either. I find my friend a lot more fun than a room full of women trying to impress each other with the "high brow" books they read when I know full well some of them read trashy crap too but would never admit it.

My favorite of all the genres is mystery, as well. I also love the true crime ones, especially those of Ann Rule. I still enjoy the classics and biographies and non fiction. I try to stay away from the best sellers, as so many are just over hyped, but I will read them if I get a good referral from someone whose opinion I respect. Having been an English major in college, I've just read so many books through the years and I pretty much know what I like and don't like.

MRD

I like Ann Rule too. Every Breath You Take was written about a murder in a town we lived in for a long time. We knew the subdivision well where it took place and believe me, we got a LOT of media coverage on that murder and the subsequent trials and tribulations. But she did a very good job with the book.

Well next Mon. I should be starting college classes, so I better finish all my fun reading this weekend as I am probably not going to be reading much for pleasure. Although I'm going to be finishing my history degree, so I should enjoy most of the reading I will have to do.

My daughter wants to be a librarian now and is wanting to go to school for library science as she says that it should be fun to read. Hm, I never much liked the books that I was always assigned to read, so I have to wonder if she's going to like it or not. School that is. I think she'd love being a librarian.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast