+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: For really serious book geeks...

Re: For really serious book geeks...

I have a question for you book hoarders...

Why do you keep so many of your books? Do you keep all of them?

I love books and I love to read but I don't really feel any attachment to the physical book. I also don't tend to re-read books, only the ones I use as reference like "10 Conversations you need to have with your children" and my Barbara Coloroso books (child and family expert)
    But my reading-for-enjoyment books are all traded in at the used bookstore on a regular basis.
    p.s. (I can't stand clutter)
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Can't speak for the others, of course, but I keep different books for different reasons. Some because they were gifts, some because they're from my childhood, some because I just really liked them and want to reread them. I don't keep ALL of my books (wouldn't have room for air in the apartment!) and in fact have to spend some time sorting through them again. But there are books I'll keep forever and read often. I have quite a few that I can pick up, open to any random spot and immediately be "in" the story! And, I just love the look of bookshelves full of friends!
    I never met a piece of chocolate I didn't like.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by SR5Rfan;3260647;
    Can't speak for the others, of course, but I keep different books for different reasons. Some because they were gifts, some because they're from my childhood, some because I just really liked them and want to reread them. I don't keep ALL of my books (wouldn't have room for air in the apartment!) and in fact have to spend some time sorting through them again. But there are books I'll keep forever and read often. I have quite a few that I can pick up, open to any random spot and immediately be "in" the story! And, I just love the look of bookshelves full of friends!
    Well I was going to answer, but you did it so eloquently that I'll just say: "yeah, what she wrote".

I also keep books that I use for research purposes. I have a lot of history type books that I refer to when I need something for a project or lecture or something.

But mainly I like to re-read my favorite novels.

I mostly check out books from the library, but I have a few authors that I ALWAYS buy their book and some that I discover through the library and liked the book well enough to go buy it and keep it.
    I have books that I've re-read 5 & 6 times. It is like an old friend.
    That said, I don't always keep every book. I just got rid of a slew of paperbacks.

And mine are all on bookshelves in my own weird system of classification, so there is no clutter, just rows of books and I love looking at them. It is like looking at shelves full of old friends.

OK, so I did answer. , but I like SRS's answer too.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I pretty much agree with the others about why I keep books (although "hoarder" has a negative connotation, imo - I prefer "collector" ). I just LOVE them. I love having them around me, I love reading them over and over again. I love the look of a room with bookcases loaded with books (like my living room!). I do get rid of some by passing them on, but not as many as I probably should. Every time I go to cull the herd, so to speak, I see books that I enjoyed so much and think "Well, I may want to read that again." and I can't get rid of it. I did get rid of about 12 boxes of books when I moved into my new house, but I still don't have enough space for them all. I'll just have to buy taller bookcases!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3261506;
    I pretty much agree with the others about why I keep books (although "hoarder" has a negative connotation, imo - I prefer "collector" ). I just LOVE them. I love having them around me, I love reading them over and over again. I love the look of a room with bookcases loaded with books (like my living room!). I do get rid of some by passing them on, but not as many as I probably should. Every time I go to cull the herd, so to speak, I see books that I enjoyed so much and think "Well, I may want to read that again." and I can't get rid of it. I did get rid of about 12 boxes of books when I moved into my new house, but I still don't have enough space for them all. I'll just have to buy taller bookcases!
    When I watch an interview on tv and they have the subject in front of a fully loaded set of bookcases, I get SO jealous. It's like this monster inside of me wants to reach in the tv and snatch all the books. (and I can't concentrate on the interview as I'm trying to read the book titles over their shoulder) I can watch HGTV all day and not feel the same passion about the room makeovers as I do when I see a room lined with fully loaded bookshelves. In fact, I've seen a couple of HGTV shows where they GET RID of the books in the room makeover! The horror!!!!!

My lottery fantasy always includes being able to go in a bookstore and buy
    EVERYTHING I want and then going on Amazon. com and buying even more books and then having a huge room in my new house for all those books and a library ladder. This fantasy comes with a comfy chair and a good light and that would probably be the one room I would live in.

One can NEVER have too many books.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3261537;
    In fact, I've seen a couple of HGTV shows where they GET RID of the books in the room makeover! The horror!!!!!
    Oooo, I HATE those shows! I've seen them do that on Clean Sweep where a homeowner has a bunch of books and the organizer tells them they have to get rid of 90% of them. That's when I'd point to the door and say "Get out of my house!"

One can NEVER have too many books.
    Amen
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I saw an episode of Trading Spaces where the designer (I think it was Hildi, but could be mistaken on that) took ALL THE DUST JACKETS off the books on the shelves. I almost died - and screamed at the tv - and desperately hoped that the jackets weren't thrown away so the owners could replace them. Don't people realize that if someone has left the dust jackets on the books it is because they WANT them there? And - in some cases - books are more valuable with them on. Not that I keep books for their monetary value. But still - - don't touch my books!

And dust jackets are there to protect your books, too. I would rather see a room full of books that tell a little about the person who owns them than a sterile room with no personality any day.

MRD

Oh to know there are other serious booklovers like me out there. I take the dust jacket off while I read, so it doesn't get messed up and then put it back on when I finished and shelve the book. I don't dog ear the pages either, I use a book mark (usually a torn envelope and even occasionally a piece of tissue, I can't keep book marks that are meant to be bookmarks for some reason. I always lose them).

Well if one of those clean sweep people came to my house, they'd be more horrified by hubby's massive collection of junk and paper that I probably wouldn't have to worry about them wanting to get rid of my books. At least I've got his stuff confined to one area of the office and then the basement. And my books are fairly neat and all on shelves except the "current reading pile" which is beside the bed. It's a little small at the moment, only 4 books. I will need to go to the library soon.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3261971;
    Oh to know there are other serious booklovers like me out there. I take the dust jacket off while I read, so it doesn't get messed up and then put it back on when I finished and shelve the book. I don't dog ear the pages either, I use a book mark (usually a torn envelope and even occasionally a piece of tissue, I can't keep book marks that are meant to be bookmarks for some reason. I always lose them).
    I do the same thing with the dust jackets! And dog eared pages make me cringe (both my DIL and best friend do that - but not to MY books!). In fact, the man that my best friend is dating folds back the cover/pages of paperbacks so he can hold the book one-handed! *shudder*

And - an empty straw wrapper makes a perfect bookmark - not that I would know from experience or anything

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast