+ Reply to Thread

Thread: NYT Bestseller Lists (as of 6/19/05)

NYT Bestseller Lists (as of 6/19/05)

HARDCOVER FICTION
    1. THE MERMAID CHAIR, by Sue Monk Kidd
    2. 4TH OF JULY, by James Patterson and Maxine Paetro
    3. TRUE BELIEVER, by Nicholas Sparks
    4. THE DA VINCI CODE, by Dan Brown
    5. A LONG WAY DOWN, by Nick Hornby

HARDCOVER NONFICTION
    1. 1776, by David McCullough
    2. THE WORLD IS FLAT, by Thomas L. Friedman
    3. FREAKONOMICS, by Steven D. Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner
    4. BLINK, by Malcolm Gladwell
    5. ON BULL----, by Harry G. Frankfurt
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

I've noticed since John last posted the bestseller list, Mermaid Chair has shot to the top, and DVC is back in the top five under fiction.

1776 has made a strong debut under non-fiction.

Connelly and Sandford--at least this week--are nowhere to be found in the top five under fiction.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

I heard that Mermaid Chair was very good. All the girls in my school are crazy to read it, yet I personally think it's way too advanced for them, or me for that matter.

The book fans that I know who have read The Mermaid Chair have really enjoyed it, AntmSTarTa. But they, too, found the book to be challenging, and these are people who don't shy from challenging reads.

Leia-Jakita-Arendt OnMyLunchBreak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by phat32
    HARDCOVER NONFICTION

5. ON BULL----, by Harry G. Frankfurt

I picked this up on Friday, almost done with it (very quick read). I was particulary fascinated by the differentiation betwee lying and BSing. Made for a good starting place to begin thinking about how our language comes to exist as it does and exactly what we think we are understanding in the minds of our conversation partners.

I really enjoyed it!

I'm glad to see The Mermaid Chair is doing so well. I read Sue Monk Kidd's first novel, The Secret Life of Bees, a few months ago and loved it, so I'm definitely pick up this one. I'll probably wait for the paperback version though; unless it's a new Paul Auster or Joyce Carol Oates, I hardly ever treat myself to a paperback. The new Nick Hornby will probably also have to wait for a while, even though I adored High Fidelity.

I can't believe The Da Vinci Code is still at number five. Is there _anyone_ out there who hasn't read it yet? I know people that usually never read who read it. Personally, I found it to be a pretty decent read; fast-paced and intruiging, but I never thought of it as more than a decent crime novel.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

CCL
    Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl
    I can't believe The Da Vinci Code is still at number five. Is there _anyone_ out there who hasn't read it yet?
    Yep - I call her mom. She has the book on cd, actually, and I don't think she's even listened to all of it yet.

Hm, must look into The Mermaid Chair.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

+ Reply to Thread